Need to upgrade my Home Theatre - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,

I need some help to upgrade my HT. Any help will be much appreciated.

I have a Sony DAV HDX2655 Home Theatre system set up in my 20 x 24 room.

I have hooked up the receiver with my latptop via TV/Video audio in cable. Also i have Epson 8500UB projector setup to project on my wall from my laptop via VGA Cable.

I do not know much about HT's so please excuse obvious.

I have a budget of around $1500.

Any suggestions for setting up a good HT with good receiver ?

Also if there is any other best way to connect HT & Projector with my laptop.






Thanks.
deids is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Are you looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 system? Bookshelfs or floorstanders? Depending on your needs, and priorities, you can figure roughly $400-$500 for an avr, $300 for a sub, the rest on speakers.
crn3371 is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the reply.

As I said i am not too much into HT's. I just need a good HT, I am looking for 7.1 system.
I would prefer Bookshelfs as I can stick them on the wall. But i am not sure which one's are better Bookshelfs or floorstanders.

Thanks.
deids is offline  
post #4 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,611
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I would say for any budget $1000-1500, try to keep your AV receiver costs at or under 300 dollars...
As mentioned above, 300 for a decent sub and the rest on speakers. Pioneer, Infinity Primus, Polk all have decent speakers...also consider the EMP eBtis bookshelfs. Glowing review given by Hometheater magazine recently and 250/pr!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #5 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks a lot Elihawk,

Which receiver & sub do you suggest i should go with ?
I cannot find eBtis bookshelfs on amazon, where can i see the reviews of these speakers ?

Also what do you think about klipsch.

Thanks again.
deids is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Personally, I can't stand Polk or Klipsch speakers. Something about their high frequency sound is unappealing and fatiguing. Check out Arx, Ascend Acoustics, Aperion Audio, HSU and other Internet Direct brands. HSU, SVS, Rhythmik, Outlaw Audio all have good ID subs too. Since you have a fairly large room, I'd go with two subs to smooth out the room response and increase the bass output to fill that space.

Ascend Acoustics has a decent sale going on right now (click on the sale link on their main page). CMT-340's would work great in that room considering your budget. Right now, you get the stands free, if you need them. I'd rather stand mount large monitors rather than build shelves for them and have them too high on the wall and too close due to their rear ports. You'll miss out on some bass frequency reproduction too.

You really want to get a Blu-ray player and hook things up using HDMI cable and don't just rely on your laptop.

Newegg.com has been running a sale on the Pioneer SC-1222-k receiver at a substantial discount. But if you increase your budget a bit ($1,500 for 7.1 and a receiver is pretty tight) and have a Costco in the area, see if you can pick up the Pioneer SC-1522-k for $600. For what it can do, it's a downright steal at that price. Both have pre-amp outputs for adding more powerful amplifiers to drive your speakers. In a larger room, this is a big plus.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #7 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,611
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Speaker:
http://emptek.com/e5bi.php
Review
http://home:theaterreview.com/emp-tek-e5bi-bookshelf-speaker-reviewed/

just one man's opinion, but I have the EMP towers and they sound and look fantastic, considering the price I paid for them! EMP uses quality drivers in their speakers!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #8 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'd also consider going 3.1 or 5.1 and expand as money allows. Use your HTIB speakers as surrounds. The most important part is your front soundstage.
crn3371 is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks a lot Dan for the suggestions.
I think I would like to go with Pioneer SC-1522-K, but isin't it 9.2 channels ? Does that mean i need 9 speakers or can i still live with 7.1 setup ?

What about the rear speakers ? should i try CMT-340's for rear as well ?
Also what about the sub's ? If I would like to go for only one sub at this point, then which one should I get ?

Thanks.
deids is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
I think I would like to go with Pioneer SC-1522-K, but isin't it 9.2 channels ? Does that mean i need 9 speakers or can i still live with 7.1 setup ?

You can go as little as 2.0 or as much as 9.2 with that receiver.

I currently use my 7.1 receiver as a 5.1 setup.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #11 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by deids View Post

Thanks a lot Dan for the suggestions.
I think I would like to go with Pioneer SC-1522-K, but isin't it 9.2 channels ? Does that mean i need 9 speakers or can i still live with 7.1 setup ?

