do your family and friends think you insane because of audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
at first, my family was fine with me getting speakers. that was 10 months ago... now i have 5.2 surround in a small bedroom with ALL floorstanding speakers. even my center channel. my mom actually thinks im INSANE and my sister thinks im a weirdo because of all the money spent and my growing interest in quality audio. my dad says he doesnt understand me because of all the speakers and then my friends just think i should sell everything and get a beats by dre beat box because they say it will sound better even though they never heard my system. they also think im retarded because i spent 300 dollars on decent headphones and i could of got beats. once again they say they will sound better.

well my question is.. do any of you have similar experiences with things like this?

and it gets real awkward when my mom walks into my room when im listening to a record, all of the lights out, receiver turned to -10db, and im staring blankly into the wall because im so focused on listening. they think im actually insane.

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
i had a deftec system for years thought it sounded pretty good wife said whats wrong with just tv speakers,just bought a ascend system way better than the def tecs wife says whats wrong with the def tecs i cant tell no difference i think she can tell a difference she just thinks we could put the money on something else.
post #3 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
^^
This something you will need to learn how to accept. I have lots of family & friends that did not understand my passion towards sound and vision. They all love to watch & listen at my house house though, I would explain my decisions to them, only asking nothing in return, I enjoy trying to get the most out of a budget that is not limitless, my daughter has 2 semesters of grad school remaining.

I guess in conclusion, If I can buy a piece with a purpose for my system and it conforms to the 'rules', I can go for it. My wife is pretty cool most of the time,other times I am shot down in flames. This is a hobby that not every one knows much about, just don't get into debt to keep playing!

Steve
post #4 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You might be insane. eek.gif

Luckily, if you have this incurable audio-affliction, you are in good company!

There may come a time in your life when you need to prioritize.
There will come a time in your life when you'll have to compromise.
As long as you can recognize those moments, and respond semi-reasonably, then "they" won't be able to commit you to a padded room.

There are roadblocks along your path for sure, I have some tips:

Although you may be able to forego food and other "sane" necessities to stretch your budget that extra little bit, if/when you get to the point where you have to feed kids or pets you should be careful not to expect them to sacrifice the same.

Headphones are certainly an effective tool to keep your obsession slightly hidden. Especially a good noise-cancelling set that does not allow the others around you to hear the speed at which you are causing yourself deafness! Attempt, as much as you can, to allow your friends to think that "Beats" is good. You do not need their competition when deals on "real headphones" crop up. This could really suit you well if you ever experience dorm-life or apartment living. Headphones will help you keep your "cover" as a normal person.

Right now you have a natural "man cave" in that you basically have a room in your parents house. However you may have to work harder as life moves on to carve out that niche where your Cerwin Vega crush isn't so obvious to the everyday visitor or cohabitant! Call it a "Listening Room" for the more upper-crust friends you may meet along the way; it sounds better than "Man Cave". But separate this space from your general family-and-friends entertainment space. Like the Bat-Cave, you should share your inner sanctum with only those who can appreciate the depth of your plunge into this dark spiral! Fool the mere mortals by offering them some other "entertainment room" where you can rotate in your B-Stock and appear less-insane.

If you keep these tips in mind, and learn tricks of your own, you will be able to obscure your audiophile obsession "just enough"!

Good luck young Padawan!
post #5 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It doesn't get any better when you get a few more years under your belt. I've got a 6000 square foot house, am an executive in a multinational company, would technically have a nearly endless hometheater budget and only now have been putting in place my first midlevel system and whole house audio at the chagrin of my wife. I literally hear about this topic every single day from her. Everything you do at some point is a compromise to keep someone happy. She even whined about how much I was spending on just basic midlevel stuff as if it matters on little bit. Something about audio and video is so polarizing. I've got 10 more boxes of components and gear on the way this week and can only imagine her reaction.
post #6 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Try looking for a house with your wife when you need to find a place that will not only store your 2,000 records and 2,000 CDs, but will also keep them a safe distance away from little hands.

Yeah, that can be a bit of a point of contention after you have been searching for two years and haven't found anything that fits the bill.

