Aperion Verus Grand vs. PSB Imagine T2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-29-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking to set up a two channel listening space in my living room and I went speaker shopping yesterday for a first listen on a few things. I listened to psb's Imagine line as well as Paradigm's comparable in price line. I was left cold by the Paradigms - they had a nice wide soundstage but I felt like the highs were over accentuated and too far forward for my taste. I preferred the mellower highs and soundstage on the psbs and really loved the T2s overall.

I've also been quite intrigued by what I've read regarding Aperion's Verus Grand speaker. I'm looking to get some impressions on the sound quality of these speakers particularly from people who have heard them both and can compare them. I'll be powering the system with a NAD C372 for the time being but the rest of the system (Cd player and turntable) hasn't been decided on yet. Thanks in advance for any help you can give and if anyone has any questions ask away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 22
Not sure exactly what you're needing in the way of my impressions on the Verus Grand but I thoroughly enjoy mine. I have had the towers and bookshelves for about a year and a half now. I use the towers for two channel listening and also have the VG center for use in a 5.1 surround setup. I found myself perusing the aisles of a local used CD store for different types of music shortly after receiving these speakers. I ended up buying classical, standards, and female vocalists trying to hear and feel the full range of these speakers. Alison Kraus, Norah Jones, Adele, and Diana Krall all sound amazing on these. Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Nat King Cole remind me of my youth and my Grandparents stereo. Hearing every little note of classical recordings made me smile. (All this from a died in the wool metalhead). Yes I am a fan of these speakers maybe because it's what I bought or they are really that good, you decide. Can't give you a comparison to the PSBs as I haven't heard them. Just telling you how much I enjoy my GVs. I will tell you what I tell everyone interested in the Aperions, call the gurus (Aperions sales staff). They are very helpful and will answer your questions. Also the 30 day home trial makes it easy to compare. No hassles on returns. Get them home, set them up, and if you don't like them put them back in box and send them back. They pay for shipping both ways. You have nothing to lose except some time unboxing and reboxing. Listening, especially in your own home is the best way to audition speakers. Hope this helped.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There are some people in the PSB thread that wanted to upgrade to the Aperion speakers from the Image line, and returned them as they didnt think they were worth the price premium over the PSB's (these were for bookshelves mind you).

~Shaun
Yamaha RX-V765 / PSB B5's Fronts / PSB C4 Center / Micca R-65 In-Ceiling Rears / BIC F12 Sub
post #4 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I'm having the opposite problem - the T2 retails for $3500 and the Aperions are $2K. I really liked the PSBs and am willing to pay for them but that's a huge price difference. I can always buy the Aperions and try them out but if I buy the PSBs I cant imagine that a shop would be willing to take them back if I decided I liked the Aperions better.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by border411 View Post

There are some people in the PSB thread that wanted to upgrade to the Aperion speakers from the Image line, and returned them as they didnt think they were worth the price premium over the PSB's (these were for bookshelves mind you).

yup that was me for one. I own the psb image B6 and side by side compared the aperion verus grand bookshelfs. I found the sound incredibly similar. so much I could not warrant the extra money for how the verus grands looked (better looking speaker for sure)

so I would say you will be extremely pleased by either choice. its all up to your budget and aesthetic preference with these two choices

btw give dmc-electronics.com a call..they have AWESOME prices on PSB speaks

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #6 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I would not neglect the Image T6 speakers.

I had them for two years, and to my ears they are actually better oveall than some of the more expensive PSB speakers.

You also might want to look at the Gallo Acoustics Classico C4, which go for $2400.

The Gallos come with a 60-day free trial period. If you return them shipping is paid both ways and you get a 100% refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick.s View Post

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I'm having the opposite problem - the T2 retails for $3500 and the Aperions are $2K. I really liked the PSBs and am willing to pay for them but that's a huge price difference. I can always buy the Aperions and try them out but if I buy the PSBs I cant imagine that a shop would be willing to take them back if I decided I liked the Aperions better.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Its funny you mention the Gallos - I just found them yesterday. I remember hearing the little sphere speakers of theirs maybe 10 years ago and was amazed at their sound. I did a search for the Classico 4 but didn't come up with many reviews on them.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I would not neglect the Image T6 speakers.

I had them for two years, and to my ears they are actually better oveall than some of the more expensive PSB speakers.

You also might want to look at the Gallo Acoustics Classico C4, which go for $2400.

The Gallos come with a 60-day free trial period. If you return them shipping is paid both ways and you get a 100% refund.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 257
There was a good review of the Classico C3 in The Absolute Sound last August, and they loved them. It is a good article to read because it talks a lot about their unique design and hemispherical tweeter.

The C4 is essentially the same speaker design but with more bass drivers for more power.

I used a pair of C3 for a year, and liked them a lot, but ultimately I had to have the Vandersteen Treos and am selling the C3s for $1000, which is a nice deal for someone. They are listed here in the classifieds.

The C3s are big enough for all rooms except the very largest.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Ding Ding DIng...try them...return them..love them..keep them...
post #11 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by border411 View Post

He was refering to the Imagine line( T2), not the Image
post #12 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Email Crutchfield.com and Audioadvisor.com to see how much returning the Imagine T2 would be.
Then you can buy both return the loser keep the winner and then you know you got the right one and you tested them in the most important place in your home.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
This place is a great PSB dealer. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.
https://dmc-electronics.com

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #14 of 24 Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Someone else mentioned them to me as well. I emailed them earlier today and got some prices. The discount is pretty decent. Once I really decide I may try to negotiate further if I go with psb.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-01-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

I had a chance to listen to some GoldenEar Triton 2s today and really liked them. I read some great reviews on them but haven't seen a whole lot of comments from regular everyday users. Does anyone have some experience with them?
post #16 of 24 Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I listened to the Triton 2s a while ago and while most everything I listened to was impressive I hit some material with upper midrange / lower treble that just did not sound right to me. I asked the salesman to come listen and he said they were aware. They even called Sandy about it, said to work with placement?! May have just been something wrong with that pair but I no longer have interest.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-02-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post

Email Crutchfield.com and Audioadvisor.com to see how much returning the Imagine T2 would be.
Then you can buy both return the loser keep the winner and then you know you got the right one and you tested them in the most important place in your home.

