JBL Pro 3677 Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Critical Listener, for over 8 years, has sold only "consumer" level equipment. Yamaha, Anthem, Paradigm, PSB, Totem, Panasonic, Denon, Marantz and other well known, and not so well known, consumer audio products. So it was with some trepidation that we decided to move into the world of "pro" level equipment. While many reading this will understand the concept of pro equipment, it is important to reiterate it to the few reading this that do not. Pro equipment is not the equivalent to a professional baseball team versus a college team. In the world of audio, pro equipment is designed for professionals, from DJ's to rock bands, who often play their music in much larger venues.

So why did we move into the world of "pro" speakers. It all started about two months ago when a client of ours was building a very large home theater (in excess of 12,000 cubic feet). In our existing lineup of consumer level speakers, we just didn't have a speaker that we felt would properly fill this room with the dynamic impact the home owner wanted. We looked around at some consumer equipment that was easy to drive and could handle that size room. Due to a number of reasons, we ruled out Klipsch and Triad. It was then we came across a blog by Andrew Robinson, from Home Theater Magazine, discussing JBL pro speakers and Tekton Pendragon's. We contacted Tekton, but they aren't really a large enough company to do any type of distribution through local retailers like ourselves. So we took a leap of faith, guaranteed the customer they could swap out the JBL's at no charge if they didn't like them, and went ahead with seven JBL Pro 3677. The front three were put behind an acoustically transparent screen, while the four surround/rear speakers were put into wall openings covered by acoustic fabric. Believe us, these aren't pretty speakers and you don't want to look at them. We will have pictures to follow of our own showroom installation, but this customer did not want any pictures taken except for technical layout specs for themselves.

You can drive these speakers with almost anything since there efficiency is 99 db. We were tempted to hook up an ipod to them, just for stupid curiosity, but that will have to wait. But just because you CAN drive them with almost anything, doesn't mean you should. These speakers need to be calibrated, and as an Anthem dealer we recommend using ARC. However, Audyssey would probably make an excellent substitute.

Yes, our customer was extremely satisfied. We'd even go so far to say they were blown away. We were pleasantly surprised with their performance and will be updating this thread with our ARC measurements, our own review and pictures of our showroom installation. Until then, feel free to read the review Andrew Robinson's review:
http://www.andrew-robinson-online.com/review-jbl-professional-3677-screen-channel-loudspeaker/

We'd also love to see any comments from people who are using JBL Pro, or other pro level speakers.
ZeGhostbear likes this.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Congrats on having the guts to add a line that many audiophools would sneer at, mainly through ignorance, and I hope afew will try them out that may not have otherwise.

Some of us however, have been using JBL based pro gear for years, and many here, especially in the DIY speakers section use or have used them, or similar from other brands. Being more of a DIYer these days than a consumer, I have more of a fondness for the drivers than the systems, but for turnkey, they systems can be excellent.
post #3 of 60 Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I use three 4622's behind an acoustically transparent screen. They are actively bi-amped using three Crown DSi-1000's. These amps come configured with the JBL cinema pre-sets already programmed. I have also upgraded my CD's to the 4" variety with coated Ti diaphrams (2450-SL). JBL's are so easy to tweak and upgrade because of the vast knowledge and component part availability.
post #4 of 60 Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What size is your room?
post #5 of 60 Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Ordering three 3677s for my front stage next week.

OP- do you have any experience with other JBL pro products? I'm looking for input on surrounds. Either the 8330 or 8320 x 4.

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #6 of 60 Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Ordering three 3677s for my front stage next week.

OP- do you have any experience with other JBL pro products? I'm looking for input on surrounds. Either the 8330 or 8320 x 4.
Not sure if you meant 8330 or 8340, but the 8330 isn't available any longer - at least not through our distributor.

In our showroom, we installed four 8320's. They do not come with wall brackets, so don't forget to order them separately.

The 8320's are very large for a surround speaker. They don't have nearly the same sensitivity as the 3677's, so make sure you do speaker calibrations. They also don't have the same build quality of the 3677, using a cheap plastic.

We haven't completed our review yet, but the 8320's are very well suited to movie soundtracks. Once calibrated, they have a good dynamic impact, but not the same impact you'll get from the 3677's. We'd rate them highly on a value scale.

If you have the room for the 8340's, we'd rec'd going that route. They are more sensitive and have better frequency response. We did not go with them due to their additional 1.5" of depth. It may not seem like a lot, but the location of our entrance/exits, created a worry that some people may accidentally bump into them.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #7 of 60 Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalListener View Post

Not sure if you meant 8330 or 8340, but the 8330 isn't available any longer - at least not through our distributor.

In our showroom, we installed four 8320's. They do not come with wall brackets, so don't forget to order them separately.

