satellites or floor standing for home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 104 Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Putting together a new home theater. The room is in the basement, dedicated for the theater so good isolation sound wise. The use will be movies and gaming, not real concerned with music by itself.

Room size: 19'x12' ceiling is just shy of 8'

I've looked at both satellites and floor standing speakers; I lean to satellites for price though I want to be sure to do it right (and actually think the floor standing would look great)

Haven't decided if I'll start w 7.1 or 5.1

I've looked mostly at satellites, but not good reason. I've looked at:
Polk tl1600
Martlin Logan MLT-2
Definitive Technology ProCinema 600
Mirage
Energy

floor standing: (not finding a lot of info on which to look at)
Klipsch RF42
Polk TSi500

Are floor standing better than satellites or do the satellites work better?
And specific speakers to add to the list to look at?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Those little satellites wont work as well as good floorstanding speakers. The laws of physics apply here. mosts of those sats have 3" or 3.5" drivers and can't fill up a room like a much bigger speaker.

If you've got room for floorstanding or even bookshelf speakers by all means get them instead of satellites.

Where are you located?

Afro GT
post #3 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm in Atlanta.

So the best setup would be two towers in front, maybe a bookshelf for the center and then bookshelfs for the back?

Maybe something more like these? Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers

Other brand/model recommendations?
post #4 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
A nice "bang for your buck" system would be the complete Andrew Jones lineup. FS52 floorstanders, the BS22 bookshelfs, and the matching center. If you shop wisely you could get the whole Pioneer 5.0 system, something like the Klipsch RW-12D sub, and a decent avr for around $1k. Keep an eye out for NewEgg's specials, I'd even suggest subscribing to their email newsletter for specials.
post #5 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
If you have subs, and real HTs always have subs, there's no advantage to floorstanders. For the same money you can get a higher quality bookshelf than floorstander.
jm86wvu likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Do you think that's the best option to look at? Is that better than Klipsch floorstanding and Klipsch RC-42 combo?

I had my eye on the Denon, it seemed to get the best reviews and kept coming to the top, maybe spend a little extra and get the Denon AVR-2113CI?
post #7 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since you're in Atlanta you have a couple Fry's Electronics close by. You may want to check out the Infinity P363 towers which they put on sale for $108 each often.

They also carry the Infinity P163 and P153 bookshelf speakers that you could use as fronts or surrounds.

Afro GT
post #8 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Fry's currently has the FS-52 at $77 each thru Thursday. BS-22 speakers are $77/pr.

Afro GT
post #9 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. That's a great price.

Went to Fry's the other day, they were all about the Klipsch speakers. Anything to that?

Which are better those FS-52s or the Infinity's?

And where's that ad from, their website doesn't have them at that price. Found the flyer on their website, looks like the bookshelf speakers are still cheaper at Amazon. But great price for the floorstanders.
post #10 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Amazon has the bookshelf speakers for $129/pr. Fry's has them for $77/pr.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371099327&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+bs22

Did you look at that Fry's ad closely? It says add a pair for BS22's for $77.
Quote:
Which are better those FS-52s or the Infinity's?

You'll have to listen for yourself and make a decision....
Quote:
Went to Fry's the other day, they were all about the Klipsch speakers. Anything to that?

Not a fan of Klipsch speakers, its a love 'em or hate 'em thing for most people. The bright horn tweeters hurt my ears.

Afro GT
post #11 of 104 Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. That's great. I'll go give both a listen today, it's just so hard to tell inside a Fry's.

Sounds like both are comparable, probably can't go wrong either way? And then buy a matching center and subwoofer?

Do you think pairing these w the Denon AVR-2113CI is a good mix or is that overkill? I also looked at the 1913, 1611 and Fry's was suggesting the E200 (I don't care about Airplay or WiFi)
post #12 of 104 Old 06-13-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Bill - what do you think of the FS-52s, they're floorstanders but I can get them for the same/lower price than satellites. My rooms not huge, but at 12x19, I have the room...might consider building the speakers in the wall, though may not be doable.