Luckily for me I found a place that had been previously owned by a guy who composed movie scores for a living, so I got a detached 500 square foot sound proof studio where I can geek out undisturbed.

Now if I can just find time to set everything up. . . rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 172
my buddy....great wife, but she doesn't understand the audio think and thinks it is way to expensive. here is a women with 100 plus pairs of shes, many cost more than 100 dollars, questioning a 500 dollar speaker purchase, saying the TV already has speakers!

Sometimes the balance is good, however...since the passing of my wife, i have found myself making impulse buys on speakers and now I got a closet full of speakers and ipod docks, etc...btw, the only Bose I own sits at the very bottom of that closet, right next to a set of Pyle speakers!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

, saying the TV already has speakers!

I have heard that one more than once. We watched one movie with the new 55" family room tv (the newest Bond film) with only speakers before I started buying HT stuff and she was pleased as punch with the sound. She would tell me to turn it down because it was just too loud. I actually feel the 55" is too small for the room and I mentioned it once and I think she had a small stroke.
post #9 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM

Liked: 25
Its only insane if you do not enjoy it.

You've gotten some good advice here, but keep in mind it is from the angle of enthusiasts who are addicted themselves smile.gif

Unless you are independantly wealthy (limitless cash and no need to work for a living) any resources (time, money etc.) you dedicate towards this hobby will come at the expense of something else. Here are some tips to make the most of your resources and hopefully make your hobby more paletable for the people in your life (assuming they don't have the same interest).

1) Don't be afraid to buy used, especially early on in your hobby as you figure out what you do like.
2) Be aware of "low lying fruit", a $500 speaker set properly positioned will sound better than a multiple times more expensive speaker set positioned incorrectly. Sometimes simple modifications can work wonders.
3) Beware of "snake oil", cables, power conditioners, isolation pads etc. that cost multiples of what perfectly capable components cost.
4) Reseach your purchases to narrow down your choices and then AUDITION every significant purchase. Especially speakers which can be subjective, some folks love horns, I can't stand them, figure out what you like by listening.
5) The laws of physics cannot be broken. Quality (as defined by most on this site) low & mid bass is not possible with a HTIAB.
6) Speaker technology does not advance as quickly as electronics so buy smart and dedicate an appropriate amount of your budget to speakers, you should keep them for a long time.
7) Find a piece of music you love that is dynamic, well recorded, and indicative of the genre you listen to most. Consistently use this piece of music to benchmark the systems you hear. Take it with you shopping, bring it with you when visiting another audio enthusiast.
8) Protect your hearing. If you love this hobby beware that tinitus is real and at present an irreversible condition.
9) The room you are in is the most important component of your system. Learn as much about acoustics as you can so that when you are in the position to build a room from scratch you can have great sound.
10) No matter how much you spend, there will be something available that is better. Figure out what would make you happy and if its within your means then go for it, if not, be wary of making short term comprises. Sometimes its better to wait.

Cheers
post #10 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallan View Post

i had a deftec system for years thought it sounded pretty good wife said whats wrong with just tv speakers

My wife didn't ask what's wrong with my def tech system I had, she just didn't notice when they went away and we were just using the tv speakers. Could not tell the difference. Just bought MartinLogan electrostats and she thought I was crazy for wanting speakers so large.

My view, I'm not an alcoholic, I don't do drugs, I don't chase other women, let me have my speakers.
post #11 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkust View Post

It doesn't get any better when you get a few more years under your belt. I've got a 6000 square foot house, am an executive in a multinational company, would technically have a nearly endless hometheater budget and only now have been putting in place my first midlevel system and whole house audio at the chagrin of my wife. I literally hear about this topic every single day from her. Everything you do at some point is a compromise to keep someone happy. She even whined about how much I was spending on just basic midlevel stuff as if it matters on little bit. Something about audio and video is so polarizing. I've got 10 more boxes of components and gear on the way this week and can only imagine her reaction.

