$800-900 Budget, Complete 5.1 System Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I was looking into just getting a HTiB, but after reading, not a good idea, especially with a decent budget.
I'm not really sure where to begin on a system, so I'm hoping you all can help me out!

It's a rectangular room, about 21'x 13' (Estimated). Vaulted 12' ceilings. Couches will be in the center of the room. 150" projector screen. There are two open doorways at the back of the room.

I need the Receiver/Amp, I would like front towers if possible, rear surround (Wireless is a must, rocketfish??), center, and a sub.
It will be used 45% gaming, 45% movies, and 10% music.

All help is appreciated! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 145
On that budget, you can get a VERY ENTRY level set up...
Figure$ 200 for an AV-R, $200 min for a sub and that leaves 500 for speakers (not a lot to get decent speakers)...you could probably get 4 Andrew jones Pioneer bookshelves or 4 Infinity primus p163, with the matching respective centers for close to 500 and that system would bet almost any HtiB.

-OR-

you could buy an AVR, a better sub and two main speakers. That could get you up to the RW-12 Klipsch 12 inch sub and would leave you 400 for a pair of Fronts and then just got 2.1 until you can afford to upgrade.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here's a AVR: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html

Here's some nice speakers: http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

And here's a nice sub: http://outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html

It's stretching the budget slightly. Also, if you cannot add a wireless speaker system right now, here's a nice one down the road:
http://outlawaudio.com/products/OAWA3.html

Speakers, receiver and sub would be around $959. The Outlaw wireless unit would take it to $1278'ish
post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

On that budget, you can get a VERY ENTRY level set up...
Figure$ 200 for an AV-R, $200 min for a sub and that leaves 500 for speakers (not a lot to get decent speakers)...you could probably get 4 Andrew jones Pioneer bookshelves or 4 Infinity primus p163, with the matching respective centers for close to 500 and that system would bet almost any HtiB.

-OR-

you could buy an AVR, a better sub and two main speakers. That could get you up to the RW-12 Klipsch 12 inch sub and would leave you 400 for a pair of Fronts and then just got 2.1 until you can afford to upgrade.

Totally agree with this. If I were the OP, I'd stick to the used market. I got my entire Klipsch reference system on Craigslist for $320 (including my RF-3 ii towers, RC-3 ii center, and RS-3 ii surrounds) I got dual Klipsch RW-12d's for $500 from ebay, and an older massive (54lb.) Denon avr-5600 receiver for $200 from ebay. I highly highly recommend going with an older heavier receiver on the used market, some killer deals can be found. I do not notice no longer having the HD audio codecs.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #5 of 5 Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I would buy a good front three, receiver, and a sub. The rear speakers, while nice for movies and games, don't play as big a role as the front three and sub.

Believe it or not, a good pair of bookshelf speakers with a matching center will better fill a room than 4 entry level speakers and matching entry level center. Just because you have speakers behind you doesn't mean it'll feel like you're enveloped in quality sound.

I'm sure you're being stern with your budget for a reason, and don't really want to have to spend more down the road to buy surround speakers, but you woud be doing yourself a huge favor by focusing your budget to a good 3.1(or 2.1) system.

Denon 1613 $229
HSU Value 3.1 Package $799

Total $1029

Or, agreeing with Elihawk

Denon 1613 $229
Klipsch RW12-D $300
Now you have $400 left for speakers. You can get a great pair of speakers for this price too.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page