Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I want to upgrade my system which consists:

-Denon 1713
-Energy take classics LCR and surrounds
-Kiplish RW-12D sub

Saw locally a pair of Studio Monitor silver RX6 towers at $1200.00. Also I´m being offered the pair of fronts, the center and a pair of RX1s as surrounds for 2000.

Are this prices right? Will the Denon 1713 be up to the job or will it burn?eek.gif

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-02-2013, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think this will help:

Studio Monitor Silver RX6

Item Value
System Format: 2 1/2 Way
Frequency Response: 38Hz - 35kHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M): 90dB
Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
Maximum SPL (dBA): 114.8
Power Handling (RMS): 125W
Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 40-125W
Bass Alignment: Dual Chamber, Bass reflex with differential tuning.
Twin HiVe®II port System
Tweeter Crossover Frequency: LF: 700Hz
MF/HF: 2.7kHz
Drive Unit Complement: 1 x 6" RST® Bass driver.
1 x 6" RST® Bass/Mid driver.
1 x 1" (25mm) C-CAM® gold dome tweeter
External Dimensions:
(H x W x D)
inc. plinth & feet 905 x 275 x 310 mm
(37 5/8 x 10 13/16 x 12 3/16 inch)
Individual Weight: 16.4 Kg (36.13 lb)

Also, I'm being offered the much cheaper pair of Studio Monitor MR4s towers and the center MRC for $1000.

My main concern is not burn the Denon 1713

Thanks for your answers guys!
post #3 of 22 Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 495
That's a pretty good deal on the Monitor Silver RX set (my guess is $300-400 off). The 1713 should drive these find at moderate volumes since they are pretty efficient. I would go with this option over the second option you posted.
meltrust likes this.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #4 of 22 Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Moderate volumes? Will it burn or get hot if I play a movie or music at high volumes?
post #5 of 22 Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 495
No. The receiver would go into protection mode before it suffered any significant damage. How loud do you plan to listen? Reference level?
meltrust likes this.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #6 of 22 Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

I have the energy take classic set and when I listen to music for a while the receiver gets hot. That is why i'm upgrading to bigger/more sensitive speakers. I tend to watch movies a little loud, I don't know what is reference level confused.gif

Just noticed I dont have enough space for towers.
I could also swap the towers for:

-RX2 bookshelves, the center, and RX1s for the rear or

-KEF Q300, Q600c and Q100s for the rear

-Go with cheaper/lower quality options like Infinity primus, polk rtis, bic acoustech, etc

I was originally going for the KEFs but someone in this forum warned me that although they are rated 8 ohms, they tend to go to 4 ohms.

Postrokfan could you help me decide? I need bookshelf speakers, would prefer the RX2 they are beautiful but I dont want to burn my receiver.

Is my receiver too bad?

Thanks!
post #7 of 22 Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I auditioned the Q300 with a 1713 and there was no issue - the 1713 could easily run the Q300's louder than was comfortable to listen to. I imagine the same would be true for the MA RX2's.

Those are both good speaker sets - either choice is good wink.gif
meltrust likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

As mentioned earlier, the Q300 are rated 8ohms but someone in this forum told me its a lie they have been measured to go down to 4ohms. Could this be true??

The MA RX2s are rated 6ohms but they seem to have a better sensivity. (MA RX2 90db vs Q300 87db).

What would you choose?

Thanks guys
post #9 of 22 Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
The person who told you it's a lie is not a reputable source of knowledge. All speakers dip and peak beyond their nominal rating, an 8 ohm speaker never always plays at 8 ohms. The Q300 is a fine speaker that will play well on even the most rudimentary receiver. I have chosen to power mine with an external amp only because my room is huge. For nominal listening in an average size room my 75 watt Onkyo was fine.

The only way to choose is to listen.
meltrust likes this.

post #10 of 22 Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

The person who told you it's a lie is not a reputable source of knowledge. All speakers dip and peak beyond their nominal rating, an 8 ohm speaker never always plays at 8 ohms. The Q300 is a fine speaker that will play well on even the most rudimentary receiver. I have chosen to power mine with an external amp only because my room is huge. .

