New House, New Audio System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys !

I've been following a lot of threads since about a month now because I wanted to know what were the pro's opinions on Hd TV and Home theater

For my Tv im 99.9% dead settle on the Panasonic S60 60" since in Canada here I cant get the S64 but thats another story.

So After a lot of reading I was easily able to choose an Hd TV, but the same thing cant be said for my audio system smile.gif

So I decied to create my own thread and talk about my case and see if I can get any help with that biggrin.gif

Here we go, so 1st my dedicated amusement room (well 2nd after bedroom smile.gif )

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2015/hometheater.jpg (focus on the audio room hehe thanks)

My Plasma TV will be hung on the wall with http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004G40L14 (Left wall in that room)

For my equipments under the TV on the floor I will be using something similar to

http://i-store.walmart.ca/images/WMTCNPE/139/616/1139616_Enlarged_1.jpeg (I just havent found anything 100% to my liking yet)

Sooooo.... ! What only remain is the sound system !

My budget is around 2000-2500$

I will be using this system for about 60% Games and 40% Movies, Animes, Series

I want a really good and clear sound for the average moments in the movie but I also want a huge punch with the explosions

Most of the time its 1 or the other... You either get a huge punch in the chest when things explode but you dont hear **** when they just talk normally.

So thats 1 thing

I also like tower speakers and I think they should fit perfectly in that room

Im looking for a 5.1 and later 7.1 system

Keep in mind that i'm mostly a noob in the " Audio Language " most of the time I was scratching my head trying to figure out what you guys were writting in the forum wink.gif

So here we go, if i missed anything make sure to ask me

And THANKS a lot for taking time to answer back smile.gif

Edlt: I can buy separately or 1 complete kit depending on you guys opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackzor View Post

Hi Guys !

For my Tv im 99.9% dead settle on the Panasonic S60 60" since in Canada here I cant get the S64 but thats another story.

So After a lot of reading I was easily able to choose an Hd TV, but the same thing cant be said for my audio system smile.gif

The Panasonic ST60 is probably more in the sweet-spot compared to the S60. Any particular reason you are going with the lower line?

Quote:

My budget is around 2000-2500$

Ok, that includes speakers, subwoofer(s) and AVR?

Quote:

I want a really good and clear sound for the average moments in the movie but I also want a huge punch with the explosions

Alright, we are going to need subwoofers biggrin.gif

Quote:

I also like tower speakers and I think they should fit perfectly in that room

Im looking for a 5.1 and later 7.1 system

Edlt: I can buy separately or 1 complete kit depending on you guys opinions

Best Buy in Ontario has a 5.0 speaker package from Klipsch on sale for $700. That would be a good beginner's system in your price range leaving you room for subwoofers and an AVR. Stay away from subwoofers bundled with packages and get something from an Internet Direct company.
post #3 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Allllright ! Thanks a lot for you 1st answer

1st) Im taking the S60 because of the dreadful input lag on the ST60 since I will game a lot on this TV

2nd) Thanks a lot for the speaker link ! but since im a noob ... smile.gif I would really love recommendations on Sub, AVR and everything

since im mostly gonna end up buying what you guys think fit most my needs

Thanks so much ! biggrin.gif
post #4 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Some quick and dirty recommendations would be to go with an Onkyo AVR and SVS subwoofers to match the Klipsch package.

The Onkyo TX-NR626 is $649 from Amazon.ca and dual SVS PC12-NSD would run $1500 through Sonic Boom Audio. With the $700 speaker package that should keep you roughly within your budget.

You can also try your luck in the respective sub-forums for those products.
post #5 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Cool thanks a lot ! I'll probably write in the SUB section then !

And are those the BEST speakers for the best bang for bucks ?

im gonna go check some review on them right now

Edit: Wanting to spend 2 - 2.5k on this I though I could get better than begginer system... no ?

Looking at others thread : I just took 2x random speakers people said which got an amazing sound

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-PL-89-Acoustech-Speakers/dp/B001VIXH7I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and they look awesome, what do you think ?
post #6 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Cool thanks a lot ! I'll probably write in the SUB section then !

