do your family and friends think you insane because of audio? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Well, I had as much money in my audio system as in my car for many years, I guess.

I wanted a new Corvette for 40 years, and now that I am retired and have the money, what the hell.

I can't take it with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

Hm, maybe my friends think I'm insane because I'm the other way: way more money in my audio than in my car lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
People will often comment on how beautiful my speakers are (Salk SCST & SCSC) and will ask how much I paid. I tell them and also mention that it's a deal for the quality. That's when they look at me like a lunatic.
But, I also have 10s of thousands of dollars of custom knives. So most who know me are used to my "crazy" spending habits.
post #33 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeGuy View Post

People will often comment on how beautiful my speakers are (Salk SCST & SCSC) and will ask how much I paid. I tell them and also mention that it's a deal for the quality. That's when they look at me like a lunatic.
But, I also have 10s of thousands of dollars of custom knives. So most who know me are used to my "crazy" spending habits.

I've never had the opportunity to hear the salk speakers but they sure are pretty!

I worked in audio sales for about 3 years and the majority of people think it's ludicrous to spend more than $500 for a pair of speakers. then you tell them that they need to buy a receiver to power them and it completely blows their mind. Most people literally don't know what to say and start stumbling over their words when I tell them how much my MartinLogans retail for biggrin.gif

I guess a lot of people don't realize that there is almost no limit to how much one can spend on audio.
post #34 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 404
This is interesting and I guess my answer to the OP's question is no. Since my system is a dedicated Home Theater system, those who experience it just assume (correctly BTW) that I have many thousands of dollars invested in it. Both the audio and video are better than commercial theater quality.

It's a clear case of the end, justifying the means ... wink.gif

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #35 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

I worked in audio sales for about 3 years and the majority of people think it's ludicrous to spend more than $500 for a pair of speakers. then you tell them that they need to buy a receiver to power them and it completely blows their mind.

That's because everyone knows that TVs already have speakers and if you need anything better a $400 HTIAB will give you movie theater sound in your 400 sq foot family room. tongue.gif
post #36 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

That's because everyone knows that TVs already have speakers and if you need anything better a $400 HTIAB will give you movie theater sound in your 400 sq foot family room. tongue.gif

Quote:

I've never had the opportunity to hear the salk speakers but they sure are pretty!

I worked in audio sales for about 3 years and the majority of people think it's ludicrous to spend more than $500 for a pair of speakers. then you tell them that they need to buy a receiver to power them and it completely blows their mind. Most people literally don't know what to say and start stumbling over their words when I tell them how much my MartinLogans retail for biggrin.gif

I guess a lot of people don't realize that there is almost no limit to how much one can spend on audio.

lol i was looking at speakers on my school computer in class and the kid behind me goes.. "what are those" i said "speakers" he goes "are they better than beats?" i said yes, then he asked how much they cost. i said they were about 10 grand and i was saving up for them. his eyes opened really wide and he asked if they had a "motor" built in... i guess he meant an amp. lol. but ya hes another kid that thinks im insane because im looking at 10 grand speakers then he says "you could just get beats and they would be better than those speakers and you would save money"

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
post #37 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotInvolved View Post

lol i was looking at speakers on my school computer in class and the kid behind me goes.. "what are those" i said "speakers" he goes "are they better than beats?" i said yes, then he asked how much they cost. i said they were about 10 grand and i was saving up for them. his eyes opened really wide and he asked if they had a "motor" built in... i guess he meant an amp. lol. but ya hes another kid that thinks im insane because im looking at 10 grand speakers then he says "you could just get beats and they would be better than those speakers and you would save money"

I know what you are saying but IMO that kid isn't completely wrong... I've never heard "beats" headphones and I suspect (like other "monster" products) they are as much or more about marketing than performance. BUT, A $500 investment in the right DAC/Headphone Amp & Headphones will probably sound "better" than most loudspeaker systems costing much more, and if you bump that budget to $1500 you'll have close to the state of the art for headphones. I had a $150 pair of Koss headphones that served me well through all of highschool and sounded amazing, before I lost them. More recently, a $200 set of in ear "ultimate ears" buds were a revelation to me.
post #38 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
And just imagine the fun of inviting 6 guest over and watching a movie with all your guest in headphones...

And I would argue that a great speaker, in a great room, will sound better than great headphones. Sometime the room affects can be bad, sometimes they can be good!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #39 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

I know what you are saying but IMO that kid isn't completely wrong... I've never heard "beats" headphones and I suspect (like other "monster" products) they are as much or more about marketing than performance. BUT, A $500 investment in the right DAC/Headphone Amp & Headphones will probably sound "better" than most loudspeaker systems costing much more, and if you bump that budget to $1500 you'll have close to the state of the art for headphones. I had a $150 pair of Koss headphones that served me well through all of highschool and sounded amazing, before I lost them. More recently, a $200 set of in ear "ultimate ears" buds were a revelation to me.