Thanks for the answer.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475002/kef-q300-a-downgrade-from-energy-take-classic-set#post_23377371

posts #4 and #19 concern me.

RX2s are getting a much better WAF now, bout i'm also concerned at their 6ohms (but their sensivity at 90db is good). I want peace of mind smile.gif

Any thoughts?
post #11 of 22 Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Mel (or is it Melt wink.gif ), if it helps, go to Stereophile and search for reviews and measurements for any number of speakers, and look at impedance graph. If nothing else this will show you that impedance is not a constant. While it's good to be concerned, you can think of something more important than driving your speakers - the advice you've been given has been good, your choices just fine. Honestly the impedance thing is way overblown IMO, unless you're cranking speakers at high volume for a great length of time and heating your home from your receiver, you're safe driving speakers rated with low impedance dips from even an 8 ohm receiver.
meltrust likes this.

post #12 of 22 Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Mel (or is it Melt wink.gif ), if it helps, go to Stereophile and search for reviews and measurements for any number of speakers, and look at impedance graph. If nothing else this will show you that impedance is not a constant. While it's good to be concerned, you can think of something more important than driving your speakers - the advice you've been given has been good, your choices just fine. Honestly the impedance thing is way overblown IMO, unless you're cranking speakers at high volume for a great length of time and heating your home from your receiver, you're safe driving speakers rated with low impedance dips from even an 8 ohm receiver.
nethawk:

Thanks for the info!!

Then it's safe to choose either the RXs or the Kefs and ill be fine right?

Thanks
post #13 of 22 Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You will be fine with your Denon 1713 & RX2’s/RX speakers. The Denon has an 80watt rating @ 8ohms, and 120watts @ 6ohms.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productcomparision.aspx?pIDs=avr1913%28denonna%29%7Cavr1713%28denonna%29%7Cavr1613%28denonna%29%7Cavr1513%28denonna%29&catID=avreceivers%28denonna%29
meltrust likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-03-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

thanks a lot!!smile.gif
post #15 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Guys, I was late... Just got a pair of RX2s and a RXcentre, but the RX1s were sold out.

I'm left with the take classic pair of surrounds, may I use them with no problems with the receiver while I find the missing RX1s to buy?

The pair of take classic is 8ohm and all the fronts and center 6ohm (no problem there for the denon combining impedances?).

Thanks a lot
post #16 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

The RX1’s would be cheaper cost wise, but getting some RXFX’s for surrounds is well worth the extra cost.

Well maybe I shouldn’t say well worth the cost, it kinda depends on the shape of your room. If it is easier to integrate some bookshelf speakers on stands then some RXFX’s on the wall, then the RX1’s are the way to go.

I wasn’t suggesting RXFX’s for ease of placement, but the effect that Bi/Di-pole speakers will give to your entire surround setup.

To answer your question, you won’t have an issue by having 6ohms for your front stage and 8ohms for your surrounds.

And B.T.W.

CONGRATS on getting a nice front stage with the Monitor Audio RX line. Which sub do you plan to use with them?

I have the RX2’s and I love them for my movie watching and 2channel music listening. I sometime get tired of going thru my process of switching things around for either movie or music.

When I am watching my movies, I do have the ports plugged (I ran audyessy this way), and I have them Xover’ed at 60hz.

When I listen to music, I change the RX2’s to fullrange in my AVR, I unplug the ports and turn off my subs, and I love’em.
meltrust likes this.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

The RX1’s would be cheaper cost wise, but getting some RXFX’s for surrounds is well worth the extra cost.

Well maybe I shouldn’t say well worth the cost, it kinda depends on the shape of your room. If it is easier to integrate some bookshelf speakers on stands then some RXFX’s on the wall, then the RX1’s are the way to go.

I wasn’t suggesting RXFX’s for ease of placement, but the effect that Bi/Di-pole speakers will give to your entire surround setup.

To answer your question, you won’t have an issue by having 6ohms for your front stage and 8ohms for your surrounds.

And B.T.W.

CONGRATS on getting a nice front stage with the Monitor Audio RX line. Which sub do you plan to use with them?

I have the RX2’s and I love them for my movie watching and 2channel music listening. I sometime get tired of going thru my process of switching things around for either movie or music.

