Rear's for 5.1 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys

I'm in the process of building a new house and want to get a home theatre setup installed, I had a HT setup way back in the early dolby days but things have changed a lot since then so way out of touch and looking for a some suggestions re surrounds and positions.
I have a pair of Celestion 5 fronts (bookshelf 6.5 driver and tweeter from back in the day they were still made in England) with matching C2 center I'm going to use and replacing my old receiver with a new Sony DN840, I've got a 42" Panasonic plasma which I will also use for now but I need to upgrade my surrounds and get a sub.

The room is a 4.2x8m living/dining open plan room so I only have three walls to work with for speakers, I have a blank wall for TV and fronts then a wall to the right with windows and then most of the back wall is a glass sliding door, it has a boxed in 2.7m ceiling so wall mounted side speakers are going to be out and in-ceiling is a issues with the ceiling being boxed I would end up with them at different heights so I'm thinking that sticking to 5.1 and mounting the speakers on the rear walls above the windows is the best for the design of the room even if not the perfect position.

I have two options, one being in-ceiling in the lower part of the ceiling in either corner of the living room area of the room along the back wall or bookshelf speakers on the wall in the roughly the same place, both of these will work but not sold on in-ceiling though most shops have pushed me in this direction, though much tidier bookshelf speaker are more flexiable in positioning though I'm not ruling out either. The final and I think probably not going to work for my setup is bi-poles but since I don't have a wall to the left for at least 4m's I thinking they probably aren't the best option.

Sub I'm probably just going to go for an 8-10" Velodyne or the like but the rears are the ones I'm struggling with so any suggestions would be approached as I've read a hundred reviews and not much closer to deciding and since I'm building in the next couple of months I need to work out what cabling I need to do, I'm going to cable up on the back wall for a future projector but bookshelf or in-ceiling speaker will require different cabling so want to nail down the best surround options so I can get the cabling sorted from the get go.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Thanks
Dean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Internet Direct is your friend for subs (and speakers). Check out HSU Research, SVS, Rythmik, and other ID companies. Better bang vs. buck than Velodyne.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'd love to be able to access some of the pricing you guys get but I'm in New Zealand so will have to stick to equipment I can find locally. I haven't spent alot of time looking at sub options as its lower down the list at the moment as the cabling for the rears is a decision I need to sort way before I move in and get to setting up.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-01-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 627
No worries. Probably expensive to import from the States as well. You should definitely put JL Audio's Fathom subs on your short list if there are dealers who sell them (or can get them) in NZ.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-02-2013, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yeh freighting a sub could be painful to the pocket, will check out some options once I get my surrounds sorted and setup.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckiwi View Post

I'd love to be able to access some of the pricing you guys get but I'm in New Zealand so will have to stick to equipment I can find locally. I haven't spent alot of time looking at sub options as its lower down the list at the moment as the cabling for the rears is a decision I need to sort way before I move in and get to setting up.

SVS Sound is one of the sub dealers that Dan mentioned, and they have an Australian/New Zealand distributor: https://www.svsound.com/international-sales. Their subs are one of the best bangs for the buck here.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 8 Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'll put them on the list, the supplier is in Australia so closer but will have to see what freight is like as it can pretty expensive to get stuff from there even being so close. Any models they do I should be looking at?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 797
You have a pretty big room. SVS PB-1000 might be enough sub for the room. The PB12-NSD certainly would be.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page