HSU HB-1 Mk2 and HC-1 Mk2 ... others in price range? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 96
About to pull the trigger on HSU 3.0 Speaker package ....

Goal is HT setup for mostly movies. Will listen to music, but not critical at all. If I like the sound I will get a set of HB-1's for surrounds.

I have no sub, but after discretionary money is saved up again will probably look at a PSA XV15 or Outlaw lfm-1 ex, would really the the VTF-15H, but prefer the better price on the XV15 (that discussion is for another thread when money allows).

I have been reading the threads, but I live in an audio wasteland. All I have been able to audition is typical Big Box speakers and some Paradigms.

Before I finally drop some coin is there other comparable 3.0 setups around this price which will give the a similar sound stage and "home theater" presence? I will be driving them with a Denon 1713. I don't want to go with separates.

I looked at Wharefdales, actually was in the order process, but it seems to get the best from them it you wanted to go with a separate amp with higher power, they were not as sensitive at the HB-1's, they also seem more geared to hi-fi than loud HT use so I canceled my order.

Ascend 170's get good reviews, but people don't talk about their dynamic range as much, they seem like very well rounded speakers, but not for the space and power I have. The 340's would be better but they are more then I want to spend.

I have heard Polk's and they just don't trip my trigger, for whatever reason.

Aside from the above mentioned am I missing something critical before I order?

Also, HSU has been very responsive to emailed questions. +1 for customer service!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would go with the HSU speakers in their price range as I really like my BIC FH6-LCR and think of it as a sort of "poor man's" version.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. I've read Dr. Hsu consulted on the design of the BIC FH6 so I expect they may sound similiar.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 451
There are a lot of good speakers in their price range, but I know you have been eyeing them for awhile, so I would just place the order. They have their strengths, and it looks like they are right for you. If they aren't, you can send them back for a full refund. I would get busy enjoying movies and music. Don't be afraid to crank them!
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well the deed is done .... now I just have to wait!

AVS has been really bad for my discretionary money. You guys are like addicts who like to give a guy his first hit..
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 451
When you get them, try different things to get the best sound, like different stand off distances, toe-in angles, and placements. It can make a difference.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page