NEED ADVICE FOR HOME THEATER WALL SPEAKERS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be building a 24' x 14' x 9' home theater in my new construction home. It will have a projector and 110" fixed screen non transparent. This means I want to buy the following speakers; L/C/R, 2 rear and 2 side, 2 subwoofers, all in-the-wall. This will be a change from my present system which will be placed in the basement great room; Def Tech BP 2002tl L/R, C 2002, and 4 BPX. They're driven by a Denon AVR-3808CI. Have a Rel T-series for addition bass.

I know very little about in wall speakers, but I'm very open to recommendation. I test drove countless speakers both for music and DVD sound before deciding on the Def Techs. I do not know a budget yet, but the Def Techs were not cheap 8-10 years ago! Please, recommendation!!!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why not use an AT screen? I'd be hesitant to use an in-wall center speaker, as it can't be tilted up towards ear level and must be able to fit between 16" OC studs, necessitating vertical orientation. Either the speaker will end up near the ground, or the screen will have to be placed too high. Will your walls allow 6" deep speakers, or do you need 4" deep speakers?

You have the room depth to do a false wall with an AT screen and regular LCR speakers and subs hidden behind the false wall. Check out the dedicated theater subforum, people's build threads, etc. For a dedicated room I'd want to leave budgetary space for acoustic treatments, even at the expense of a lower speaker budget.

For what it's worth, I like Triad in-wall speakers a lot, and I use their in-ceiling Bronze LCRs for a living room surround setup. They are awesome products at their price point. In your setting (if you could use and AT screen) I'd go with Triad Silver/4 In-wall LCRs and Bronze/4 In-wall Surrounds. I'd buy the subs elsewhere to get more bang for the buck. If you have more budgetary room and 6" wall depth, you could go with Gold/6 LCRs and Silver or Gold surrounds.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by udtsealeod View Post

I will be building a 24' x 14' x 9' home theater in my new construction home. It will have a projector and 110" fixed screen non transparent. This means I want to buy the following speakers; L/C/R, 2 rear and 2 side, 2 subwoofers, all in-the-wall. This will be a change from my present system which will be placed in the basement great room; Def Tech BP 2002tl L/R, C 2002, and 4 BPX. They're driven by a Denon AVR-3808CI. Have a Rel T-series for addition bass.

I know very little about in wall speakers, but I'm very open to recommendation. I test drove countless speakers both for music and DVD sound before deciding on the Def Techs. I do not know a budget yet, but the Def Techs were not cheap 8-10 years ago! Please, recommendation!!!

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a draft of the theater room:

Here is a draft of the front wall:

The speakers will be set into an 18" stage, the screen setback against the 2 x 6 wall. If I use a AT screen, there is not enough room to the first view not to see the holes.

I do not have sound proofing issues, it's the 3rd stall of the garage and all bedrooms are at the other end of the ranch main. No 2nd story, only basement.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page