+1 on your point above about AV being "polarizing"... though it sounds to me like you've no doubt provided your wife/family with luxuries that could be seen as being equally polarizing from a different perspective... unless the 6000 square foot home was solely your idea I bring that up from time to time wink.gif

Anyhow, if she's driving an old car, shops exclusively at Walmart for clothes, never travels etc. then I could understand her point if you are bringing home thousands worth of AV equipment, somehow I don't think that is the case.

You obviously work very hard, enjoy your hobby!
post #12 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

+1 on your point above about AV being "polarizing"... though it sounds to me like you've no doubt provided your wife/family with luxuries that could be seen as being equally polarizing from a different perspective... unless the 6000 square foot home was solely your idea I bring that up from time to time wink.gif

I think part of what makes AV so polarizing for so many people is that there isn't really anything tangible about what we are trying to find. Yes the products that we buy are tangible and we may long to own brand x or model y, but what we are really after is after sonic perfection. It's an emotional response that's hard to put into words and I doubt can be understood by someone who doesn't hold the same passions
post #13 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

I think part of what makes AV so polarizing for so many people is that there isn't really anything tangible about what we are trying to find. Yes the products that we buy are tangible and we may long to own brand x or model y, but what we are really after is after sonic perfection. It's an emotional response that's hard to put into words and I doubt can be understood by someone who doesn't hold the same passions

I've had success rationalizing that "emotional response" to the unconverted wink.gif by focusing more on the media... ie; explaining that my hobby is about faithfully reproducing what the artist, vocalist, musician, director etc. intended in my own home. And for me "good enough" means reproduction that is as close to reality as my budget will allow.
post #14 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
gta beancounter could not agree with you more you we have a passion for this hobby try to buy the best with the financies we have.
post #15 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Anyhow, if she's driving an old car, shops exclusively at Walmart for clothes, never travels etc. then I could understand her point if you are bringing home thousands worth of AV equipment, somehow I don't think that is the case.

You obviously wo

rk very hard, enjoy your hobby!

Well yes and no. The thing is that she is the President of her own company that she started from nothing several years ago and so earns a few dollars as well. She has a nice luxury suv but she wrote a check for it and actually wrote a check for mine too, wouldn't step into walmart without a gun to her head either. She just simply thinks it's just noise. I'll be sitting there listening to music afterwork and she will insist I turn on tv so she can watch Bravo even though there are multiple tv's in the house for her to watch. It just comes down to happy wife = happy life. There are just a few things that really get to her and technology related anything is just her ire. My only tiny solace in all this is that when she met me in the 90's when I was still a teen I was into high end car audio and so she at least recalls that I tryuly enjoy music and so has let it slide enough for me to even have the avr.
post #16 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
That is why we men need "Man caves!" And, even though I am single, I still have a man cave in my basement (and of course, I have a full 5.1 upstairs). Why do I have a man cave when I make all the decor decisions? I might NOT want to be single forever...and my upstairs 5.1 fits more into the living room decor...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #17 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Well yes and no. The thing is that she is the President of her own company that she started from nothing several years ago and so earns a few dollars as well. She has a nice luxury suv but she wrote a check for it and actually wrote a check for mine too, wouldn't step into walmart without a gun to her head either. She just simply thinks it's just noise. I'll be sitting there listening to music afterwork and she will insist I turn on tv so she can watch Bravo even though there are multiple tv's in the house for her to watch. It just comes down to happy wife = happy life. There are just a few things that really get to her and technology related anything is just her ire. My only tiny solace in all this is that when she met me in the 90's when I was still a teen I was into high end car audio and so she at least recalls that I tryuly enjoy music and so has let it slide enough for me to even have the avr.

