TV stand that fits a 9" tall center speaker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi,
I've been auditioning speakers for a couple of months and have decided on the Aperions. The problem is the center channel speaker is 9" tall and I can't find a TV stand that accommodates that height. My TV is a DLP that sits on top of the stand so I need an open style stand that has 9" of clearance on both the bottom and middle shelves to fit my AVR & center speaker. I've been searching and I can't find any stands that seem to do that.
Any suggestions for a stand that fits these larger center speakers?
Thanks

I have seen the Standout cabinets and they would work but I like the open steel and glass style better.

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

Hi,
I've been auditioning speakers for a couple of months and have decided on the Aperions. The problem is the center channel speaker is 9" tall and I can't find a TV stand that accommodates that height. My TV is a DLP that sits on top of the stand so I need an open style stand that has 9" of clearance on both the bottom and middle shelves to fit my AVR & center speaker. I've been searching and I can't find any stands that seem to do that.
Any suggestions for a stand that fits these larger center speakers?
Thanks

I have seen the Standout cabinets and they would work but I like the open steel and glass style better.

How about using something like this for the center?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5fYKkLtt0zl/shopsearch/Center_Stage.html
post #3 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5fYKkLtt0zl/shopsearch/Center_Stage.html
+1
post #4 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion but the strongest of those stands only supports 30 pounds and 6" deep. The Grand center is 39 pounds and 11" or 12" deep. Also with my set up the speaker would be too high. And most importantly, my TV feels really flimsy up top where that bracket would go. There's no strength in the top of my set, I'd be afraid the whole thing would come down.

Doug

post #5 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
There is most likely not going to be an equipment rack that is going to fit your needs with a large center channel. I also had this problem with my large center channel. Most AV rack shelves wont be tall enough. You don't want the center channel down at knee level anyway.

I would suggest making a DIY riser for your center channel and TV. That's what I did. My center channel is at ear level and my TV sits on top of the riser. It's made out of schedule 40PVC and edge glued wood. It's extremely strong.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Liked: 13
Here you go, brown or white:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Mku1puJGHLR/p_6318137CWL/BDI-OLA-8137-Chocolate-Stained-Walnut.html

TV Pan TC-P60GT50, Denon AVR-1713, Front towers BA A360, Center BA A225C, Surround BA XS Satellite, Sub Klipsch RW12D, Blu-ray player Sony BDP-S5100, Ethereal Power Manager 2000.
post #7 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 PM

Hey Doug, I had same problem with my VGC. I ended up removing middle shelf of my tv stand to fit mine. Of course I didn't want to change the stand I had. I did a quick search for tv stands on amazon and it looked like Bello had some. Checked their website and they have quite a few stands that should work. Check there, they have pics with measurements of shelf openings. Find the one you like and then check amazon for best price. Hope you find one that works for you.
post #8 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM

Liked: 11
Try Salamander Synergy.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Really appreciate all the tips but so far.................

bhaaf: The Synergy has a center channel height of only 8.25", the Chameleon might work but it was over $2000 which is more than I want to spend plus it's enclosed which I'd rather avoid
volfan dhp: The Bello stands are exactly what I'm looking for but after 15 minutes on the phone with them, they realized they didn't make anything that had 9" clearance on the top and bottom shelves
ElectroMike: The height on that unit works but the center opening is only 20" wide where I need 26" and I wasn't crazy about that style or price, I should have mentioned that I'd like to keep the cost under $1000
Secret Squirrel (great screen name btw): I think I'm going to end up trying your idea, I'm not sure how good I can make that look but it looks like that's about my only affordable option at this point

Doug

post #10 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Here's what I ended up doing for my 11" x 23" x 12.5" center.
post #11 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 PM

Liked: 20
From looking at your “TV Room Upgrade” pics:

Maybe another option might be to wall mount the TV so that its bottom is 9” (or more) above the top of you TV stand. Then just move the speaker up to the top shelf position.
post #12 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

My TV is not a flatscreen but rather a DLP which doesn't lend itself to wall mounting. And I already have built a shelf in the wall behind the TV to hold lights and antennas.

Doug

post #13 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:

My TV is not a flatscreen but rather a DLP which doesn't lend itself to wall mounting. And I already have built a shelf in the wall behind the TV to hold lights and antennas.

Yeah, I had a similar issue as I don't have a good anchor point for wall-mounting my TV. That's why I ended up modding my relatively inexpensive ($300 or so) TV stand.
post #14 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's why I ended up modding my relatively inexpensive ($300 or so) TV stand.

I saw that and it looks great. My stand has metal legs so that's not an option and I'm not particularly handy anyway.

Doug

post #15 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Hey Doug, wish I knew how to link these from my cell but I don't. Bello's website has at least three stands with openings big enough. Don't know which finish you got on your Grands but there is the AVSC2141 with a little wood on each side that would go well with the cherry. Amazon has it for a little over $200. One opening is 10 7/8" the other is 11". If you got black there is the PVS421HG that has 9 3/8" openings and is around $150 @ amazon. Both stands are rated to 125 lbs on top for tv. They say 46" but my tv is 55" and is on a stand made for 42" tv. The small amount of hangover doesn't look bad at all.
post #16 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

volfan......thanks for your help, I'm surprised the Bello rep I talked to didn't mention the 2141. Although it won't work for me as it's only 44" wide and I need the stand to be between 60 & 70" wide, my TV is 73". I should have mentioned that in my original post. It looks like the 421 is only 33" wide so that won't work either but I appreciate it.

