Match Speaker with Amplification - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi, new to the Magnepan forum, actually posted this under speakers forum by mistake. Looking for Maggies to use for 2 channel TV audio and Music (via Sonos).
I currently have no equipment or speakers. Used to have 1.3a's matched to Krell KSA75. Got out of high end years ago, and nowwas thinking of just buying some inexpensive bookshelfs, but made the mistake of going to a Maggie dealer. Unfortunately, I listened to the 1.7, probably overkill for my use-sounded great with the Electrocompaniet amp it was hooked to, but when we switched to an $800 Yamaha Aventage, turned bad. This is why I was afraid to auditionthe Maggies, knew I'd need gobs of current, which most receivers don't have. By the way the room is about 19 wide by about 16, and open to 2nd story, plus the back is open to the kitchen/dining area. So, my questions are these: I believe there is one model between the 1.7 and MMG- I am assuming that the whole line is still about 4 ohm load and all need that current. So, how do the other 2 speakers sound in comparison to the 1.7's, am I just giving up bottom end or also something on the top?
Secondly, is anybody getting good sound using an integrated that might be found for $800 or less.
And lastly, what would be your recs for speaker model and amplification, given my room size and layout.
Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Their web site at www.magenpan.com shows their line. MMG -> MG-12 -> MG-1.7. The MMG and MG-12 are both two-way systems using QR tweeters and the 1.7 is a three-way system. I think the MMG uses the previous generation planer-dynamic panel for the lows, while the 12 and 1.7 use QR technology throughout. The 3.7 replaces the QR tweeter with a true ribbon tweeter (and is larger, natch). Bass extends down as you go up in panel size, but really any Maggie system needs a good sub (with the possible exception of the 20's, and I would use one even with them). I think the 1.7's would be good in that room.

I would have expected the Yamaha to do OK, but there are many variables (potentially including a dealer biased to sell a much higher-priced amp with greater profit margin). I have a Pioneer AVR that runs them just fine, but I have a stack of Emotiva amplifiers (purchased when my previous AVR fared less well on other speakers even before I brought out my Maggies from storage). For 2 ch and if you only need a basic integrated amp, look at places like Audio Advisor (I would ignore the cable hyperbole and just look at the different integrated models), pick up some audio magazines, and check out online dealers like Emotiva (sale on now) , Outlaw, etc. An Emotiva preamp and 150 W/ch amp can be had for around $800 for both on sale (USP-1 and XPA-200). There are lots of options, about the number of people who post plus one.

HTH - Don

p.s. You might want to edit the title to better reflect your question about amplifying Maggies...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I second Don's recommendation on looking into Emotiva's summer sale. I much prefer my Maggies with lots of power and current. Focus on the 4 ohm ratings.

My 3a's sound kind of sick with a receiver ( the panels actually make a vibrating sound), and even non audiophiles think they sound just mediocre with my moderately powered tube gear. With a high current amp they make magic, and several direct manufacturers are making inexpensive and high quality power amps.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Throwing another option out there, check out Crown XLS Drivecore series amps. Depending on power requirements they are easily less than half the cost of Emotiva and about 1/7 the weight.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page