And are those the BEST speakers for the best bang for bucks ?

im gonna go check some review on them right now

$700 for a full 5.0 or 7.0 package with towers as you specified is going to limit the options to entry-level or budget systems especially when you factor in pricing/availability for Canada. The infamous Pioneer package is in the same category and is highly reviewed, but you can always find something better when you have more money. Of course you will outclass any built-in TV speaker and HTiB system, but there are better speakers to be found.

Quote:

Edit: Wanting to spend 2 - 2.5k on this I though I could get better than begginer system... no ?

Looking at others thread : I just took 2x random speakers people said which got an amazing sound

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-PL-89-Acoustech-Speakers/dp/B001VIXH7I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and they look awesome, what do you think ?

I am not familiar at all with the Klipsch F series or the BIC Acoustech, but would venture to say they are comparable. Just go to the owners' threads and you find many favorable opinions for either. I would consider both given your current preferences. Klipsch, Pioneer and JBL should be easy to audition, which is another thing you might want to consider.

Should you be able to compromise on the tower requirement you can find a lot more packages.

Here is another package to look at for comparison: Axiom Audio Epic Midi 125 ($1435 CAD) or 175 ($1604.55 CAD).

Another strategy would be to go with a 3.0 setup first and slowly work your way up to 5.0 (then 5.1 or 5.2 or 7.1 or 7.2), which is what I did on my current system.
post #7 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

OK Thanks would you know canadien retailers Website for items such as the bic acoustech
post #8 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I dont know any canadian retailers for BIC. As for the klipsch I prefer their reference line up. Better drivers and their tweeter sounds a more tamed than the synergy lineup. I find the synergy's compressions tweeter is just too bright. I have heard them in about 3 different environments and i couldnt listen to it for more than an hour at a time. More than that and it just wasnt enjoyable. The reference line I have only heard the towers at a future shop, however I heard the RB 61 in someone's home and their tweeter, with some eq can actually sound quite good. They dig rather deep for bookshelves which impressed me. For music you could get buy without a sub as along as you are not critical, however a sub does definitely make the music feel more lively and more true to life.

These are horn loaded speakers so be sure that you like their sound signature because its a different sound than traditional dome. Since you're in Canada futureshop usually does a 2 for 1 deal on klipsch towers. I would wait for that.
post #9 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I see so klipsch reference line seams to be the way to go eh? I Will check this a lot more once i Get home tonight
post #10 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:

OK Thanks would you know canadien retailers Website for items such as the bic acoustech

Did not see a warning on the BIC product page on Amazon, so I thought it could be shipped to Canada, but nope. The warning only appeared once I tried to check out. You could have it shipped to the border, but that is more hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petden View Post

I dont know any canadian retailers for BIC. As for the klipsch I prefer their reference line up. Better drivers and their tweeter sounds a more tamed than the synergy lineup. I find the synergy's compressions tweeter is just too bright. I have heard them in about 3 different environments and i couldnt listen to it for more than an hour at a time. More than that and it just wasnt enjoyable. The reference line I have only heard the towers at a future shop, however I heard the RB 61 in someone's home and their tweeter, with some eq can actually sound quite good. They dig rather deep for bookshelves which impressed me. For music you could get buy without a sub as along as you are not critical, however a sub does definitely make the music feel more lively and more true to life.

These are horn loaded speakers so be sure that you like their sound signature because its a different sound than traditional dome. Since you're in Canada futureshop usually does a 2 for 1 deal on klipsch towers. I would wait for that.

I prefer the RF series from Klipsch. Have had a bookshelf speaker from that series installed and I was really impressed with it. They used to run specials for a 5.0 RF package around $1600 but I have not seen that in a while and the RF series has disappeared from the BestBuy.ca site???

Thanks for reminding me of the existence of FutureShop! Just noticed they have a sale on a 5.1 package from the RF series @ $1999.94. Now that would be a killer setup, but you would have to replace the measly single 10" subwoofer at some point with something serious. You would still have enough room for a decent AVR though.
post #11 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Cool deal for http://m.futureshop.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=B0000723&lang=en-cas if everyone think Thats the setup to go Thats What im gonna Get! Also you think the sub might not be enough? As i said i want to be punched when theres an explosion. Think i should go with an avr 5.2 to maximize my chances?
post #12 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Cool deal for http://m.futureshop.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=B0000723&lang=en-cas if everyone think Thats the setup to go Thats What im gonna Get! Also you think the sub might not be enough? As i said i want to be punched when theres an explosion. Think i should go with an avr 5.2 to maximize my chances?