On the other hand if I go satellites I can full build them into the wall and put them behind the screen which I'm reading is what many suggest.
post #13 of 104 Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

Bill - what do you think of the FS-52s
They have a listed response to 40Hz. That's a full octave lower than you need with subs.
Quote:
I can get them for the same/lower price than satellites.
You get what you pay for. They're probably OK for the price, but I'd be looking at a 2x5 plus tweeter bookshelf that will give a lot better result in the range where you actually listen to them, 80Hz and up.

post #14 of 104 Old 06-13-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for my ignorance but what does it mean that "they're a full octave lower than you need with subs." Is that good, bad?

Any particular bookshelves, or floorstanders, that you'd recommend?
post #15 of 104 Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for my ignorance but what does it mean that "they're a full octave lower than you need with subs." Is that good, bad?
It means you're buying a ten ton truck to haul a two ton load. It will work, but it's not optimal, nor size and cost effective.
Quote:
Any particular bookshelves, or floorstanders, that you'd recommend?
Sorry, I only give technical advice.

post #16 of 104 Old 06-13-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so when you say 2x5 plus tweeter bookshelf, what exactly am I looking for? Again, sorry for my learning curve. Until now the best I could do were a cheap set of boxed speakers.

And are you saying the subwoofer is too big or the receiver I was talking about?
post #17 of 104 Old 06-13-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I absolutely love my klipsch RF 82 x 3 for front and bookshelfs for the back. Easy to drive, sound amazing for movies and games.

EluneVision 106" Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned - 1.0 Gain, Benq 1070, psb T6, Rotel, OPPO, Velodine (Now),
135" AT screen, JVC-X35, 3x RF82, 3x Emotiva XPA100, Velodine, Rotel, OPPO (Sold with house).
post #18 of 104 Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, so when you say 2x5 plus tweeter bookshelf, what exactly am I looking for?
Something like this:
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lcr_gallery1.html

post #19 of 104 Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

So I'm between two sets. I know I should just go listen, but haven't found a spot that has them setup to test together. My research shows that the Klipsch system is probably the 'better" system, but this particular Pioneer set gets great reviews. The question is in the space how much better is it and will I notice it when watching movies or playing Xbox?

Primary use: Movies & Games
Room size: 12' x 19' dedicated room

I have my eye on the Denon AVR-2113CI to power them, mostly for the upgrade in the calibration. I haven't done a lot of research on the receiver side yet.

Option A: Andrew Jones Designed Pioneer Setup

Pioneer FS52 Towers
Pioneer BS22 Bookshelves
Pioneer SP-C22 Center
TOTAL COST: $328

Option B: Klipsch Setup

Klipsch RF42 Towers
Klipsch RC 41 Bookshelves
Klipsch RC42 Center
TOTAL COST: $913

Another option would be a satellite setup, but I'm hearing most push me towards the tower/bookshelf setup.

Energy Take Classic Subwoofer/Satellite System
MartinLogan MLT-2 Home Theater System
Polk Audio TL1600 Speaker System

Getting close, then on to receiver, screen and projector.
post #20 of 104 Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: The bookshelf speakers really hold their own. The towers definitely have more bass and fill the room, but the Energy bookshelf is a strong contender.

First listen, I think I like the Energy CB-10 (though I'd upgrade to the CB-20) over the Klipsch. The tower had more bass, but overall sound was just nicer on the Energy. But again it was a quick test, one song...I'll test it more tonight with a movie running. That'll be the real test.

After a few run throughs of the opening of Cars (hey, it's what I had). The Klipsch are definitely some nice towers, the Energy hold their own and the Pioneer really sounded nice too...definitely didn't sound like a $150 pair of speakers.

Of course the question is will I notice a big difference ongoing with the Klipsch (running $600 for the pair) over the Energy ($300) or Pioneer ($200). Of course I'll be adding subwoofer, center and side surrounds too.

Running through a few more listens tonight with our sound engineer from church, he'll certainly be able to point out some differences.

Edited by mbuck - Today at 12:11 am
post #21 of 104 Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course the question is will I notice a big difference ongoing with the Klipsch (running $600 for the pair) over the Energy ($300) or Pioneer ($200). Of course I'll be adding subwoofer, center and side surrounds too.
Testing them without a subwoofer isn't going to tell you what you really want to know, which is how they'll sound with a subwoofer.

post #22 of 104 Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bill, grabbed a JBL subwoofer (likely not my finally one, but the best they had at the time).