What about the rear speakers ? should i try CMT-340's for rear as well ?
Also what about the sub's ? If I would like to go for only one sub at this point, then which one should I get ?

Thanks.

You can have up to 9.2 channels of decoding, but you can do 7.1 (or 7.2) and not use the extra extracted front wide or front height effects speakers for now (that's with Prologic IIz and DTS Neo:X).

I think you'd do fine with the HTM-200 SE's as surrounds and wall mount them. Make sure you use articulating mounts as you can more easily aim them. However, if you want to go all out, there is nothing stopping you from using the larger CMT-340's all around. People have done this before.

If you're only doing one subwoofer right now, I'd look at either the HSU VTF-15h or the even more capable Rythmik FV15HP with 600 min. watts of power (if you get a Rythmik sub with Ascend speakers, Ascend gives a small discount). Since you have a little bit of room to play with and don't have a screen currently, might I highly suggest building a false wall and using an acoustically transparent screen. Place three vertical CMT-340 SE's behind the screen (call Ascend for this special order) just like a pro theater to lock the audio action to the image. Check out Jamestown Home Theater Screen.com for good, budget frames and excellent Seymour Center Stage XD weaved fabric. You'd be surprised at how inexpensive AT screens can be.

Not sure of the size you want? Check out this screen sizing calculator. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

If this room is to be a dedicated theater room, I suggest pre-wiring for upcoming object oriented audio (two possible contenders: Dolby Atmos in theaters now and DTS MDA coming soon). If you're interested, I can give you more details. This will also help future proof and in the meantime utilize sound modes like DTS Neo:X and Dolby Prologic IIz processing.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #12 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,611
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Again and IMHO...spending 600 dollars on a av receiver with an overall budget of 1500 dollars will get you a system that is held back by speakers. Spend as little as possible getting the power and features you need (not to mention that in 5 yr, your receiver will be out if date) and spend as much of your budget as possible on the front stage and sub!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #13 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Again and IMHO...spending 600 dollars on a av receiver with an overall budget of 1500 dollars will get you a system that is held back by speakers. Spend as little as possible getting the power and features you need (not to mention that in 5 yr, your receiver will be out if date) and spend as much of your budget as possible on the front stage and sub!
I agree. You should be able to find a decent avr for $400 ($300 if you're lucky). Also, don't be afraid to start with just the fronts and add the surrounds latter.
crn3371 is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Again and IMHO...spending 600 dollars on a av receiver with an overall budget of 1500 dollars will get you a system that is held back by speakers. Spend as little as possible getting the power and features you need (not to mention that in 5 yr, your receiver will be out if date) and spend as much of your budget as possible on the front stage and sub!

Sounds like the OP might be a little more flexible with the budget than just the $1,500. And yes, you could do a 3.1 rig and save for the matching set of surrounds, so you have better speakers all around over time.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #15 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes. I agree.

I think i would go with the front first. But i am confused between CMT's and EMP, which one to chose. EMP seems more enticing for the price.

And what about the Sub, Rythmik FV15HP seems to be expensive.


Thanks all for your inputs.
deids is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
If you like the looks of the EMP Tek speakers, I'd give them a trial run at home. Couldn't hurt. I'd start with the E56Ci center (if you're not doing an acoustically transparent screen, that is) and their E55Ti towers. Just call to see when they'll get more stock. For strictly home theater use, I'd go with the black ash finish so as not to have stray reflections off the screen.

EMP Tek is supposed to be a sister company to RBH, which are well regarded speakers.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #17 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sdg4vfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 1,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
^^^ +1. The OP could even use the best speakers from his current HTIB (probably the LR mains) as surrounds until he can get better, matching surrounds later.
sdg4vfx is offline  
post #18 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok.

For now, looks like i will have to stick with 5.1

Here is what i am thinking.

For Front speakers, CMT-340 SE
For Surrounds, HTM 200 SE
Total for the above will be somewhere around $1000

For Center - ???



Receiver & Sub right now can i use my existing one which came with HTIB ? and buy them later once i have enough.


What do you guys think.


Thanks.
deids is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Yeah, you could do it that way... and end up with a decent receiver when you can more easily afford one. I doubt the current receiver has much power, so I wouldn't play your speakers loudly until you can run them with more juice. Keeps the clipping and distortion down. Real speaker killers.