Your room is a little small for 7.x so I would go for 5.2 as you have a lot of openings to adjacent spaces. The 8" woofer on the tower should be able to deliver a nice punch and placing the sub somewhat close to your seating position will help, but you are looking at getting two real subwoofers down the road to even out the bass response and deliver more slam.

That is a great system for a good price, but you will have to make the trade-off of deferring your sub purchase or upping your budget. Totally worth it in the long-run!
post #13 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a 1.3k home theater to my folks 2 years ago and they dont use their sub so i though i could steal it for my 2nd sub. Think Its worth it or should i really look for a Crazy sub ?
post #14 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM

In canada sub options are quite limited. For <$1000 the best options are the SVS subs of which there are 5 you can choose from. I would probably look at the SB12. It should have strong output down to 20hz in room which is perfect for movies and it still very accurate for music if you ever do any of that. Then at a later date you can add another and smooth out room response even more.

The problem I have with that package is that there is a lot of mixing and matching. That center is far too small for those towers. I would want at least 6.5" drivers which would be the RC 62 or Im assuming the 2013 model would be a RC 600.
post #15 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Arg i dont mind picking every item by itself then
post #16 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:

I bought a 1.3k home theater to my folks 2 years ago and they dont use their sub so i though i could steal it for my 2nd sub. Think Its worth it or should i really look for a Crazy sub ?

That setup does most likely not include a very capable subwoofer. Just leave it alone.

Quote:

In canada sub options are quite limited. For <$1000 the best options are the SVS subs of which there are 5 you can choose from. I would probably look at the SB12. It should have strong output down to 20hz in room which is perfect for movies and it still very accurate for music if you ever do any of that. Then at a later date you can add another and smooth out room response even more.

The problem I have with that package is that there is a lot of mixing and matching. That center is far too small for those towers. I would want at least 6.5" drivers which would be the RC 62 or Im assuming the 2013 model would be a RC 600.

I think the most important match is that of the tweeters. Sure, a 6.5" mid-range would be nice, but the towers and center are close enough in sensitivity (96dB vs. 98dB) that the center should have no problems keeping up with the towers. I have matched a Paradigm Studio CC-690 center with Paradigm Studio 40 towers. 6 drivers vs. 3 drivers. The tower has no 4.5" mid-range and a different number of 7" woofers. Completely different cross-overs and some power handling differences and my front stage blends seamlessly regardless. Sure the Studio 100 looks like the better match on paper, but I still get very good results.

Quote:

Arg i dont mind picking every item by itself then

You are going to have a very hard time finding five Klipsch Reference series speakers that include such big towers.

Let's take Future Shop as an example and apply the stricter "matching principle":
2 x Klipsch RF600B towers: $1399.98
1 x Klipsch RC-62: $649.99
2 x Klipsch RB600B: $1399.98
Total system price: $3449.95 (smaller towers, no sub, direct radiators for surrounds)

Similar system from ElectronicsForLess.ca:
2 x Klipsch RF-62 II tower: $1019.15
1 x Klipsch RC-62 II center: $551.65
2 x Klipsch RS-62 II surround: $1223.15
Total system price: $2793.95 (smaller towers, no sub, perfect match of tweeter & mid-range)
post #17 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hummm so the Future Shop price seams pretty good now eh ?

I also got link this setup

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1539&sc=27

supposed with a 15% coupon discount i could use

it really seams almost exacly as the

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIC-Acoustech-PL-89-5-1-Home-Theater-System-PL-200-/390412666522?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5ae668869a

but every item got the " II " serie after its name on the 1st link
post #18 of 44 Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Hummm so the Future Shop price seams pretty good now eh ?

Yup.

Quote:

I also got link this setup

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1539&sc=27

supposed with a 15% coupon discount i could use

I doubt that shipping from Nevada to Canada would be free (Alaska and Hawaii have surcharges). Not sure how much they would charge for shipping, but you could contact them. Also keep in mind potential return, warranty or repair issues.

The BIC Acoustech PL-8220 package (just the official name for the recommended combination of speakers) sounds great on paper. Let us know how they sound should you order them biggrin.gif
post #19 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:

I agree with the SVS Sound subwoofer recommendation. They are one of the top Internet direct sub retailers regularly recommended on the AVS subwoofer forum. Great bang for the buck, and they have a Canadian distributor.

