$1000.00 budget 5.1/7.1 speakers + sub for 50/50 music/movies in a 20x20 (apartment) living room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

It's time to upgrade and I would really appreciate some knowledgeable real-world advice. I'm not looking to blast these and rattle the walls because I am a good neighbor smile.gif .

I do an equal amount of day (uncompressed audio) and night (compressed audio) so I need something that sounds good at both low and mid volume levels for both movies and music.

This budget is flexible by no more than $200 and includes 5 (upgradeable to 7) surround + sub.

Denon 1913
Samsung 55 3D TV
Samsung BD-F5900

In order of preference
1. small 'lifestyle" minimalist wall hangers
2. small speakers on stands
3. ? unknown choices/options
4. medium speakers wall/stands
5. "full size" floor speakers

Mix and match o.k. I am not loyal to any brand
Music kind - all.
movie kind - all.

So, any kind souls willing to offer advice? You will have my undying gratitude*

*Gratitude subject to terms and conditions and based on buyers remorse after purchase and finding the exact same speakers on sale for $20 less somewhere else...etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 147
So you already have a receiver (denon 1913)? I am assuming so, then 1000 dollars is for 5.1

With speakers, smaller speakers means smaller sound and not likely to be close to full range! that said, a good set of bookshelf speakers with a good sub will make for a very good system.

Okay, let assume, based on what you say, that you want book shelf speakers The Ascend Acout 170s/340 center would give you a very good front stage, but that 3.0 combo will set you back about 600 dollars. If you can still get one, get a Klipsch rw-12 sub for 279 with shipping from New Egg. Then try to find a decent pair of bookshelves for the surrounds for around 100/pr- like the Pioneer SP-BS22? Anyway, just one of many possible speaker combos in your price range!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

So you already have a receiver (denon 1913)? I am assuming so, then 1000 dollars is for 5.1

With speakers, smaller speakers means smaller sound and not likely to be close to full range! that said, a good set of bookshelf speakers with a good sub will make for a very good system.

Okay, let assume, based on what you say, that you want book shelf speakers The Ascend Acout 170s/340 center would give you a very good front stage, but that 3.0 combo will set you back about 600 dollars. If you can still get one, get a Klipsch rw-12 sub for 279 with shipping from New Egg. Then try to find a decent pair of bookshelves for the surrounds for around 100/pr- like the Pioneer SP-BS22? Anyway, just one of many possible speaker combos in your price range!

I like the Ascend as well for a choose, and I want to through out the EMP tek Cinema 7 Compact Home Theater System for 800.00 and that is a 7.1 system with a 30 day return guarantee if you don't enjoy the speakers, I think a lot of ID companies will do that as well so just an idea for you to find some thing that you enjoy if your willing to give it the time.

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If you're handy and like building things, then I highly suggest looking up Bill Fitzmaurice's plans for the THT/Tuba HT and SLA speakers. You're AVR will drive them without problems and you'll be amazed by the sound quality. The Tuba HT costs about $500 for lumber and parts. I'm not sure about the cost of each SLA, but they might come in over a little bit more than $100 per speaker.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 16
Another good option: http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/

A new upstart company. Speaker design work done by Dave Fabrikant of Ascend Acoustics. I am seriously thinking of picking up a pair. The build quality from the pics looks superb for the price.

You could mix it with a variety of budget subs.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Look in the AVS Classifieds first. There are some great deals to be had in there. I always take a peek before I buy anything.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
^ +1. Those Ba vs are very nice
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page