Does it have a decoder capable of DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD lossless formats for Blu-ray discs?

Now... the question remains: does an acoustically transparent screen seem tempting to you? If you have some inkling that you might get one now or in the near future... call Ascend and have them give you a single vertically oriented CMT-340 SE main monitor as your center and don't use the horizontal version (say it's for an AT screen installation). You can always lay the vertical speaker horizontally, but you can't easily make the horizontal C version a regular vertical speaker. It has to do with the wiring of the internal crossover network.

FYI

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #20 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Dan.

I am not actually sure about decoder capability for my Sony DAV-HDX265 receiver. But i know it does play Dolby DTS.
Regarding acoustically transparent screen, i might do it in near future. But i did not understood the rest of your suggestion regaridng vertically oriented CMT-340.
Do you mean to say that for Center speakers, i should call Ascend and have them send me another CMT-340 SE instead of CMT-340c which I see is center speaker on their website?

Sorry I am a novice in this area.
deids is offline  
post #21 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by deids View Post

Thanks Dan.

I am not actually sure about decoder capability for my Sony DAV-HDX265 receiver. But i know it does play Dolby DTS.
Regarding acoustically transparent screen, i might do it in near future. But i did not understood the rest of your suggestion regaridng vertically oriented CMT-340.
Do you mean to say that for Center speakers, i should call Ascend and have them send me another CMT-340 SE instead of CMT-340c which I see is center speaker on their website?

Sorry I am a novice in this area.

Looks like the Sony receiver is pretty outdated. Only regular DTS and Dolby lossy audio. Luckily, Blu-ray discs do have backwards compatible audio tracks for those reasons... for the short time you'd be waiting to upgrade. There usually are optical digital audio outputs still available on Blu-ray players to plug into your older receiver.

Looks like you might have to cut the ends off the speaker connectors since the DAV-HDX265 unit seems to have funky plugs and not regular speaker wire jacks (unless they terminate to regular plus and minus wires at the speaker end). Hope this isn't a problem where you have to suck it up and get a new receiver too.

Correct. Call Ascend for your order... say you're looking at their summer sale and want a pair of CMT-340 SE's with the free matching B-stock stands that turn them, effectively, into floor-standing towers (saves you ~$120 and you don't have to build or hunt around for other stands), another vertical CMT-340 SE main as the center speaker for your acoustically transparent screen setup, and a pair of HTM-200 SE's for the surrounds.

Now, if you actually want to build your own sand fillable stands or want to use something else to raise them up to ear level, then you can get the left and right CMT-340 SE's without the stands for $498 a pair ($70 off). Also, since you are going with the regular CMT-340 SE as a center and not the CMT-340c as on their website, see if they'll apply 1/2 their summer sale discount of a pair to a single main as well (which is $35) even if you go with the stands for the front left and rights. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #22 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Looks like the Sony receiver is pretty outdated. Only regular DTS and Dolby lossy audio. Luckily, Blu-ray discs do have backwards compatible audio tracks for those reasons... for the short time you'd be waiting to upgrade. There usually are optical digital audio outputs still available on Blu-ray players to plug into your older receiver.

Looks like you might have to cut the ends off the speaker connectors since the DAV-HDX265 unit seems to have funky plugs and not regular speaker wire jacks (unless they terminate to regular plus and minus wires at the speaker end). Hope this isn't a problem where you have to suck it up and get a new receiver too.

Correct. Call Ascend for your order... say you're looking at their summer sale and want a pair of CMT-340 SE's with the free matching B-stock stands that turn them, effectively, into floor-standing towers (saves you ~$120 and you don't have to build or hunt around for other stands), another vertical CMT-340 SE main as the center speaker for your acoustically transparent screen setup, and a pair of HTM-200 SE's for the surrounds.

