satellites or floor standing for home theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 104 Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Arnold, if I was still in Michigan I think I'd have you negotiate with the the ht people. smile.gif

I am bringing the speakers home. My AVR (Pioneer 61) does have MCACC but I planned on setting that up once I settled on speakers. I'm testing with just the right, left and sub...my thinking is that whichever sounds best will obviously sound even better once tuned and with the matching speakers. AVR set to stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 06-28-2013, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The way you're doing this is not exactly ideal, but not far off from the way I selected my speakers. I don't know how long you are keeping these speakers but I would go ahead and order the sub at very least and the matching center channel if you can swing it. Then run MCACC with the 3.1 setup and make your rough assessment. It will be extremely difficult to do a real side by side test but you can get a fair idea at least of which speaker you prefer. Again, at very least you should have either the matching center speaker or the sub you plan on keeping(preferrably both). Once you change out that sub you might completely change your mind on which set you prefer. The way the center channel presents the dialogue will go a long way in making your decision as well.
post #93 of 104 Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

I'll grab the Klipsch center today from Fry's. The HT shop is letting me borrow a pair of the Paradigm's, I'll ask for the center too.

I'll test them all out Saturday night. Excited to make a final decision.

Then on to the projector. (BenQ W7000 VS. Sony 50ES...I know interesting matchup)
post #94 of 104 Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Without the sub the Paradigm package is now $1203 ($1006 if I also buy the Sony 50es projector).

They also offered me the Paradigm DSP-3100 for $519 (open box full warranty)...that looks like a nice sub and I like the idea of having them all match (I know they don't have to).
post #95 of 104 Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 PM

the specs on the paradigm sub don't come close to the specs on the HSU and SVS that were recommended. Only subs from them I'd consider are the SUB1 and SUB2 but they're waaaaay out of the price range.

don't get hung up on matching badges and logos on your stuff. you won't notice with the lights off when everything sounds fantastic.
post #96 of 104 Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm86wvu View Post

the specs on the paradigm sub don't come close to the specs on the HSU and SVS that were recommended. Only subs from them I'd consider are the SUB1 and SUB2 but they're waaaaay out of the price range.

don't get hung up on matching badges and logos on your stuff. you won't notice with the lights off when everything sounds fantastic.

I'm more hung up on Paradigm and Klipsh's long reputation, I've never heard of SVS or HSU until digging into the AVS Forum. Now, their enthusiastic fans are very convincing and that helps, but still cautious.

Honestly, I was impressed by the double port on that Paradigm (and no, I have no idea if that's really good or not...but looks impressive).
post #97 of 104 Old 06-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Paradigm and Klipsch do have good reputations... and they are well aware that you know that ($$$). If you slapped a "brand name" badge on my HSU sub it would probably cost 2-3x as much. Do you want the best possible sound for the money or a brand name that everyone will recognize with the lights on? Like I eluded to before, only you will know what the badges on the speakers will say during a movie. There's a reason BOSE has so many customers...
post #98 of 104 Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, the Bose example...that was strong! Definitely a strong brand, and weak performance.

It was interesting that one ht dealer actually tried to steer me away from Paradigm and suggested Definitive Technology instead, in fact when he sent over his quote he quoted the super cube as part of the package.
post #99 of 104 Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

You realize that at some point you're actually going to have to make a purchase and live with it?
My comment still stands (and your wife agrees)
post #100 of 104 Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

My comment still stands (and your wife agrees)

Ha. There's a chance I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it MAY be coming out.

Of course everyone has opinions and I'm new to all this so taking it all in. Someone just suggested Definitive Technology as they're better for movies...of course, some of them are just trying to make a sale!
post #101 of 104 Old 06-29-2013, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I wouldn't buy then super cube. I find it extremely expensive for the performance it offers. The specs on def tech speakers are also grossly inflated. Those subs tend to roll off extremely fast in the 30hz+ range which is not good for movies. I like Def tech speakers because I do think they sound good. This is their bookshelves btw. For their bookshelves I like the sm65 because it feels like the crossover frequency to the tweeter is more refined than the sm55.

When it comes to SVS and HSU subs their value is unmatched. No other sub you've listed even comes close to the performance of the SVS or HSU. Internet direct companies can offer such a great because their brand is not as well known. Also the level of customer service you get from these companies is unmatched. Don't feel hesitant to buy from them it will be the best decision you can make.
post #102 of 104 Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

First impression of Paradigm vs. Klipsch. Great suggestion by jm86wvu, getting the center definitely changes the sound in a very large degree.

Paradigm seems to fill the room more, the Klipsch seem to have a wall. It's like you're listening to the Klipsch while Paradigm puts you into the sound.

There are times those horns really come in handy on the Klipsch, especially in action. Listening to missile fly by on the Klipsch has a bit more impact, a bit more wow. The paradigm is probably more on the realistic side, but it's warmer tones, at least for me in that kind of scene, hurts it a bit.

Definitely not as huge of a gap as there was with Klipsch and Pioneer. Of course not a big money difference either. Tough call to make.
post #103 of 104 Old 07-01-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

It was interesting that one ht dealer actually tried to steer me away from Paradigm and suggested Definitive Technology instead, in fact when he sent over his quote he quoted the super cube as part of the package.

Be careful, some dealers will try to steer you towards the products that they make the largest profit margins on rather than the ones that will suit you the best. I get the impression from Def Tech that they make good quality equipment but just charge too much for it.

I hope you're at least having fun with this process. Comparing speakers is tons of fun (for me) even without perfect side by side capabilities.
post #104 of 104 Old 07-02-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Picking up the Paradigm set (minus sub) tomorrow along with a Sony 50ES and a 110" Dragonfly screen. Got a -great- package deal. Woot!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Tl1600 Speaker System , Martin Logan Mlt 2 Home Theater System , Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Klipsch Rf 42 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Tsi500 Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page