Need assistance with shopping 2.1 home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Heisan,

Have just purchased a Panasonic 60 "DT60 LCD TV, so now I need a home theather that can complement this.

I intend to connect an PS4, the TV, Bluerayplayer and what else I could have on the bench to it.

I do not like having cables being pulled across the floor back to the living room, so that's why I'm basically looking for 2.1 home theater system.

I plan to provide up to 1200 dollars, no more of this if it is something special.

I have currently seen at these:

1.
Harman/Kardon 2.1 home theatre BDS 470
http://www.elkjop.no/product/tv-lyd-og-bilde/hjemmekino/HKBDS470/harman-kardon-2-1-hjemmekino-bds-470

2
Sony 2.1 home theatre system BDV-NF720
http://www.elkjop.no/product/tv-lyd-og-bilde/hjemmekino/BDVNF720/sony-2-1-home-theatre-system-bdv-nf720

3
Or possibly create a combo with:

Bose CineMate GS
http://www.lefdal.com/product/tv-lyd-bilde/hjemmekino/BOSECINEMGS/bose-cinemate-gs

and

3D Blu-ray player BDP-S5100
http://www.lefdal.com/product/tv-lyd-bilde/dvd-bluray-barbar-dvd/BDPS5100B/sony-3d-blu-ray-spiller-bdp-s5100¨

What do you think?

Have you or any other tips?
snakzz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coytee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145

Take your $1,200 and look for some used (and probably nicked up) LaScalas.  Use those for the first 3-4 years while you save up for a Danley DTS-10 sub and never look back.

coytee is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,610
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The Bose cinemate is not just bad, it is brutal. Just a blast of crappy midrange!
For 1200 dollars, you could get a pair of ascend acoust cmt340, 500 dollars, a klipch rw12 sub and any number of decent AVRs...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am looking for something that wont take much "space" in the living room, my GF wont allow me for that.

And then the Harman Kardon looks like an good sollution thats small and fancy and delivers good sound?
snakzz is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,555
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
... I'm basically looking for 2.1 home theater system. ... I plan to provide up to 1200 dollars ... I am looking for something that wont take much "space" in the living room ...
- Marantz NR1403 receiver ($400, shipped, at Crutchfield.com, Amazon.com, etc.)
- Cambridge Audio S30 speakers ($220/pr., shipped, at Crutchfield.com)
- SVS SB-1000 subwoofer ($499, shipped)

Total: $1,119
eljaycanuck is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

- Marantz NR1403 receiver ($400, shipped, at Crutchfield.com, Amazon.com, etc.)
- Cambridge Audio S30 speakers ($220/pr., shipped, at Crutchfield.com)
- SVS SB-1000 subwoofer ($499, shipped)

Total: $1,119

Hmm, dont think much of that is aviable here in norway :S

And would also like the set to include an blueray-player.
snakzz is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone else? smile.gif
snakzz is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,679
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 461
You could look at the Cambridge Audio Minx speaker line, they are compact satellites that seem to offer good performance relative to their size. NHT also makes a number of smaller speakers and they are a very popular choice. Don't buy one of those HTIB setups, you will be wasting your money.

Another option is to wall-mount your speakers, they won't take up any space and might let you get something better than a satellite system.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

You could look at the Cambridge Audio Minx speaker line, they are compact satellites that seem to offer good performance relative to their size. NHT also makes a number of smaller speakers and they are a very popular choice. Don't buy one of those HTIB setups, you will be wasting your money.

Another option is to wall-mount your speakers, they won't take up any space and might let you get something better than a satellite system.

Are the HTIB setups that bad?
snakzz is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,679
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Some of them sound okay, but for the most part they don't offer the capabilities of a more traditional speaker system, and their value is generally bad. And a lot of times they aren't easy to upgrade, meaning you have to start all over if you want something more.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Some of them sound okay, but for the most part they don't offer the capabilities of a more traditional speaker system, and their value is generally bad. And a lot of times they aren't easy to upgrade, meaning you have to start all over if you want something more.

Oh ok frown.gif

I just want to get an easy start and something that sounds, looks and are good.

I am not that experienced, and many of the sollutions that have been talked about here in the forums aint aviable here in Norway lol.
snakzz is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,387
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakzz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

You could look at the Cambridge Audio Minx speaker line, they are compact satellites that seem to offer good performance relative to their size. NHT also makes a number of smaller speakers and they are a very popular choice. Don't buy one of those HTIB setups, you will be wasting your money.

Another option is to wall-mount your speakers, they won't take up any space and might let you get something better than a satellite system.

Are the HTIB setups that bad?

HTIB is more of a of format for packaging equipment then it is an actual kind of equipment.

However, HTIB packages tend to minimalistic and stripped back, so their performance is typically more limited.

For example, the AVRs in HTIB packages tend to be light in terms of inputs. They may have non-standard output terminals. They often have a power amp for the subwoofer built-in, rather than the more typical practice of putting the power amp for the subwoofer in the subwoofer. The HTIB AVR then may not have a llne output for the subwoofer. Or none of these shortcuts may have been taken. You have carefully examine each one and see how its upgrade path winds around.
arnyk is online now  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

HTIB is more of a of format for packaging equipment then it is an actual kind of equipment.

However, HTIB packages tend to minimalistic and stripped back, so their performance is typically more limited.

For example, the AVRs in HTIB packages tend to be light in terms of inputs. They may have non-standard output terminals. They often have a power amp for the subwoofer built-in, rather than the more typical practice of putting the power amp for the subwoofer in the subwoofer. The HTIB AVR then may not have a llne output for the subwoofer. Or none of these shortcuts may have been taken. You have carefully examine each one and see how its upgrade path winds around.

This is what I have been looking at:

http://uk.harmankardon.com/bds-470-10217/bds-470.html

Is that the case in that sollution to?

I see that the set have alot of good reveiws.
snakzz is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone?
snakzz is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,679
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 461
You could try posting in the HTIB Forum, you are not likely to get many recommendations for package systems like that here.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Unfortunately, you said your budget is $1200 US currency but then everything you linked is in Norwegian currency or British pounds.

Really difficult to shop for you as we don't know what's available in Norway.

There is a European audio site that might be a little more helpful for you called AVForums.com
http://www.avforums.com/forums/audio-electronics/

Hope this helps.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,610
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Do they throw in a lb of lutefish with a purchase? smile.gif

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
snakzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Do they throw in a lb of lutefish with a purchase? smile.gif

Sadly :\

They dont deliver an good enough sound for that! mad.gif
snakzz is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off