The 8320's are very large for a surround speaker. They don't have nearly the same sensitivity as the 3677's, so make sure you do speaker calibrations. They also don't have the same build quality of the 3677, using a cheap plastic.

We haven't completed our review yet, but the 8320's are very well suited to movie soundtracks. Once calibrated, they have a good dynamic impact, but not the same impact you'll get from the 3677's. We'd rate them highly on a value scale.

If you have the room for the 8340's, we'd rec'd going that route. They are more sensitive and have better frequency response. We did not go with them due to their additional 1.5" of depth. It may not seem like a lot, but the location of our entrance/exits, created a worry that some people may accidentally bump into them.

I meant 8330. There's used set I have an option to possibly pickup. I could save some money using the 8330 s but if I'd be losing some quality I'd rather spend the coin and go 8320s.

I thought the 8320s came ready to mount flush to the wall?

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #8 of 60 Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I meant 8330. There's used set I have an option to possibly pickup. I could save some money using the 8330 s but if I'd be losing some quality I'd rather spend the coin and go 8320s.

I thought the 8320s came ready to mount flush to the wall?
Not only do the 8320's not come ready to flush mount, they do not have a flush mounting option. The wall mount can be used two ways.

1. You can mount one piece (the mount comes with two pieces) onto the wall and slide the second piece onto it. (this is the way it is supposed to be mounted)

2. This alternative method is a little bit more difficult, but gets the speaker almost flush to the wall. You don't use the piece that gets mounted on the wall, instead you mount directly from the piece that attaches to the speaker. This is a bit cumbersome to mount because the speaker terminals won't be accessible AFTER mounting. So you have to first attach the speaker wires, then mount with the plate already on the speaker. Luckily the speakers are light (11 lbs) and if careful, this can be a one man job, but it will be cumbersome to hold the speaker while drilling screws into the wall.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #9 of 60 Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Which mount gets them closest to the wall? I see the JBL QuickMount™, Omnimount® or APC Multimount brackets

Also, what is your opinion on L/C/R in wall mounting?

post #10 of 60 Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up.

Which mount gets them closest to the wall? I see the JBL QuickMount™, Omnimount® or APC Multimount brackets

Also, what is your opinion on L/C/R in wall mounting?
We haven't used any mount except the JBL, but the JBL mount is the way to go. It gets the speaker very close to the wall, but also angles them correctly for use, angling the speaker slightly down towards the listener. Not sure if the other mounts do that.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #11 of 60 Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Good info. I like the fact it gets them close to the wall.

Would you mind doing a favor for me and measuring how far from top of the 3677's cabinet to the center of the tweeter?

post #12 of 60 Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I bet a set of those JBL speakers, carefully placed, equalized through the midrange by an MRX receiver (hopefully one's not pairing fairly inexpensive and very sensitive speakers with expensive separates!), and augmented with a couple subwoofers, would make quite a spectacular theater room.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #13 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I plan to use my Pioneer receiver, unless that turns out to be an issue. I'd asked about going with a 3 channel amp for L/C/R but the response I got was start with the Pioneer, you'll likely be just fine.

Critical would mind measuring the distance between the top of the box and the middle of the tweeter?

post #14 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

I plan to use my Pioneer receiver, unless that turns out to be an issue. I'd asked about going with a 3 channel amp for L/C/R but the response I got was start with the Pioneer, you'll likely be just fine.

Unless your room is more than about 150 feet or so in any dimension, that advice is correct.

The only reason to swap gear is if you want more advanced room correction.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #15 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL.... nope.... 16x15 with L that is 12x8. Room is fully 'sealed' with the close of a door.

post #16 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Critical would mind measuring the distance between the top of the box and the middle of the tweeter?
The distance from the top of the speaker to the center of the tweeter is 6 11/16"

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #17 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The distance from the top of the speaker to the center of the tweeter is 6 11/16"

Ah man.... I can't thank you enough!

post #18 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures to give everyone an idea of the size of these speakers. Reading dimensions don't quite prepare you for their size, especially since these aren't floor standing speakers.

First the 8320's

The 8320 with a small Paradigm Cinema 70 surround speaker for size comparison

About how close you can mount the 8320 to the wall.

An idea how the 8320's look in a room

The 3677 with the same Paradigm Cinema 70 for comparison.

Because these speakers are so big, the speaker stands we sell for residential use weren't big enough. We custom made these speaker stands (yes, they're ugly, but they're solid and hidden behind an acoustically transparent screen) out of 1/2" iron pipe and MDF. For 3 stands, cost was about $100.

A close up look at the terminals on the 3677

We're still working on the review, but we should get our ARC measurements up shortly.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #19 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Here are our ARC (Anthem Room Correction) measurements.

