thoughts on emotiva? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i was thinking about getting a pre amp and amp.

how are they? ive really never heard of them until i joined this fourm

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Their amps are fine from what I've read but their pre/pro is apparently abysmal. Lots of unhappy posts about them.

post #3 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

you mean the pre amps are horrible? whats a good stereo pre amp for around a grand?

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
post #4 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally why don't you buy a good receiver Demon or Onkyo and see how that sounds?

If you get a good receiver with preouts you could grab an amp later. What speakers are you driving? How large is your space?

post #5 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

legacy audio focus SEs. i dont have them yet, I'm planning on getting these next year or so... so im trying to figure things out right now so i know what to get when the time comes.

the space is undefined, but will be acoustically treated with bass traps and panels

yamaha rxv375
post #6 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I would get myself in to a dealer and start doing some listening.

Have you thought of also checking out the Ascend Sierra Towers with either the NRT or RAAL tweeter? They are incredible speakers and easy to drive. I'm running them on an Onkyo 818. Really incredible sound for the money.

That's a 4 Ohm speaker you're looking at with a pretty great sensitivity rating. If your only going stereo the 818 should be fine. But I've never spent $10,000 on just a pair of speakers so you might have a more discerning taste than me.

post #7 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

ive always been a picky person... if i can find speakers that sound better, then i will get those.(for less money) but many of the reviews said there is no better speaker for under 10 grand than the focus SEs. they are only 8 grand not 10 depending on what finish you get

yamaha rxv375
post #8 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. I can't imagine spending that much based on reviews. I'd really get out there and put some speakers through their paces.

You might find that cheaper speakers might actually sound better in your room. Environment is just as important as the speaker and amp. I'd listen to Paradigm, JTR, SVS Ultras, Sierra Ascend, KEF, B&W, PSB. Don't limit yourself because of a pricetag and a review.

post #9 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

actually, im prob going to get the HDs. they are like the same thing and 1.5k less. but a while after that, im planing on uograding to a full home theater, but still with my stereo pre amp and amp for 2ch listening only. i dont want to use a ht receiver for HIFI

yamaha rxv375
post #10 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Wow. I can't imagine spending that much based on reviews. I'd really get out there and put some speakers through their paces.

You might find that cheaper speakers might actually sound better in your room. Environment is just as important as the speaker and amp. I'd listen to Paradigm, JTR, SVS Ultras, Sierra Ascend, KEF, B&W, PSB. Don't limit yourself because of a pricetag and a review.

i have paradigms, and they are good. im going to listen to the focus HDs trust me. if i dont like them, ill get B&W because there is a best buy near me with the HT room. they sell alot of B&W stuff. i just want the best stereo amp and pre amp possible to drive my speakers to their full ability. this is where it gets weird. you have to spend more money to avoid wasting it(getting good speakers then a bad amp. you would just waste the speakers)

yamaha rxv375
post #11 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Or you could buy more efficient speakers. Good luck.

post #12 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotInvolved View Post

i have paradigms, and they are good. im going to listen to the focus HDs trust me. if i dont like them, ill get B&W because there is a best buy near me with the HT room. they sell alot of B&W stuff. i just want the best stereo amp and pre amp possible to drive my speakers to their full ability. this is where it gets weird. you have to spend more money to avoid wasting it(getting good speakers then a bad amp. you would just waste the speakers)
Amps are amps and power is power. As long as you buy a quality product and not a cheapie then you'll be fine. The whole debate on buying an expensive amp because it sounds better is BS. Just get one with a low noise floor and enough power and you'll be fine.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #13 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Amps are amps and power is power. As long as you buy a quality product and not a cheapie then you'll be fine. The whole debate on buying an expensive amp because it sounds better is BS. Just get one with a low noise floor and enough power and you'll be fine.

Well, that's not *entirely* true now is it?