Might also look at dual PB-1000s or one PB12-NSD. I didn't catch your room size. That's a factor in determining how much (powerful) sub you need. Definitely dual subs offer an advantage with smoothing the in room response across a wider seating area.

post #20 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I agree with the SVS Sound subwoofer recommendation. They are one of the top Internet direct sub retailers regularly recommended on the AVS subwoofer forum. Great bang for the buck, and they have a Canadian distributor.

Might also look at dual PB-1000s or one PB12-NSD. I didn't catch your room size. That's a factor in determining how much (powerful) sub you need. Definitely dual subs offer an advantage with smoothing the in room response across a wider seating area.

The floor plan was in the original post. Looks like a semi-open concept with listening room, kitchen, dining room and staircase all connected, which is why I also recommended 5.2 above.
post #21 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Would you buy the PL-200 Powered Subwoofer with the 5.0 acoustech PL-89 II + the SB12

or only the 5.0 PL-89II + the SB12 as the only sub to begin ?

Edit: I just called them and to get this shipped here would cost me about 450 $ more

so thats a deal breaker, damnit ! :/
post #22 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Would you buy the PL-200 Powered Subwoofer with the 5.0 acoustech PL-89 II + the SB12

or only the 5.0 PL-89II + the SB12 as the only sub to begin ?

Subwoofers from speaker manufacturers usually do not do well in the price/performance ratio, but the BIC PL-200 is actually not half bad. Someone over on Audioholics.com has shared some CEA 2010 measurements which happen to include that little sub. Have a look for yourself, but the most noteworthy are probably the bandwidth (non-)uniformity and lack of extension below 40Hz.

You can do some research in the dedicated sub-forum on mixing different subwoofer models, but my take on it is that if the two models were to have different performance characteristics it might be hard to get a good mix.
post #23 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 AM

The SVS SB12-NSD outperforms the BIC PL-200. Its output is more uniform and goes down to 30Hz with decent output. It is a sealed design, so you can get more extension from a ported design. A question of personal preference.

Measurements from Audioholics.com review

Data-bass.com measurements on file for SVS
post #24 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
I agree about the SVS over the PL-200.

Here are the full reviews of the SB12-NSD and PB12-NSD that the data-base.com measurements come from:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/sb12-nsd-subwoofer

I know that towers have a coolness factor in terms of looks, but for an HT/gaming setup, I would go with better bookshelves over lower model series/quality towers. The higher model bookshelves can have better SQ, and the only advantage of the towers then is lower frequency extension. However, with a good sub, you would not be taking advantage of that deeper extension since you can crossover your speakers/sub at 80hz.

To make your budget work, get the Klipsch RB-61 for fronts. I'd prefer them over the Acoustech towers. If your room will accommodate setting up a 2nd pair as surrounds, that would make your budget very workable.

post #25 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Oh thanks for the info

So If i resume, so far I should go with

the Klipsch RB-61 x4
The SVS SB12-NSD as sub

and what would you suggest as middle center ?
post #26 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM

Rc 52/500 or rc 62. Those would work best. I would try and get the 62. I think that would be a pretty nice system.
post #27 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Alright! Noted do you know any canadien retailers for those btw?
post #28 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Alright! Noted do you know any canadien retailers for those btw?

Not aware of any special deals. Both Klipsch speakers (RB-61, RC-62 II) are available from the Canadian online retailer I referenced above for $649 each:

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-3/subwoofers-speakers-15/index-2-2a.html?manufacturer=124

Total cost: $3,245
post #29 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Ouch!! That exploded my budget with a bazooka. Have you ever seen those going for a special price?
post #30 of 44 Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Ouch!! That exploded my budget with a bazooka. Have you ever seen those going for a special price?

I have not seen deals or packages based around Klipsch bookshelf speakers. The package deals I have seen from Best Buy and Future Shop usually revolve around a tower.

Maybe cel4145 would like to chime in on the package I have linked to in post #10 that is available for just under $2000:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/-/b0000723.aspx?path=91fd8402f613c44e57fe766575aec3e8en02&SearchPageIndex=1
Reply Speakers

Tags
Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Klipsch Rc62 Black 2 Way Center Channel Speaker , Paradigm Studio Cc 690 Center Channel Speaker
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page