What's important is how close the green line (corrected response) gets to the blue line (target response).

Here's a comparison to a center speaker which costs roughly twice that of the 3677, the Paradigm Studio CC690

Clearly the CC690 is a better speaker, especially with anything above 5 kHz, but frequency response isn't the end all be all, depending on your room dimensions and type of movies you're interested in. Again, our full review will follow, hopefully in about a week.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #20 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice!... Love your creative stands. How high are they? I also liked Andrews 'cinder block' stands. Both very creative.

Forgive me is this is a dumb question, but isn't it possible to smooth out the response with room treatments or ???

post #21 of 60 Old 06-14-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice!... Love your creative stands. How high are they? I also liked Andrews 'cinder block' stands. Both very creative.
Our stands are slightly higher than most people will need (27" high), because our showroom has the second row up on a riser. Because high frequencies are far more direct, we wanted to get that tweeter to just over 50" off the floor. Cinder blocks would probably be the perfect height for one row seating environments.
Quote:

Forgive me is this is a dumb question, but isn't it possible to smooth out the response with room treatments or ???
Our showroom is treated with diffusers, bass absorbers, and acoustic fabric along all the walls. Unfortunately some speakers just aren't capable of certain frequencies, and even if they are, boosting output to one frequency often effects others. We find ARC to be one of the best, if not the best, calibration software, but these JBL's just don't have the capability of going much above 10 kHz.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, its more of a trade off in this price range. In return you get dynamic impact and a speaker that can be driven with probably ANY A/V receiver sold today.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #22 of 60 Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Our stands are slightly higher than most people will need (27" high), because our showroom has the second row up on a riser. Because high frequencies are far more direct, we wanted to get that tweeter to just over 50" off the floor. Cinder blocks would probably be the perfect height for one row seating environments.
Our showroom is treated with diffusers, bass absorbers, and acoustic fabric along all the walls. Unfortunately some speakers just aren't capable of certain frequencies, and even if they are, boosting output to one frequency often effects others. We find ARC to be one of the best, if not the best, calibration software, but these JBL's just don't have the capability of going much above 10 kHz.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, its more of a trade off in this price range. In return you get dynamic impact and a speaker that can be driven with probably ANY A/V receiver sold today.

Good info! And I'm glad I haven't heard the better speakers to know what I'm missing with the JBL 3677s. They can't be that bad as cinemas use them.

I just ordered my 3677's today, along with 4 8320s and the mounts you showed. I will end with my speakers upside down on a ledge behind an AT screen, putting tweeter height at just about 52". I'm only sitting 10 feet away. I discussed this with JBL Pro tech support and they said upside down at that height should work great. As long as the tweeter is not firing down into a hard surface, so I will overhang the L/C/R just over the edge of the ledge.

I've read these speakers sound best with the tweeter slightly above or below the ear. I'm hoping the 52" high won't be too much. I figure my ear will be 43-45 inches when seated. If necessary I can always raise the chairs.

So it looks like you guys are going to be selling these out of a store front. That's awesome. I would have loved to demo these first. Lucky customers you have.

post #23 of 60 Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Being in the custom installation business, we constantly run into one new issue after another. These are almost exclusively issues on the installation side: plaster walls, old log cabins with solid exterior walls, mice, interference from the transmission plant across the street, etc. But we never met a home installation problem where deciding on the equipment was the issue. We sell equipment from the most basic to the exotic and fitting a product at or below a customer’s price point was never an issue, until recently.
Our customer had a limited budget and a BIG room. No big deal, we sell Paradigm Monitors, or so we thought until we saw the room – an old church rectory to be used for home theater next to the pastor’s home. This wasn’t a home theater, so we recommended some quality commercial installers. But our customer insisted he’d talked to some and they didn’t know home theater, even if they sold consumer products as well. He wanted an acoustically designed theater, with a sub $15,000 budget.
No speaker in our product line could fill this room on this budget, leaving enough for acoustic treatments and every other component, plus installation costs. So we decided to check out the world of high efficiency, large room speakers. The closest we came in the world of consumer speakers were JBL and Klipsch, but for various reasons we eliminated both as options that would really blow away a listener in a room this size. So we turned our attention to commercial speakers and in the sub $1,000/speaker range we ran across the JBL 3677 (small thanks to Andrew Robinson’s recent review on his blog [see first post for link]).
Taking a hard look at the specs, you will see they are NOT rated above 15 kHz and being big music fans this had us concerned. But this customer wasn’t interested in music, except dance music for parties, and was planning on spending most of his time watching movies. The other issue with these speakers is they are ugly, and nothing anyone would want to look at and must be hidden. An acoustically transparent screen is a great way of hiding the three front speakers, but what about the surrounds? Luckily a large column with its front covered in speaker cloth and a built in shelf was within budget to hide the surrounds. It also worked nicely to break up the long flat walls.
With a low cost Yamaha RX-V673 in place, a sub $100 Sony BluRay player, Epson 6020 and 130” Seymour AT screen, wires, carpentry and installation, we had a simple home theater completed well under the customer’s budget.
The 3677’s do not have binding posts, just simple screws to lock in the speaker wire (see pictures in post #18). These are heavy speakers, but not floorstanders, so you will need to make speaker stands (there is nothing commercially available) to withstand their weight.