I'm in a similar boat to you. My wife is in academia and tenured while I'm an executive, we both work hard both inside and outside the home and both have passions/hobbies, she loves her shoes and designer handbags and I'm into AV. I don't completely "get" her hobby and she doesn't "get" mine but we both accept that these things provide the other pleasure. I absolutely believe in "happy wife = happy life" but there has to be some balance. Maybe she just doesn't realize how important it is for you or maybe she just wants to spend more time with you so she joins you rather than watching her show on another TV? (Sorry for the Dr. Phil moment there!) You should just talk about it... Elihawk is spot on that you probably need a man cave of some sort too. I have a dedicated media room / theatre that is in progress and can't wait!
post #18 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I'm in a similar boat to you. My wife is in academia and tenured while I'm an executive, we both work hard both inside and outside the home and both have passions/hobbies, she loves her shoes and designer handbags and I'm into AV. I don't completely "get" her hobby and she doesn't "get" mine but we both accept that these things provide the other pleasure. I absolutely believe in "happy wife = happy life" but there has to be some balance. Maybe she just doesn't realize how important it is for you or maybe she just wants to spend more time with you so she joins you rather than watching her show on another TV? (Sorry for the Dr. Phil moment there!) You should just talk about it... Elihawk is spot on that you probably need a man cave of some sort too. I have a dedicated media room / theatre that is in progress and can't wait!

Wow did you hit it on the head. You are spot on...she wants to spend the time with me in the same room...just not listening to music. Here's the thing though...she's not into designer handbags and shoes. Sure she likes them but wouldn't spend the money on them. We are a bit odd having both been brought up with nothing. I was poor as a kid and she was in complete poverty. Every single dollar we have, we made the hard way and so we tend to save at least 70% of our income and so she really doesn't spend money on anything hobbyish. She literally started her company with a phone and zero dollars yet this year will net enough to buy a private jet...literally. She works hard and saves almost everything she earns and we live on a small bit of my income. The amount of money we save and pay in taxes is astronomical. As I just turned 40, (she is younger), I'm starting to get to the point where having buckets of money seems like a waste. I want to live a little and a couple grand on some HT stuff just doesn't seem like it should matter. I have to agree on the mancave. I explained to her the other day that she seems to have control of every single room in the house and so I'd like the family room to be 'mine' which didn't go over well yet I thought was a fair compromise. When you were brought up with nothing we are finding it almost impossible to not live way below our means...it is in our dna at this point. She still buys some of our cloths and the kids' cloths at the good will and grocery shops at the discount place. Sufice it to say I don't think we've ever had a fight about money in nearly 20 years of marriage...we married young.
post #19 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Wow did you hit it on the head. You are spot on...she wants to spend the time with me in the same room...just not listening to music. Here's the thing though...she's not into designer handbags and shoes. Sure she likes them but wouldn't spend the money on them. We are a bit odd having both been brought up with nothing. I was poor as a kid and she was in complete poverty. Every single dollar we have, we made the hard way and so we tend to save at least 70% of our income and so she really doesn't spend money on anything hobbyish. She literally started her company with a phone and zero dollars yet this year will net enough to buy a private jet...literally. She works hard and saves almost everything she earns and we live on a small bit of my income. The amount of money we save and pay in taxes is astronomical. As I just turned 40, (she is younger), I'm starting to get to the point where having buckets of money seems like a waste. I want to live a little and a couple grand on some HT stuff just doesn't seem like it should matter. I have to agree on the mancave. I explained to her the other day that she seems to have control of every single room in the house and so I'd like the family room to be 'mine' which didn't go over well yet I thought was a fair compromise. When you were brought up with nothing we are finding it almost impossible to not live way below our means...it is in our dna at this point. She still buys some of our cloths and the kids' cloths at the good will and grocery shops at the discount place. Sufice it to say I don't think we've ever had a fight about money in nearly 20 years of marriage...we married young.

