Need advice: converting from stereo system to surround sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I currently have a nice stereo setup with two Polk monitor 70's powered by a HK 3490 stereo receiver. I'm in the process of looking for an AV receiver that supports 3d (have Panasonic 3D Plasma and Blu-Ray player).

I want to enhance my current setup to enable surround sound for watching Blu-ray movies. I have ordered a Polk CS2 center speaker but am unsure about what speakers to get for the rear surrounds. Also do I really need to get a sub? I've read that the Monitor 70's have plenty of bass and a sub wouldn't be that helpful. So would a 5.0 setup be fine?

Also how powerful of an AV receiver do I need to drive the Monitor 70's well?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

TV: Panasonic TC-46PGT24 | Blu-ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT110 (wired) | Receiver: HK 3490 | Fronts: 2x Polk Monitor 70's | Roku 3 (wired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 845
The surrounds are intended more to the sides than rear FWIW. Now if you really want to take advantage of BluRays then a 7ch setup is "needed", both surrounds and rear surrounds (or front heights/wides depending on the 7 ch flavor you want)...but you can use fairly small speakers and not necessarily timbre matched to the fronts. Not a Polkie so couldn't recommend anything within that brand.

Do you really need a sub? Of course you do. You may not know it yet though. smile.gif You may even need two or more depending on your room to do it well. IMHO those monitor 70s don't even have very good bass (lower -3dB range is only at 40Hz). If you're in an apartment or don't really care then 5.0 may suffice for you (ps but you will not get the full benefit of the .1 soundtrack portion).

Your current speakers are relatively sensitive (90dB per Polk but without specification) so avr's putting out approx 100w/ch, as most of them do, will be fine unless you really push your spl to the max and want as much headroom as possible then I'd look for an avr with pre-outs and look for a separate amp for the fronts (or to at least give you the option down the line).

post #3 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 181
The matching surrounds would be in the Monitor-Series from Polk. Those will depend on your budget, so will the AVR you get.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The surrounds are intended more to the sides than rear FWIW. Now if you really want to take advantage of BluRays then a 7ch setup is "needed", both surrounds and rear surrounds (or front heights/wides depending on the 7 ch flavor you want)...but you can use fairly small speakers and not necessarily timbre matched to the fronts. Not a Polkie so couldn't recommend anything within that brand.

Do you really need a sub? Of course you do. You may not know it yet though. smile.gif You may even need two or more depending on your room to do it well. IMHO those monitor 70s don't even have very good bass (lower -3dB range is only at 40Hz). If you're in an apartment or don't really care then 5.0 may suffice for you.

Your current speakers are relatively sensitive (90dB per Polk but without specification) so avr's putting out approx 100w/ch, as most of them do, will be fine unless you really push your spl to the max and want as much headroom as possible then I'd look for an avr with pre-outs and look for a separate amp for the fronts (or to at least give you the option down the line).

That's definitely not true. 7 channel is only really "needed" if you have a large multi row seating arrangement. A pair of well placed surrounds performs perfectly fine for most people.

Monitor 30s would be the matched surround for your 70s, but you may be able to get by with some OWM3s. You can try no sub, but movies have tons of heavy bass at, and even below 20hz. You will be missing a lot of the wow factor, and there is the possibility of damaging your speakers by sending a high level signal below the speakers bass tuning point.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Do you really need a sub? Of course you do. You may not know it yet though. smile.gif You may even need two or more depending on your room to do it well. IMHO those monitor 70s don't even have very good bass (lower -3dB range is only at 40Hz). If you're in an apartment or don't really care then 5.0 may suffice for you.

That's definitely not true. 7 channel is only really "needed" if you have a large multi row seating arrangement. A pair of well placed surrounds performs perfectly fine for most people.

Monitor 30s would be the matched surround for your 70s, but you may be able to get by with some OWM3s. You can try no sub, but movies have tons of heavy bass at, and even below 20hz. You will be missing a lot of the wow factor, and there is the possibility of damaging your speakers by sending a high level signal below the speakers bass tuning point.

D'oh that's why there were quotes around needed....however some blurays have soundtracks mixed for 7ch playback and it can be nice. Better than 5 ch in my living room at least.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page