SOUND
All our listening tests were done in our own showroom, which is significantly smaller than the installation we described above, but probably a LOT closer to the average AVS user thinking of installing these in their home. Our showroom is 16 w x 23 l x 10.5 h (average height), for a little under 4,000 cu ft. All tests were done AFTER we calibrated the speakers using ARC (see post #19 for ARC graph). Also, our surround speakers were the JBL Pro 8320’s, not the 3677’s used in the installation (absolutely no room for 3677’s as surround speakers in our showroom).
This review is not going to be a detailed magazine review, which talk about every album they listened to with specifics about how the speakers made them feel. We will say, listening to jazz, classical, rock and country, the JBL’s are good speakers. They did the music justice, but compared to Paradigm Studio 100’s, they do not have the incredibly smooth midrange or sweet highs. At less than ½ the price we didn’t expect them to, nor will some of you care, because when it came to action movies, these speakers have a dynamic impact that will put you into the back of your seat. Their high efficiency make them so easy to drive that our Anthem amp that never got past warm powering Studio 100’s, didn’t go past cool driving these JBL’s. We’d go so far to say that ANY A/V receiver sold today can drive these speakers to ear bleed level in any home theater. That’s a big savings that can be used for anything else you may need, especially acoustical treatments which are so badly needed in rooms with only hard wood floors and drywall walls.
What these speakers are NOT good for – a completely untreated room. They have very wide dispersion and an untreated room will bounce this sound all around.

CONCLUSION
Remarkably little above 15 kHz is in music recordings and even less in movie soundtracks, but these aren’t speakers for critical listening. They are for fun, dynamic movies that can be purchased at under $900 each that fill a need for larger home theaters without breaking a small budget. If you want to feel like you’re in the middle of the fight during an action movie, these speakers will fill that need with aplomb. Highly recommended.
ZeGhostbear likes this.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #24 of 60 Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Liked: 15
nice review.

what are the differencies with jbl 3678?
post #25 of 60 Old 06-29-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana View Post

nice review.

what are the differencies with jbl 3678?
We haven't heard the 3678. Purely from specs, it can handle a larger room.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #26 of 60 Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Liked: 15
My space is 16' x 26' x 10'

Do you think that 3 x 3677 (L / C / R) will be enough for my HT ?
post #27 of 60 Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

They have very wide dispersion
Rubbish. They have a directivity from about 1kHz that narrows to roughly 90* horizontally and 40*, markedly narrower than the typical small cone/dome speakers such as the Paradigms which typically radiate half space, 180* horizontally through their passband.
post #28 of 60 Old 06-30-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Rubbish. They have a directivity from about 1kHz that narrows to roughly 90* horizontally and 40*, markedly narrower than the typical small cone/dome speakers such as the Paradigms which typically radiate half space, 180* horizontally through their passband.

Yep and that is what makes speakers like these a good choice. The controlled directivity helps keep less sound from hitting the side walls, when properly toed in. You said you eliminated Klipsch, because you had a large volume to fill. Well Klipsch Heritage line has a lot of output, can provide the dynamics for HT and does an excellent job with music. Also volume does not have anything to do with speaker selection. Volume has to do with subwoofer selection. With the larger wave lengths from subs, you have to factor in the volume that you have to fill, yet in the article, you do not mention subs at all. Listening distance and required SPL is what you factor for speaker selection. I have nothing against pro audio speakers. I have been using pro audio drivers in my speakers for several years. My current system uses AE Speakers TD12M's and for surrounds, I use JBL 8340's. The older 8340, the ones that use a wood cabinet, rather than a plastic cabinet.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #29 of 60 Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana View Post

My space is 16' x 26' x 10'

Do you think that 3 x 3677 (L / C / R) will be enough for my HT ?
More than enough.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #30 of 60 Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You said you eliminated Klipsch, because you had a large volume to fill. Well Klipsch Heritage line has a lot of output, can provide the dynamics for HT and does an excellent job with music
That's not quite correct - we eliminated Klipsch for a various reasons, volume AT the customers price point being only one. Another being price. The Heresy III was the only one in the customers price range and it can not come close to the 3677 in volume capability for the room they were being installed.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl , Jbl Harman Kardon

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page