Crutchfield returns are basically free....something like $6.00 for the return labels. I went through about 6 sets of speakers with them over a 4 month period in an effort to find the perfect set. Shipping is free (both ways).

I had the Aperion VGT and VGC in my house for a month but returned them. They sounded good and they are absolutely gorgeous, but they lost the battle when being compared side by side with Paradigm Studio 100's. The 100's had a much clearer and detailed sound and they didn't break up at high volumes like the Aperions (to be expected for the price difference imo). The Aperions could almost run with the 100's in regards to bass output (to my ears in my room). If I wouldn't have heard the 100's at a B&M store, I would still have the Aperions since they are very good speakers, especially for the cost.

With all of that being said I should mention that over time, the 100's ended up hurting my very sensitive ears and they went back too. mad.gif The Aperions didn't hurt my ears and hindsight tells me that I should have kept them.

I know this isn't the exact comparison you wanted to get feedback on, but it might help since you have heard some Paradigms (not sure which model though). Please keep in mind that I am new to this whole audio thing, but those are my thoughts.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee-man View Post

Crutchfield returns are basically free....something like $6.00 for the return labels. I went through about 6 sets of speakers with them over a 4 month period in an effort to find the perfect set. Shipping is free (both ways).

Return shipping is $10 now... it was $7... I found out recently when returning a pretty light/small package, which I probably could've shipped back on my own less than $10 given I'm just one state over from Crutchfield.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee-man View Post

I had the Aperion VGT and VGC in my house for a month but returned them. They sounded good and they are absolutely gorgeous, but they lost the battle when being compared side by side with Paradigm Studio 100's. The 100's had a much clearer and detailed sound and they didn't break up at high volumes like the Aperions (to be expected for the price difference imo). The Aperions could almost run with the 100's in regards to bass output (to my ears in my room). If I wouldn't have heard the 100's at a B&M store, I would still have the Aperions since they are very good speakers, especially for the cost.

With all of that being said I should mention that over time, the 100's ended up hurting my very sensitive ears and they went back too. mad.gif The Aperions didn't hurt my ears and hindsight tells me that I should have kept them.

I know this isn't the exact comparison you wanted to get feedback on, but it might help since you have heard some Paradigms (not sure which model though). Please keep in mind that I am new to this whole audio thing, but those are my thoughts.

Thanks for that review. This actually helps quite a bit because I didn't like the Paradigm for the same reason as you - I thought there was too much emphasis on the upper frequencies and there was a harshness to vocal sibilance that really grated on me. I was drawn to the PSBs because they were much mellower and had a smoother overall upper frequency response to my ears. They weren't fatiguing and I could discern no harshness whatsoever. If the Aperions are smoother then that is good to know. In contrast, the Golden Ears are somewhere between the Paradigm and the PSB for me in the upper frequencies, but I actually really like that. They also go much deeper in the bass and they throw a soundstage as wide as the Paradigms (which is one area where I thought they beat out the PSBs). Right now, I'm heavily leaning towards the Golden Ear, but there are also some valid criticisms I'm seeing out there which is tempering my enthusiasm a bit.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
PSB and Paradigm are cousins... Allot of the same characteristics but I do think the PSB are more refined.

I would for sure look into Salk, Philharmonic, KEF and NHT are all good recommendations.

I own the Phil 2's and I have not regretted it at all.
post #21 of 24 Old 06-03-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I auditioned the Grand Verus Towers and center and concur zero fatigue. IMO they are better on music than home theater and perhaps not the last word on detail. However, I enjoyed any music I put on and often sat for hours just listening. They were somewhat forgiving on recording. Very good on the bass response for twin 6.5" woofers. If you love music and are not after that last little bit of detail, they are a very good speaker.

I also would suggest Kef, Revel, Salk, and Philharmonic but realize they will make mediocre recordings tougher to listen to even if you love them. I save those less than steller recordings for the IPod or the outdoor Yamaha speakers where I can still enjoy them.

Advice may steer your auditions but your choice is still yours, what you like.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update this thread with my outcome. I was going to order the Aperions this week and give them a try but I was browsing amazon and ebay looking at other options and stumbled across the Polk LSi 25 on clearance. I've always liked the sound of high end Polks (my father in law has a pair of SDAs) so I gambled and placed the order figuring I could send them back or sell them locally if I didn't like them. They came in yesterday and I was amazed at their sound right out of the box. They aren't even broken in yet and they easily rival (and in some cases surpass) both the PSB Imagine T2 and the Golden Ear Triton 2, which were my two frontrunners out of what I had actually had a chance to hear in person. Polk doesn't seem to get the recognition today that it used to but I can say that these speakers are amazing and at the current closeout prices they're probably one of the best deals in hifi right now.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 717
they are a great speaker...although they really shine with high levels of amplification! congrats!! pics are always encouraged hha

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #24 of 24 Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Pics soon. I'm using a NAD C 372 integrated amp to drive them so power shouldn't be an issue.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page