I've got a pair of speakers (N801s) that have a huge current draw and spend a lot of time at 2ohms. Having been face-to-face with Emotiva reps, it's not a load that amp is best suited for. The power supply won't move enough current and the resistance is a bit too low. I do better with Crown/Peavy on those.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

legacy audio focus SEs. i dont have them yet, I'm planning on getting these next year or so... so im trying to figure things out right now so i know what to get when the time comes.
the space is undefined, but will be acoustically treated with bass traps and panels

No offense,but man you are all over the place with
Your posts on this forum. In one thread you talk about
A $12k budget, in this thread your asking about power
Amps for speakers that you may own in the 'next year or so'

My dollar sez in the next year or so you will
Change your mind probably at least 20 times.

My advice...be happy with your nice set-up that you
Have.

SAVE your money,graduate high school , get your
Own place then put a plan together for a killer
System.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Your posts on this forum. In one thread you talk about
A $12k budget, in this thread your asking about power
Amps for speakers that you may own in the 'next year or so'

My dollar sez in the next year or so you will
Change your mind probably at least 20 times.

My advice...be happy with your nice set-up that you
Have.

SAVE your money,graduate high school , get your
Own place then put a plan together for a killer
System.

What this guy said...I just perused your posting history.

In college I started with a Kenwood in a box theater. Got a job then bought paradigm Titans an entry level Denon. 3 years later I bought Swan Divas and an Onkyo. Last year I upgraded to an Onkyo 818 with Ascend Sierras, Sierra Horizon, Mirage surrounds and an SVS SUB. This has been my 14 year journey...At each stage what I could afford sounded great.

Cerwin Vega to Legendary? Slow down Justin Bieber.

post #16 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

What this guy said...I just perused your posting history.

In college I started with a Kenwood in a box theater. Got a job then bought paradigm Titans an entry level Denon. 3 years later I bought Swan Divas and an Onkyo. Last year I upgraded to an Onkyo 818 with Ascend Sierras, Sierra Horizon, Mirage surrounds and an SVS SUB. This has been my 14 year journey...At each stage what I could afford sounded great.

Cerwin Vega to Legendary? Slow down Justin Bieber.
i

i have 2 jobs, and im saving my money for something i will be happy with. stop trying to be a smart ass and just help me out and if not, then then dont even say anything. im trying to work hard for something i really wan, and yes it will take a while. but i think preparing now and buying later is better than being all over the place when its time to buy.

im splitting up ****. 75% goes in the bank, for collage, a car, what ever.(thats one job.) and the other, 100% goes to my audio (i make less there)

and if i dont have the money by next year, who really cares? its my money, and its not your place to say i should graduate when im already saving up for collage. im not even out of hs yet.(to grasshoppers)

and i dont get the justin bieber insult... how do you compare me to justin bieber?

yamaha rxv375
post #17 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

If amp is amp, power is power, then why would there be a difference between cheap and a quality amp? Do tube amps count as amp being amp?
post #18 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Your posts on this forum.

You are also in the wrong place. This post is off topic for the speaker forum. Here is the Receivers, Amps, and Processors section of AVS. Good place to do your research.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #19 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i

i have 2 jobs, and im saving my money for something i will be happy with. stop trying to be a smart ass and just help me out and if not, then then dont even say anything. im trying to work hard for something i really wan, and yes it will take a while. but i think preparing now and buying later is better than being all over the place when its time to buy.

im splitting up ****. 75% goes in the bank, for collage, a car, what ever.(thats one job.) and the other, 100% goes to my audio (i make less there)

and if i dont have the money by next year, who really cares? its my money, and its not your place to say i should graduate when im already saving up for collage. im not even out of hs yet.(to grasshoppers)

and i dont get the justin bieber insult... how do you compare me to justin bieber?

Hey, what I mean is great sound doesn't cost $10k.

you're going from 30 MPH to 300 MPH.

Had no idea you were in High School. I can understand why your family is concerned about your need for sound.

All things are great in moderation.

If I were you I'd put together $2k.
I'd buy a 5.0 Ascend system then throw in an Hsu or lower end SVS sub. I'd pick up a mid tier Onkyo. Then I'd call it a day....for now.

you're only young once. You have your entire life to sit in your room by yourself. Take your $10k and go see the world. You'll never have so few strings attached to you as you do now. Buy a system that can grow with you. Good luck!

post #20 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You remind me a lot of myself about 12 years ago. The best advice I can give you is to not jump out and buy a bunch of really expensive audio gear based completely on what you are reading. The amount of BS in the audiophile world is mind boggling. Learning what's real, what's fake, and how everything really works takes time.