Now, if you actually want to build your own sand fillable stands or want to use something else to raise them up to ear level, then you can get the left and right CMT-340 SE's without the stands for $498 a pair ($70 off). Also, since you are going with the regular CMT-340 SE as a center and not the CMT-340c as on their website, see if they'll apply 1/2 their summer sale discount of a pair to a single main as well (which is $35) even if you go with the stands for the front left and rights. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Yes. Looks like i will have to buy receiver sooner than the speakers smile.gif.
I called Ascend, but looks like no one is answering, I have left them my contact info.
So in short, this is the summary of what I am planning to get:
2 CMT-340 SE's LR
1 CMT-340 SE's C
2 HTM-200 SE's for surrounds

What blu-ray player would you suggest for this setup Dan ? I will have to buy blu-ray player as well as you suggested.

I think i might have to buy a receiver as well sooner than later as Sony is pretty old.

Thanks a lot.
deids is offline  
post #23 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,611
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I have heard the Ascenc Acoust CMT340 and that is one very good speaker. Balanced, can get loud, but most impressive, IMHO, is that it sounds great at low volume!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #24 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by deids View Post

Yes. Looks like i will have to buy receiver sooner than the speakers smile.gif.
I called Ascend, but looks like no one is answering, I have left them my contact info.
So in short, this is the summary of what I am planning to get:
2 CMT-340 SE's LR
1 CMT-340 SE's C
2 HTM-200 SE's for surrounds

What blu-ray player would you suggest for this setup Dan ? I will have to buy a blu-ray player as well as you suggested.

I think i might have to buy a receiver as well sooner than later as Sony is pretty old.

Thanks a lot.

Actually, if you might go the acoustic screen route (again, not as expensive as you might think and there plenty of discussions on how to build a stage and/or false wall to accommodate one on this forum), you want to change that order to:

3 CMT-340 SE's Mains (free B-stock stands or $70 off one pair and hopefully $35 off the single)

2 HTM-200 SE's for surrounds


Try the Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player. Even will play back Super Audio CD's (high resolution audio discs with up to 5.1 channel audio), which is not available in many players.

High Speed HDMI cables ... go to Monoprice.com (cheap!!)

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #25 of 38 Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Actually, if you might go the acoustic screen route (again, not as expensive as you might think and there plenty of discussions on how to build a stage and/or false wall to accommodate one on this forum), you want to change that order to:

3 CMT-340 SE's Mains (free B-stock stands or $70 off one pair and hopefully $35 off the single)

2 HTM-200 SE's for surrounds


Try the Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player. Even will play back Super Audio CD's (high resolution audio discs with up to 5.1 channel audio), which is not available in many players.

High Speed HDMI cables ... go to Monoprice.com (cheap!!)

Ok, so lets say if i do not go with acoustic screen route at this time, can i still use the above setup ?
and if I go with the above setup, what receiver should i get, other than Pioneer SC-1522-k, as its a little expensive at this moment. Should i go with Pioneer SC-1222-k ?



Thanks.
deids is offline  
post #26 of 38 Old 06-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
NewEgg has the 1222 for $480.
crn3371 is offline  
post #27 of 38 Old 06-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Member
 
RastaManMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

NewEgg has the 1222 for $480.

I went for this so I could squeeze a bit out of my budget for speakers (would've had to pass on the RC-10's). Glad I did because it has more than what I needed. At $480 its a steal IMHO!
RastaManMax is offline  
post #28 of 38 Old 06-01-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
deids's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post

I went for this so I could squeeze a bit out of my budget for speakers (would've had to pass on the RC-10's). Glad I did because it has more than what I needed. At $480 its a steal IMHO!


What is the difference between 1522-k & 1222-k ?

Does 1222-k has built in amp like 1522-k

Also, is there any deal for Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player.


Thanks
deids is offline  
post #29 of 38 Old 06-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I think the 1522 and 1222 are basically the same except the 1222 is 7.2 instead of 9.2, and has 10 watts less power. Both have same D3 amps.
crn3371 is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old 06-01-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

I think the 1522 and 1222 are basically the same except the 1222 is 7.2 instead of 9.2, and has 10 watts less power. Both have same D3 amps.

What he said: a little less power with the built-in amps on the 1222-k and it does up to 7.2 channels instead of up to 9.2 with the 1522-k. Don't wory about the .2 designation, most subs have built in plate amplifiers and receivers don't have those included. However, both receivers have pre-amp outputs allowing for the addition of more powerful amplifiers to drive your speakers if you want the extra oomph and clarity afforded by such amps.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020 , Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off