In wall speakers affect resale? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Building a new home, planning on putting some monoprice in wall speakers around the TV (l,r,center), and 2 in ceiling speakers for a 5.1 system in my family room. The ceiling speakers are pretty well hidden, and I don't think people care too much about in ceiling speakers. I just a little worried about resale and if the in wall speakers will turn people off if I have to sell the house. The reason I want in wall speakers is because I have young kids (as many on this forum have I'm sure) and they have basically destroyed any freestanding, bookshelf units I've had in the past. Any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
My friend has kids, and his wife, who is in real estate, vetoed in-wall or in-ceiling speakers because most buyers are turned off by them and don't want them there.

He put wood shelves on the walls to place his speakers on, mounted by using metal L-brackets screwed into the wall behind the speaker location.

He just used two large 3-inch long screws into two studs to mount the brackets, and the speakers sit on the shelves (and hide the hardware).

He can just remove the screws and patch the two holes easily if he ever is going to sell the house; much better than cutting large holes.

It also let him get some better speakers than the in-wall crap.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

My friend has kids, and his wife, who is in real estate, vetoed in-wall or in-ceiling speakers because most buyers are turned off by them and don't want them there.

He put wood shelves on the walls to place his speakers on, mounted by using metal L-brackets screwed into the wall behind the speaker location.

He just used two large 3-inch long screws into two studs to mount the brackets, and the speakers sit on the shelves (and hide the hardware).

He can just remove the screws and patch the two holes easily if he ever is going to sell the house; much better than cutting large holes.

It also let him get some better speakers than the in-wall crap.

Not all in-wall speakers are crap. The better in-walls are not cheap. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisha View Post

Building a new home, planning on putting some monoprice in wall speakers around the TV (l,r,center), and 2 in ceiling speakers for a 5.1 system in my family room. The ceiling speakers are pretty well hidden, and I don't think people care too much about in ceiling speakers. I just a little worried about resale and if the in wall speakers will turn people off if I have to sell the house. The reason I want in wall speakers is because I have young kids (as many on this forum have I'm sure) and they have basically destroyed any freestanding, bookshelf units I've had in the past. Any thoughts??

I knew a guy that bought a house and was thrilled that there were in-wall speakers already there for him to use. You will find buyers who don't like them. You will also find buyers who do like them.

If it comes down to it when it's time to sell you can always take out the speakers and patch it up with some sheetrock. With young kids you'll likely have to paint before the house goes on the market anyway.

But my two cents based on owning several homes over the years is this: You are just now building this home and statistically you will be in the home 5-7 years. Don't worry so much about the next buyer right now. Get what you want and enjoy it while you are there. You can patch walls, repaint in neutral colors and reduce the furniture clutter in preparation for selling later. For now and the foreseeable future it's your house and you get to live in it. Make it a home where you and your family can enjoy spending time with each other.
iamjason likes this.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the great comments. I'm going to just do it, why not.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisha View Post

I don't think it will make any difference for resale.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
we are having prewires in our fam room for in walls - and will have ceilings for the HT - the ht will have paradigms and the fam room just prewires that are hidden behind the wall until needed - i like the idea as the fam room is 2 stores and has the kitchen behind it so in wall and ceiling made sense to ensure we had a less cluttered space but still providing nicer sound.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

we are having prewires in our fam room for in walls - and will have ceilings for the HT - the ht will have paradigms and the fam room just prewires that are hidden behind the wall until needed - i like the idea as the fam room is 2 stores and has the kitchen behind it so in wall and ceiling made sense to ensure we had a less cluttered space but still providing nicer sound.

I have two neighbors that use Paradigm inwalls and they sound good. One of the neighbors has inwall in theater and onwall in living. His outdoor theater he uses Paradigm rock speakers.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page