Here's my thoughts/results from tonight's listening. (Sweeney Todd, Cars, some good jazz on the iPhone).

Running this with a Pioneer SC-61 that I picked up at BB for $600.

Those Pioneer's blow my mind for the price I paid. $150 for the pair and they gave the Klipsh RF-52 a good run.

The Energy bookshelf speakers are nice speakers, but too nice. Both of these towers blow it away.

The Pioneer sounds great, honestly, if I had moved in here and those were in place I'd enjoy them and probably not think about replacing them. But then I switch over the Klipsch (sure wish there was a way to switch more quickly than unhooking and rehooking them up) and that Klipsch brings a new layer to the sound, more immersive.

The Pioneer's feel a bit muddy but still very strong.

On a scale of 1-10, the Pioneers are a 6 and the Klipsch are an 8 (and I can't afford the speakers that would get 9/10).

Now to wrestle with if it's worth the extra 4x the price. Not an easy call to make but I do want a system that I put in place and enjoy it. I don't plan on replacing anything later.

Now, if I bought the Pioneers I could get a better projector (currently looking at Benq W1070) or nicer screen (looking at Elites now) and easily add in the full 7 speakers instead of 5.

Any advice out there?
post #23 of 104 Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Since you have heard the Klipsch and like them better, get them. You are always going to wonder if you get the Pioneers, now they are a great speaker don't get me wrong, but once you hear something better that is within reach, the upgrade bug is going to be itching... rolleyes.gif

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #24 of 104 Old 06-18-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Possibly, though the Pioneers were strong. We're talking B speakers to an A- speaker. I don't have the pickiest ear, took several times comparing the two to really hear the difference. It's there, but it's not overwhelming.

My biggest thought is upgrading the visual side with the money I'd save, I'm more of a visual guy. I'd rather have B speakers and A- visuals, than the other way around. But, in my room which is dedicated and no ambient light issues it may not be hard to get A- visuals.
post #25 of 104 Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

It is incredibly hard to beat the Pioneer's value, and I agree they sound good. If it were me, I would probably have buyers remorse, but if you can take the difference and upgrade elsewhere, then maybe that is a smart idea. Heck take the difference and buy a better sub woofer, that will make a much bigger difference than the fine line between the speakers.

Living Room

Computer
post #26 of 104 Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

It is incredibly hard to beat the Pioneer's value, and I agree they sound good. If it were me, I would probably have buyers remorse, but if you can take the difference and upgrade elsewhere, then maybe that is a smart idea. Heck take the difference and buy a better sub woofer, that will make a much bigger difference than the fine line between the speakers.

Will you explain that to me a bit, how would a better subwoofer give a bigger difference? I don't want to shake the house (because I do like being married), but I want good sound. I want it to look and sound like a mini movie theater but not overtake the entire home. And any recommended subs to look at?

As I think about it though. If it really is a score of 6.5 and an 8, we're not talking B vs. A-, we're talking D vs. B. hmmmmm.....of course I may not notice the difference once it's all in place. But I may also not miss the $600 price difference in a year. Ahhhh....this isn't easy, and I still have to pick out a projector and a screen!
post #27 of 104 Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Well if you are comparing them with the same subwoofer, it is less likely, but if you have $600 extra, and put some of that towards a better sub, you will increase the performance of the Pioneer system. A better sub will be more articulate and dig deeper, and not sound as boomy. I would establish a budget and then compare the setups at that budget. So if you have say $1000, then you can get a great sub to go with the Pioneers, versus a weaker sub with the Klipsch.

I would go for something like the SVS-PB1000 to pair with the Pioneers. You don't need to play it loud, but it will offer good bass and blend better with your speakers.

Living Room

Computer
post #28 of 104 Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

That's definitely the sub everyone's been pointing to, either way actually.
post #29 of 104 Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
post #30 of 104 Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I would go for the PB-1000 (Ported). But buy it from SVS to make sure you get the warranty.

Living Room

Computer
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Tl1600 Speaker System , Martin Logan Mlt 2 Home Theater System , Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System , Klipsch Rf 42 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Tsi500 Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page