I can relate to a lot of what you've said here, while my wife and I won't be buying a private jet any time soon wink.gif we both have (through lots of hard work, a bit of luck, and a good upbringing) well surpassed our relatively humble beginnings so a lot of what our family enjoys today was not possible in our childhoods. Our humble beginnings mean we are very thrifty with "experiences" ie; we've never flown our family first class, tend to avoid high priced restaurants, hotels etc. when we travel, we don't want our kids growing up taking too much for granted. BUT, we've allowed ourselves some indulgences within reason... with a 6000 sq foot home and luxury vehicles you've allowed yourselves to have some too, I don't know, a midfi system wouldn't be too much to ask smile.gif. If I'm you, the next time she offers to buy you a vehicle suggest that she go with something $10K less expensive and get yourself a GREAT system smile.gif
post #20 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I can relate to a lot of what you've said here, while my wife and I won't be buying a private jet any time soon wink.gif we both have (through lots of hard work, a bit of luck, and a good upbringing) well surpassed our relatively humble beginnings so a lot of what our family enjoys today was not possible in our childhoods. Our humble beginnings mean we are very thrifty with "experiences" ie; we've never flown our family first class, tend to avoid high priced restaurants, hotels etc. when we travel, we don't want our kids growing up taking too much for granted. BUT, we've allowed ourselves some indulgences within reason... with a 6000 sq foot home and luxury vehicles you've allowed yourselves to have some too, I don't know, a midfi system wouldn't be too much to ask smile.gif. If I'm you, the next time she offers to buy you a vehicle suggest that she go with something $10K less expensive and get yourself a GREAT system smile.gif

Well we could buy one but we couldn't actually fly or use it. I'm talking a used one not a new one. The ongoing fuel/pilot and maintainance is astronomical. I've had clients buy them only to offload in a couple years because of the maintainance. The funny thing is that because of my job I travel and do things that are just over the top. People wouldn't even believe it so I don't mention them to neighbors/friends. I say that because we also don't go to expensive restaurants, etc since I've got it covered at work. That doesn't always work well for my wife though. I prefer low end places after so many years of the opposite. Last weekend we all went to Wendy's for dinner, again to the chagrin of my wife, given how little we eat out. Funny thing was she actually enjoyed it.
post #21 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
OK I am glad you have discovered 'HIFI'.
But this part of your post concerns me, "and it gets real awkward when my mom walks into my room when im listening to a record, all of the lights out, receiver turned to -10db, and im staring blankly into the wall because im so focused on listening. they think im actually insane."
If the SPL at -10dB on your system is anywhere close to what it is on mine you are not showing your mother any respect at all by playing your system that loudly.
Plug in those $300 headphones when you need to listen loud, but use caution.
The earlier post about tinnitus is right on the money too...my world is never silent.

Regards,
Charlie

post #22 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

That is why we men need "Man caves!" And, even though I am single, I still have a man cave in my basement (and of course, I have a full 5.1 upstairs). Why do I have a man cave when I make all the decor decisions? I might NOT want to be single forever...and my upstairs 5.1 fits more into the living room decor...

yes, but that makes me bring up the fact that i never want to have kids, and i dont want to be married. that way nothing can get in the way of my true passion. and that does not bother me, at all. im still going to have a social life though!

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
post #23 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

OK I am glad you have discovered 'HIFI'.
But this part of your post concerns me, "and it gets real awkward when my mom walks into my room when im listening to a record, all of the lights out, receiver turned to -10db, and im staring blankly into the wall because im so focused on listening. they think im actually insane."
If the SPL at -10dB on your system is anywhere close to what it is on mine you are not showing your mother any respect at all by playing your system that loudly.
Plug in those $300 headphones when you need to listen loud, but use caution.
The earlier post about tinnitus is right on the money too...my world is never silent.

on my system, its about 105bds.

i only do that when my parents are not home. but i dont hear them walk into the house so that what they see when they come in...

yamaha rxv375
post #24 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Because of audio, no. I have my wife's full support. Now that passion for classic Italian cars is another matter altogether . biggrin.gif

post #25 of 46 Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

This is a great post. I totally agree bro and couldn't have said it better. CHEERS!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #26 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Its only insane if you do not enjoy it.

You've gotten some good advice here, but keep in mind it is from the angle of enthusiasts who are addicted themselves smile.gif

Unless you are independantly wealthy (limitless cash and no need to work for a living) any resources (time, money etc.) you dedicate towards this hobby will come at the expense of something else. Here are some tips to make the most of your resources and hopefully make your hobby more paletable for the people in your life (assuming they don't have the same interest).

