Behringer 2030P still the best $100 speaker? - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 66 Old 01-16-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 768
The passive Truth monitors pretty much filled the niche you are after, as far as studio monitors go. There are some bookshelf speakers with a reasonably flat response though. You might give the Philharmonics Affordable Accuracy speakers a look. Also the Ascend Audio CBM-170s seem to measure very neutrally. Since the Behringers were so widely used, it is not uncommon to see them on the used market, so look at ebay and craigslist for some as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Skylinestar

Quote: Originally Posted by arnyk

The B2031'a seem to sound good when placed on their side, so they are their own center channel speaker.

Last night I was listening to a system with 9 2031As, all laying on their side. Sounded great. There were 2 massive subs, as well.

The claim is that that their unusually good dispersion (documented above) makes them far better speakers than most for mounting on their side.

Is that a home theater setup?

Yes,
Quote: How far are the speakers from your listening position?

The front center is about 10 feet, and the front L&R are about 15 feet if memory serves. There are also 5 or 6 other speakers in surround duty over a similar range of distances. The system is used for both video and music.
Quote: What is the playback volume (#dB)?

With large system like this, whatever the listener's want! The two subwoofers each contain 2 ca. 15" JL audio drivers back-to-back powered by an amp farm on its own 230 volt 30 amp circuit, in the basement totaling out at 5 KW or so.
I thought they were 18w3's? How is "D" doing these days? I installed the acoustical paneling in his system. But I haven't heard much from him in years.

"There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued."
-- Thomas H. Huxley
post #63 of 66 Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Skylinestar 

My listening distance (to speaker) is about 10 feet. Can the B2031P handle up to reference level movie playback volume? Will the Crown XLS2000 amp be a good match?

The Crown will power them fine, although it will be way overkill for the Behringer's power handling. For Reference at 10 ft, that might be tough for the Behringers. I think they could do better than most for that at their price point. But clean 105 dB peaks? I dunno. The SPL Calculator says they can, but there are a couple things it does not factor. Well, if you try and find they do not meet your dynamic range requirements, at least it won't be much of a loss since they are so cheap.
Shadyj,

Do you have the capacity to do any compression sweeps and see where these speakers start losing dynamics?

I have Mackie C200 a very decent PA speaker for the pricepoint (street price $200 each), but after reading the Earl Geddes studies on the B2030A I picked up pair to compare to my current speakers. Have you compared the soft dome and ribbon variant of these truth monitors yet?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #64 of 66 Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't believe I have the capacity to do compression sweeps on these right now. Presently I don't have an amplifier which comes near their specified maximum power handling. I am not sure I want to risk burning out the coils for a speaker which is no longer available anyway. I haven't heard the ribbon variant, sorry. Btw, I don't know what your present speakers are, but these are not like HE speakers with compression drivers. If you are expecting extreme dynamics, you will be disappointed. However what they do have, and what Geddes like about them, is a excellent polar response measurement. They are a rip off design of an older Mackie monitor, by the way. I would imagine the newer mackie monitors, specifically the HR8 mk2, would be similar but much improved (and of course, more expensive).
post #65 of 66 Old Today, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
@shadyJ

yeah -- I did some compression sweeps today with the B2031A. This is only the left speaker playing from behind my AT screen in my baffle wall with no EQ. Mic distance is about 12' and is recorded in my MLP. I didn't get to signal clipping (no clip lights on the B2031A, but I did get to port compression/port huffing before I quit to protect the speaker from undue stress. Without an 80hz crossover the port compression and port noise artifacts happens at fairly low SPL when running full range. With an 80hz crossover - the port noise was starting to be noticeable on the second to last sweep, and I stopped the sweeps at the last one because the port noise was quite offensive. Because of the 12 foot distance count on the 1 meter reading being probably about 10dB or so louder before the same results. There are some low frequency correction switches on the back that you can use to reduce bass output by 2, 4, or 6dB -- but I left them all in default 0 position for these tests.

These won't be replacing my Mackie C200 for dynamic value in my cinema, but I do like the way these speakers sound. I may use them for the computer for a bit. I enjoy getting to play with new stuff --- my conclusion - for someone in the market for a set of great sounding speakers at a budget price, who doesn't really crank their system to reference levels -- these are a excellent choice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B2031A - compression sweeps - port chuffing heard at 0 and uncomfortable at +5db - mic at MLP - .jpg
Views:	26
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	565249  
shadyJ likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; Today at 11:52 AM.
post #66 of 66 Old Today, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks nice. These are meant for near-field use, so you can't really fault them for not hitting extreme SPLs cleanly at 12'. For the price, terrific. I managed to snag my pair at a particularly good price - $60 each new! I think they were an absolute bargain at $120 each, so I basically stole mine.
Archaea likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Behringer Truth B2030p Passive Monitor , Dayton B652 6 1 2 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Gear in this thread - B652 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page