Speaker Placement with Fireplace - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Attached are the blueprints for my new Great Room. I am looking to put a 60" TV over the fireplace. As you will see, there is little to no room for dedicated front speakers (unless someone can explain to me where). I was thinking of doing a sound bar (recommendations welcome ) with matching speakers for rears and surrounds. Can someone help me on this or help me with a different speaker layout/design?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Before I get into speakers, the question I always have, is the FP going to be used?? External heat sources as from a FP never does electronics any good! To say most likely placing the screen too high for pleasurable viewing.

If it were me, I would place the screen, LCRs at the opposite end. With more than 8'-4" between those windows, that leaves enough room to place the L/R mains properly.

As for sound bar, I would look at the Revel LCR 8 or the HK SB30. You don't give a price range you want to spend.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
You could maybe get away with something in the corners, or flanking the hearth, but that would infringe on the windows a bit. I tend to agree with the other poster, put everything on the opposite wall. Yah, having a big tv above the fireplace looks cool, but it's a horrible place for a tv.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-12-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

It will be used but not all the time. My wife wants the fireplace a the focal point in the room. It is all stone with a stone mantle. I think the couch will be about 14' away from the screen so if I titled it i don't think it will be too bad.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 AM

Liked: 12
Since your situation is already compromised and aesthetics are important to your wife, just do a TV and slim LCR soundbar if you need to place the TV over the fireplace. There are many nice options, I like Triad.

My wife and I built our home a few years ago, and I made sure I had input in the design of the great room. I don't know why American home builders insist on forcing fireplaces as a focal point down our throats. It's an unneccesary decorative fixed bulky piece of furniture, and we have to completely work around it in what is typically the most used room in the house. Our builder as well as the interior design people looked at me like I was crazy when I told them to move the fireplace to a different wall, as we started with a similar layout to yours. In the end we put a 70" TV on a nice custom media stand on the preferred wall, and did a direct vent fireplace on an interior wall shared with the garage. We got an L-shaped sofa such that we can sit on one side to watch TV, and the other side to just hang out by the fireplace and have a drink/coffee. Like I told the designer, I watch fireplace once a year at Christmas, and I watch TV every day.

I bring this up because you have 16' of room width. Why not put the TV and speakers of your choice on the long wall? In addition to better options for display and speaker placement, you can see the TV from the adjoining room.

You may not think you're going to use this room much, but that could change as you settle in. We have a dedicated theater room with soundproofing, acoustical treatments, the whole bit, but still spend vastly more time in our great room which is open to the kitchen and rest of the main floor.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post

Since your situation is already compromised and aesthetics are important to your wife, just do a TV and slim LCR soundbar if you need to place the TV over the fireplace.
+1. Do a Man Cave in the basement, where you don't have to compromise sight and sound quality.
Quote:
I don't know why American home builders insist on forcing fireplaces as a focal point down our throats.
I don't know why anyone would have one at all, they're certainly not useful as an efficient source of heat, ask anyone who lives in a cabin with only a fireplace. If you want a backup heat source in case of emergency use a wood stove.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-12-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

I have convinced her to move the tv to the long wall!!

Now that leaves me with trying to figure out where to place speakers for a 7.1 system. May have to stick with 5.1
post #8 of 10 Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What do you have in mind? Floorstanders, bookshelfs, in-wall, ceiling?
post #9 of 10 Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Bookshelves. I thought about in wall for behind the couch (by the 6' opening into the kitchen) but not sure. I am open to any suggestion. Just starting my research phase now. Was looking at B&W, HK, klipsch, revel. Any other suggestions? Also where would you place them on the blueprints above?
post #10 of 10 Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzaba View Post

Bookshelves. I thought about in wall for behind the couch (by the 6' opening into the kitchen) but not sure. I am open to any suggestion. Just starting my research phase now. Was looking at B&W, HK, klipsch, revel. Any other suggestions? Also where would you place them on the blueprints above?
And not having the screen over the FP will greatly improve the system, ease of setup.
On-wall speakers (which are bookshelf size) are another option for all speakers if you don't want floorstanding mains.
I would add JBL Studio L series to your search. For an all on-wall system you would have 4 L820, LC2 center, plus sub(s).
Or even 5 LC2. I've known people to do that.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page