1) Don't be afraid to buy used, especially early on in your hobby as you figure out what you do like.
2) Be aware of "low lying fruit", a $500 speaker set properly positioned will sound better than a multiple times more expensive speaker set positioned incorrectly. Sometimes simple modifications can work wonders.
3) Beware of "snake oil", cables, power conditioners, isolation pads etc. that cost multiples of what perfectly capable components cost.
4) Reseach your purchases to narrow down your choices and then AUDITION every significant purchase. Especially speakers which can be subjective, some folks love horns, I can't stand them, figure out what you like by listening.
5) The laws of physics cannot be broken. Quality (as defined by most on this site) low & mid bass is not possible with a HTIAB.
6) Speaker technology does not advance as quickly as electronics so buy smart and dedicate an appropriate amount of your budget to speakers, you should keep them for a long time.
7) Find a piece of music you love that is dynamic, well recorded, and indicative of the genre you listen to most. Consistently use this piece of music to benchmark the systems you hear. Take it with you shopping, bring it with you when visiting another audio enthusiast.
8) Protect your hearing. If you love this hobby beware that tinitus is real and at present an irreversible condition.
9) The room you are in is the most important component of your system. Learn as much about acoustics as you can so that when you are in the position to build a room from scratch you can have great sound.
10) No matter how much you spend, there will be something available that is better. Figure out what would make you happy and if its within your means then go for it, if not, be wary of making short term comprises. Sometimes its better to wait.

Cheers
Several solid points here. Several years ago I grew tired of technology quickly making an AVR 'out of date', the technology was changing so fast. I stopped reading the marketing to sell more product, then purchased a nice 'out of date' floor sample processor for 75% of original $, I also picked up a customer return 5-channel amp & a used 2-channel amp off E-Bay. Now the processor does not have HDMI but it has (2) 7.1 analog inputs so I let my BR decode before passing the audio on to the processor and the video via HDMI directly to the monitor. I saved a bunch of $ and the sound is awesome (at least I am happy). This path may not work for every one, it's just one way to save some $.

Steve
post #27 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotInvolved View Post

yes, but that makes me bring up the fact that i never want to have kids, and i dont want to be married. that way nothing can get in the way of my true passion. and that does not bother me, at all. im still going to have a social life though!

Send this post to your best friend so he can read it aloud at your wedding one day wink.gif
mpalmieri1203 likes this.
post #28 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I don't know why anyone would think I am insane because of my audio system.

I spent $60K for my Corvette, and I only have half that much in my audio system.

I spend more time with my audio system than I do driving the Corvette, so that seems reasonable.

Besides, it's my money, so let them whine...lol.

My wife loves the audio system, and she is just happy that I don't chase women or go drag racing any more.

biggrin.gif
post #29 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post

Several solid points here. Several years ago I grew tired of technology quickly making an AVR 'out of date', the technology was changing so fast. I stopped reading the marketing to sell more product, then purchased a nice 'out of date' floor sample processor for 75% of original $, I also picked up a customer return 5-channel amp & a used 2-channel amp off E-Bay. Now the processor does not have HDMI but it has (2) 7.1 analog inputs so I let my BR decode before passing the audio on to the processor and the video via HDMI directly to the monitor. I saved a bunch of $ and the sound is awesome (at least I am happy). This path may not work for every one, it's just one way to save some $.

+1, especially now that there are internet direct companies selling seperates at reasonable prices... I had mentioned that speaker technology moves slowly but the same can be said of Amps. In theory high quality speakers and amps could give you 20+ years of service whereas a new PrePro may be necessary every 5 years or so.

On a related note, I recently picked up an HDMI switcher from monoprice for $40 that makes my somewhat obsolete 8 year old AVR a very competent solution for our family room set up.
post #30 of 46 Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I don't know why anyone would think I am insane because of my audio system.

I spent $60K for my Corvette, and I only have half that much in my audio system.

I spend more time with my audio system than I do driving the Corvette; that seems reasonable.

Besides, it's my money, so let them whine...lol.

biggrin.gif

Hm, maybe my friends think I'm insane because I'm the other way: way more money in my audio than in my car lol
Reply Speakers

Tags
Beats Rhymes Life The Travels Of A Tribe Called Quest Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Beats by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page