Speakers for a small apartment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, another one of those threads. But my budget is a little more realistic than those of others who have asked (at least the first ones I saw when I Googled.)
I have a beautiful 55" HDTV but I'm just not going to have room for big speakers in my new place. Right now, I have some entry-level Klipsch floor speakers, but I need something smaller. I definitely only want two speakers, and I really don't think I want a subwoofer both due to concern about my new neighbors and lack of space, but I could be swayed if you all think it's necessary...I also have a receiver. I'm not attached to it.
SO. I'm looking for a new setup, preferably for under $800, but I can go a bit higher. I am a gamer, movie watcher, and music lover, but space and ease of setup are important. I know little to nothing about audio, so if you could break it down to me, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Based on many positive reviews from listeners and buyers on this forum, I just received a pair of Ascend CMT-340 SE that I will be using for music only. I'm very impressed with the sound quality for the price, particularly the amount of clean, tight bass they produce. They are mini towers, providing some flexibility in tabletop or stand placement, and quite narrow. With the stands also provided by Ascend they can easily become floorstanding speakers. They're not the most beautiful speakers I've ever seen but great performers and within your price range, with a nice sale going on now.

It might be good to give a reference as to "smaller", since we don't know which Klipsch you own. Typically the smaller you get the less bass output, so you are certainly straddling the need for a subwoofer. If you go for smaller bookshelf speakers on stands there are internet direct companies with small, low profile subs but the size of a subwoofer should fit the room rather than dimensions of your floor space.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The speakers I have are the Klipsch Synergy F-1s and they're 36"x8"x13.5". I'd ideally like to cut the height in half--I'm moving into a tiny Manhattan apartment, and I'm probably going to have my TV mounted on the wall and then some sort of shelving built around it for books and my speakers.
The CMT-340 SEs look pretty good. I still would prefer something even a little bit smaller though, but if you think that's as small as I can go without cutting into my bass output, maybe they're a good option.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has a positive opinion on soundbars here. From what I've heard so far, they're never going to compare to even mediocre speakers.
So any more comments/suggestions are much appreciated!
post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
since you are in nyc have you already been to stereo exchange?stereoexchange.com/‎ 627 Broadway New York, NY 10012 They have a big selection. maybe they have something that you want. bright home theater is smaller, but they do have some bookshelf speakers. i saw a pair of wharfedale bookshelf speakers at the store and I think vienna accoustics and dynaudio. the workers at bright seemed nice and knowledgable. they are located at 202 Avenue A New York, NY 10009. www.brighthometheater.com/‎ are you looking for a certain brand? another guy in manhattan that I have been to has monitor audio psb martin logan bookshelf speakers. his store is 55 W 45th St New York, NY 10036 www.jandvaudio.com/‎ they are cool also. don't get confused if you see a barber shop. it is the same building. take the elevator upstairs. don't forget the best buy magnolia store near times square also. maybe they have something that you will like. they have mirage and other nice stuff b&w etc. the stereo part is located downstairs. http://stores.bestbuy.com/1028/
Best Buy - Midtown Manhattan (44th and 5th)
Reply Speakers