Headphones, no matter how good can't compete against a good HT system. Especially the caliber system RMK has. With that type of system, you feel about as much as you hear. I am talking about HT use, mainly, but it also applies to music.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #40 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

And just imagine the fun of inviting 6 guest over and watching a movie with all your guest in headphones...

And I would argue that a great speaker, in a great room, will sound better than great headphones. Sometime the room affects can be bad, sometimes they can be good!

I may have opened up a can of worms there... the OP mentioned listening to music alone in his room and for most people I know critical music listening is often done alone and that is the context of my comment. In his case he mentions listening at near reference levels but only when nobody else is home (at least when he thinks no one else is home tongue.gif).

IMO for solitary (obviously rolleyes.gif) listening in 2 channels a comfortable headphone and amp combo retailing for $500 sounds far better than the equivalent dollars (and perhaps multiples more) spent on amplification, loudspeakers, processing, and room treatments for a loudspeaker system.
post #41 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Headphones, no matter how good can't compete against a good HT system. Especially the caliber system RMK has. With that type of system, you feel about as much as you hear. I am talking about HT use, mainly, but it also applies to music.

I agree, but as I mention in my post above. A "decent" two channel system for music listening is far more expensive than an equivalent sounding headphone/amp combo.
post #42 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I wasn't being completely serious...but watching my 13 yr old nephew and three of his buddies all sitting in front of a computer with headphones on while playing mindcraft...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #43 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 127
My wife told me once that she doesn't understand why sounds are coming from the sides (aka surround speakers) when the TV picture is up front!!! And I though for a monent and realized she is right! Why?

Then I told her this needs some more technologial development till we can have a TV screen that stretches out all around us in a semi-circle. Untill then we can only hear a car move out on the left, but can not see it! cool.giftongue.gifwink.gif
post #44 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
There is probably less that 10% of the population that has anything more than a basic htib or 2 channel system. I got into audio equipment at an early age. I bought my first stereo system (long before ht came into play) with my 8th grade graduation money. I have been tweaking and upgrading for 40 years now. I have a 7 channel system with 4 subs, a 3d projector and a very good pair of headphones and headphone amp. I'm sure I have much more cash tied up in my a/v addiction than anything besides my home. My wife knew what she was getting herself into the first time she saw my apartment (7 years ago when we first met) and never gives me grief when she sees new equipment. My family and friends call me the mad scientist of a/v, they all enjoy watching flicks or jamming out at my house.

post #45 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkust View Post

It doesn't get any better when you get a few more years under your belt. I've got a 6000 square foot house, am an executive in a multinational company, would technically have a nearly endless hometheater budget and only now have been putting in place my first midlevel system and whole house audio at the chagrin of my wife. I literally hear about this topic every single day from her. Everything you do at some point is a compromise to keep someone happy. She even whined about how much I was spending on just basic midlevel stuff as if it matters on little bit. Something about audio and video is so polarizing. I've got 10 more boxes of components and gear on the way this week and can only imagine her reaction.

I can relate with that (other than the 6,000 sq/ft house wink.gif)

My wife went almost catatonic when I put these in the house.

Interestingly, she will (usually) freely admit that she's never heard anything sound better....  but for her, it's 100% asthetics first, sound second.  She wants to be able to close them in a cabinet and hide them.  I offered to hide them behind a wall...  but she decined.  (women!!!)

I catch her fairly often grabbing one of the large dogs front paws, or picking up one of the smaller dogs and dancing with them while someting she likes is playing.

post #46 of 46 Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I am fortunate in that I don't really have the problems with the "better half" that many of you have listed. My HT is in a detached garage that has been converted so issues of asthetics and hiding the "goods" never enter the equation here. Early on, I had to deal with blow-back when the upgradeitus bug hit but was usually able to put that one to rest pronto by pointing out the expenses related to all the various clothes, shoes and most especially the 35 different diet programs she has enrolled in over the years. But now she completely understands and actually will be the one who suggests we go out to the Cave and watch something.

As far as friends and family thinking I'm crazy?.................yeah, maybe I get that a bit with the "behind the back" chatter. But that is instantly put to rest when they come in and experience the fruits of my labor and what "good sound" and video looks and sounds like. Their jaw flappin ceases immediately and becomes more like jaw dropping when the action starts.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Beats Rhymes Life The Travels Of A Tribe Called Quest Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Beats by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page