When I am watching my movies, I do have the ports plugged (I ran audyessy this way), and I have them Xover’ed at 60hz.

When I listen to music, I change the RX2’s to fullrange in my AVR, I unplug the ports and turn off my subs, and I love’em.

As you can see, I don´t have the space for dipoles or towers, theres a big window behind me covered by a courtain.

Thanks for your comments, smile.gif the speakers were heavily discounted, the RX2s and the RXcentre for 1153. The center had no grill and that´s why the discount was bigger, but I wasn´t planning on using the grills anyway.

I ordered a 12" Klipsch reference RW-12D and it's on its way. I hope it plays well with the RXs!!!

BTW i'm having a hard time looking for RX1s, the only ones I´ve found are USED for $390
post #18 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Well, looking at your pics, you do have room for some di-poles, but the $390 just isn’t beatable, and is a great price for some RX1’s

My suggestion for having the RXFX is a little imposing and would cause a change in your layout.

Using this pic to explain:

I would switch the TV and the loveseat that is to the right of the TV places.

By switching that way, and with the di/bi-poles, you can mount them flush on the side walls, and they would be out of the way.

Right now, I understand why you have the TV on that wall, its so that the rear speakers are out of the way by not being in the middle of the floor, if it was the other way.

It would sound so much better with the rear speakers mounted and not in the person ears the way they are now.
post #19 of 22 Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

This is getting a little hard.. I paid for my speakers yesterday, they told me to return back to the store today for them. But when I went for my pair of RX2 and for my RXcentre, they told me in the store that It was a mistake, the heavily discounted grilless RXcentre had already been sold to another customer in another city, but they had forgotten to put it out of display.

Now the are telling me that they can give me another Rxcentre (with grill) for 20% off and not 50%. I would have to pay like $250 for the difference. They are also offering me to refund my money.

Now I´m fighting for my already paid speakers as it was NOT my fault and I have the ticket that describes the goods as "paid".
mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Thanks for the advice.

The wall to the left (where the tv is now) would be no problem for mounted speakers, problem would be the opposite, its a very big glass window covered by a courtain. Is it possible to mount a speaker on a glass window? Or should I mount the speaker higher to avoid the window? Maybe ceiling ? smile.gif

Ohh i LOVE your setup BTW. eek.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif
post #20 of 22 Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

350x700px-LL-4587c40a_lafoto3.jpg 53k .jpg file

In the pic I put a black square, and they would be mounted close to that spot as possible. When using di-pole, they should be mounted slightly behind the listener and a couple feet above ear level.

I am sorry to hear that the transaction isn't going very smooth. If I were you, I would keep fighting for your paid items. Where do you live? Look on the internet to see if you can find any local laws to help in your situation.

BTW...

Thank you for the compliment. I do absolutely love these Monitor Audio, and since getting them I have no reason in wanting to upgrade. I did upgrade my AVR from an Onkyo 805 to an Onkyo 5008.

I do want, and maybe need to do some room treatment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 350x700px-LL-4587c40a_lafoto3.jpg (53.3 KB, 16 views)
meltrust likes this.
post #21 of 22 Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice. I won the battle for the RXCentre now I have it installed and the RX2s are on the way (15 days).

I woud love to follow your setup advice, but the problem is I have a 1 year old litle girl, and Ill have to mount everything to the wall to prevent her destroying or perforating those drivers. In that wall that you suggest me, theres no space because the windows. Also, I think the main listening position would be way too close to the TV, I can't move the furniture backwards because there's the table which needs space too.

Im planning to mount the RX center to top of the TV, tilted down. Also Im planing to mount the RX2s Swiveling them so the are not stuck to the wall. I also plan to mount the tv to the wall.

BUT, you gave me an idea....

Could I just mount the surrounds on the spot you suggested? maybe monopoles pointing to the MLP or bipoles??

Like this:

Maybe monopoles pointing to the listener? or bipoles??

Thanks!!
post #22 of 22 Old 06-12-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I think the right speaker needs to be highter so people dont drop it.

Thanks
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Kef Q300wa Bookshelf Speakers
Gear in this thread - Q300wa by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page