Speaker location for surround speakers and hiding wires - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 7.1 setup. I am moving into a new place and trying to figure out the best placement of the speakers. All speakers are regular speakers not in-wall speakers. I don't want to buy new speakers.

The front and center speakers will be in front on stands.

The rear (6 and 7) speakers will have to be mounted on the ceiling behind the couch. Ideally I would put them on stands behind me but there is no wall and i cant leave them in the middle of the room. They will be mounted on the ceiling in the rear and pointed at the couch. I don't think there is any way around this with the room shape.

For the side speakers (4 and 5) I have a few options. The first option would be to put them on stand directly to the left and right of the couch. This would probably sound the best but getting wires to them would be an issue. The couch is in the middle of the room. I don't really want to drill holes in the hardwood. I could try to put them under an area rug in front of the couch. Do you think this will damage the wires if they are stepped on a lot and will having the wires under the rug be noticeable visually or when the rug is walked on? The second option is to mount them on the ceiling to the left and right of the couch and point them at the couch. I can easily bring the wires in from the attic. I know mounting on the ceiling is not ideal. The third option is to put them on stands at the walls to the left and right. putting the wires in the wall not not be hard here. The problem with this is the room is 16 feet wide and I don't know if that is too far away. The walls are 8 feet on each side from the center of the couch. What do you think is best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-09-2013, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can you run the cable along the ceiling and drop it down to the speaker from there?

As far as running the cable under the carpet, I did this with my Turtle Beach X12's. I ended up putting some nice black shelf paper (really a rubberized mat to cut to size and line a shelf with) over the wire. This seems to have worked so far to protect it..
post #3 of 3 Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
You can buy flat wire for your side surround runs. That wire is made to run under carpets, rugs, baseboards.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page