DIY really is the best route for an audio fanatic, cause you can eventually do exactly what you want for the cost of parts, but that is also a couple extra levels of knowledge

As far as the 2 channel setup, receivers with pre outs are really where its at. Setting the receiver to "pure direct" removes all of the processing, and it simply becomes a gain stage for the amp. Pre outs allow you to add a burly amp if you want one.
post #21 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Well, that's not *entirely* true now is it?

I've got a pair of speakers (N801s) that have a huge current draw and spend a lot of time at 2ohms. Having been face-to-face with Emotiva reps, it's not a load that amp is best suited for. The power supply won't move enough current and the resistance is a bit too low. I do better with Crown/Peavy on those.
It is generally true. But you are correct in that you have to get an amp that will drive your speakers.

post #22 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

If amp is amp, power is power, then why would there be a difference between cheap and a quality amp? Do tube amps count as amp being amp?
Tube amps are fine if that's what you like. Generally I don't like the power to price ratio, and I also don't like the fact tht they purposely induce distortion into the mix to make them sound "warm".

post #23 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Emotiva amps are great. I'd happily recommend them to anyone (I've had a few). I've never used their processors so I can't comment on that.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #24 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You are also in the wrong place. This post is off topic for the speaker forum. Here is the Receivers, Amps, and Processors section of AVS. Good place to do your research.

i thought i had posted this in receivers and amps... i guess ive been posting in speakers so much i just posted in it...

yamaha rxv375
post #25 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:

i thought i had posted this in receivers and amps... i guess ive been posting in speakers so much i just posted in it...

Since you aren't close to buying, your best bet is to read and research for now on your own, partially because you may change your mind by then. I haven't researched Emotiva amps myself, but I'm sure lots of people have expressed opinions about them on AVS and on other audio forums. Try searching in the AVS amps and receivers forum; I would imagine you'll find lots of discussion. smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #26 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Take a look at Philharmonic audio.The worst thing that can happen is buyers remorse. If you make a huge upgrade and dont experience the in between you tend to lose appreciation for what goes into making a speaker, their different sounds, the whole discerning enthusiast portion.
post #27 of 28 Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I totally agree with what others have said - start small and build your way up to better and better speakers, gear, room, etc. I own the Legacy Focus SE and think you can't go wrong with Legacy speakers...I've heard them all. You would be surprised just how good the Studio HD sounds. Pair them with a quality receiver (I personally prefer Denon) and I think you'll be thrilled with the sound. Want deeper bass extension? I second SVS subs, or learn to build your own. I built about a half dozen subwoofers when I was in HS and learned lots in the process. If you are passionate about audio, it is the journey that is exciting, not just the destination. Best of luck!

Matt

P.S. I personally don't care for Emotiva amps, and I've owned and sold or returned their XPA-5, XPA-2, XPA-1s, and XPR-2. With all their watts, they failed to provide good control of the dual 12" woofers on my Focus SEs, and the highs are shrill to my ears.
post #28 of 28 Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuoni View Post

I totally agree with what others have said - start small and build your way up to better and better speakers, gear, room, etc. I own the Legacy Focus SE and think you can't go wrong with Legacy speakers...I've heard them all. You would be surprised just how good the Studio HD sounds. Pair them with a quality receiver (I personally prefer Denon) and I think you'll be thrilled with the sound. Want deeper bass extension? I second SVS subs, or learn to build your own. I built about a half dozen subwoofers when I was in HS and learned lots in the process. If you are passionate about audio, it is the journey that is exciting, not just the destination. Best of luck!

Matt

P.S. I personally don't care for Emotiva amps, and I've owned and sold or returned their XPA-5, XPA-2, XPA-1s, and XPR-2. With all their watts, they failed to provide good control of the dual 12" woofers on my Focus SEs, and the highs are shrill to my ears.

My experience as well with emo amps. They are a tad bright. Not as refined as some amps I have heard. But they used to be an amazing value before they started raising prices over the last few years.

They do sound better than just an avr imo.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Legacy Audio Focus Se
Gear in this thread