Doug

post #17 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Ok here's my last shot. Sonax B-051-LMT. 60" wide 10" openings. They have another model same width they say accommodates DLP's up to 82". BTW found all these suggestions with a google search for tv stands. Try it as you know better than I what you are looking for. BTW welcome to the Aperion family. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
post #18 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaaf View Post

Try Salamander Synergy.
I have a similar center a 9.25" high Aerial CC-3 center and Salamander proved to be a perfect solution. You can easily put these tables together to your personal specs.smile.gif
post #19 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

volfan
Again, thanks.
I've been searching for a couple of hours today and also I looked around a few weeks ago when I first realized that whatever new center channel I end up with would not fit on my current stand.
You won't believe this but I had looked at that Sonax stand on my first go round. The between shelf dimensions from Sonax show 10" but the overall height says only 22" and some reviewers had posted comments saying that the website dimensions are wrong and that it only has 8.25" of clearance. If you roll over the image with the dimensions a window pops up saying "Actual height 8.25". That's been my luck with this search.
As for the Aperions, I've been auditioning the black bookshelves but I'm going to upgrade to the cherry towers. I'm really liking these speakers, the sound is growing on me instead of growing more fatiguing as other speakers have done. Beautiful cabinetry too!

Doug

post #20 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Class A
I was on the Salamander site earlier looking at the "Triple 20 with center channel shelf" but the dimensions show only 8.25" high for the center opening. What model do you have that fits your 9.25" tall speaker?

Doug

post #21 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 AM

According to a review I read on BB site the Sonax has proper space to fit the VGC. The guy said it was 8.5" to bottom of crossbar. He suggested installing components before putting in shelf above. Might be a bit of a pain to place and remove center but how often do you plan on doing that?
DougReim likes this.
post #22 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM

Liked: 10
I built a diy riser for my tv too. I used a couple of shelves from Lowe's plus screws and wood glue.
post #23 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan dhp View Post

According to a review I read on BB site the Sonax has proper space to fit the VGC. The guy said it was 8.5" to bottom of crossbar. He suggested installing components before putting in shelf above. Might be a bit of a pain to place and remove center but how often do you plan on doing that?

That makes sense; my Sonax stand is like that too (about 1.5" of clearance behind the horizontal support bar). However, there's a bigger issue than just ease of installation. Ideally, the center should stick out at least an inch beyond the front edge rather than be behind a bar that would create some unwanted reflections.
post #24 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

volfan,
Are you saying that you have to place the speaker rearwards somewhat so that the brace doesn't interfere? If so, I don't want to go that way because of reflection. With the overall height being 22" it's hard to see how they can have that much clearance between the shelves.
With that being said, I like this stand so I'm going to call Amazon and see if they can verify the dimensions.

Here's a link to the page that shows the 8.25" clear height when you roll your mouse over the dimensions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0071IMNYA/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1

In the meantime, I'm having my shop guy make a riser so I'll see how that turns out.

Doug

post #25 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 11
On the Salamander Synergy all of the shelves are adjustable up and down. There not cheap but they are very nicely made. I have the triple 20.
post #26 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

bhaff,
I agree they look nice.
If I'm reading correctly the triple 20 is not wide enough to fit a 26" cc speaker and the triple 20 with cc design is only 8.5" tall and isn't adjustable?
From Salamander's site:
Quote:
Includes 1 fixed, triple-width shelf and 3 rear panels.
Holds TV's or DLP's up to 70
Accommodates S20 Side Panels and S10 Doors.

Measures: 65.75" W x 19.75" D (ID= 19.75" W x 18" D) leveler feet allow maximum height of 21". Center channel opening: 62" W x 8.125" H x 17.5" D.

Doug

post #27 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

bhaff,
I agree they look nice.
If I'm reading correctly the triple 20 is not wide enough to fit a 26" cc speaker and the triple 20 with cc design is only 8.5" tall and isn't adjustable?
From Salamander's site:

I think what bhaff is referring to is the fact that you can get risers made to your specified height. These "risers" are basically another shelf but without any posts running across the front of it- a metallic "header" bar of sorts runs across the top to provide support. You can order a custom size from 8.5" to 17". Go an inch bigger than suggested as that metal header takes away about half an inch of clearance in the opening. Here's a link to a page with an example, look for the words "Triple Riser." I purchased an 11" riser shelf for my 9.5" tall center channel and it works very well as it is unobstructed by any support bars, and I still have my heavy plasma TV (>100lbs) on the top.
post #28 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

thrand1,
Got it, thanks. I didn't see the custom section before. This is more than I wanted to spend just to accommodate a speaker but it does work. I'll see how this riser that my shop is making turns out and if it looks ******, I'll probably get one of these Salamanders.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Hey, I see this forum deletes bad language......biggrin.gif

Doug

post #29 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone is interested, I just found this which looks perfect. I called and they're going to verify the dimensions and get back to me. It's probably not quite as nice as the Salamander but it's about $600-$700 cheaper.

http://www.theaterseatstore.com/furnitech-ft72ccb-e
Breddy likes this.

Doug

Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page