$1500 max budget for speakers & sub. any recommendations??? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Brian323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

Those HSU sounded pretty thin through my desktop speakers but came alive when plugged to my avr with the sub on:rolleyes:

Sorry, your comments are hurting Dr HSU. I got to say though,for what it worth, those HSU bookshleves looks pretty nice and i have no doubt they sound even better.



To tell you the truth I was recording the VIdeo w/ grills on. I took them off AFTER the recording last night and for some reason the speakers sound cleaner and flatter. Detail got improved as well.
Brian323 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

How odd. To me first hand wiitnessing both speakers the Hsu's sound alot better. The other Youtube Video of another owner of Hsu playing music also sounds very good.

Do the speakers sound THIN in the yotube VIdeo of the music playing? Dont think so.

This is a prime example of a long time member Cel posting just to troll.

Dr.Hsu made subwoofers for 20 years or so, and the best subwoofers out there is made by Dr.Hsu. The speakers come from the same engineer Dr.Hsu, when counting in the factor that subwoofers add thickness and depth to speakers, and Dr.Hsu being the xpert at it, do you really think anyone would believe what you are saying? That they sound thin?

Also counting in the factors that subwoofers jobs are to hit the lowest frequencies, and Dr.Hsu knows how to hit the lowest frequencies with his subs, do you really think anyone is going to belive you when you say they have no detail?

Soundstage and imaging? Do you really think anyone is going to belive you when you say this knowing Dr.Hsu's speakers trademark is about soundstage?


C'mon man...

Don't you dare call me a troll. You turned this thread into the Brian show. Despite criticism from everyone else about your postings, you kept going, and going, and going. And now the OP has been run off because this thread became about you instead of about helping him. And you seem oblivious to this, even to the point of making it about sharing pictures of your setup and videos of your setup.

As for your video, you told us we could see how your speakers sounded using your video, despite the fact that it has been pointed out to you that listening to YouTube videos doesn't help to evaluate speakers. But you posted your video anyway, and the audio quality of that video IS HORRIBLE. I don't believe that HSU speakers sound horrible, but based on the sound in that video, your speakers sound terrible. I specifically said, "Based on what I heard in the video, his speakers" so that you would hopefully get the point that your video provides NO evidence of the SQ of your speakers.

However, like everything else people have tried to tell you in this thread, you just don't seem to get it or you refuse to get it.
CruelInventions likes this.

cel4145 is online now  
post #213 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Disregarding the terrible sounding video, you need to get that right speaker out of the bookshelf.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #214 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 01:08 PM
 
Brian323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Don't you dare call me a troll. You turned this thread into the Brian show. Despite criticism from everyone else about your postings, you kept going, and going, and going. And now the OP has been run off because this thread became about you instead of about helping him. And you seem oblivious to this, even to the point of making it about sharing pictures of your setup and videos of your setup.

As for your video, you told us we could see how your speakers sounded using your video, despite the fact that it has been pointed out to you that listening to YouTube videos doesn't help to evaluate speakers. But you posted your video anyway, and the audio quality of that video IS HORRIBLE. I don't believe that HSU speakers sound horrible, but based on the sound in that video, your speakers sound terrible. I specifically said, "Based on what I heard in the video, his speakers" so that you would hopefully get the point that your video provides NO evidence of the SQ of your speakers.

However, like everything else people have tried to tell you in this thread, you just don't seem to get it or you refuse to get it.


What do you mean Brian show? I am sticking to the OP, it rather seems like YOUR the one that is getting sucked in. From the very first post I expressed my opinion about the 2 speakers thati have HEARD personally in my own room. I posted pictures of my room because another member asked me to, I posted the Youtube Video so that the OP can get a clearer idea of what Hsu might sound like.

I am sticking to the OP and helping out the OP. All we are doing is running in circles between the 3 without any other speaker recommendations so he closed his own thread. Its not because I turned this into my thread, it is because again, we're talking about the same 3 speakers now for latests of posts. (Get a clue)

As for the bottom part of your post commenting on THAT specific Youtube VIdeo, since you did clarify again that your opinion is based on THAT youtube Video alone, thats fine.


Get over it dude, I have better speakers than you.biggrin.gif
Brian323 is offline  
post #215 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 PM
 
Brian323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Disregarding the terrible sounding video, you need to get that right speaker out of the bookshelf.


I was gonna get the stands but If I turned this into a literal T.V room with nothing but speakers and a computer, my parents would kill me so i had to compromise.


Will I notice a big difference in sound if I were to give it more room with nothing on top of the speaker ?
Brian323 is offline  
post #216 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

What do you mean Brian show? I am sticking to the OP. . . . I posted the Youtube Video so that the OP can get a clearer idea of what Hsu might sound like.

I am sticking to the OP and helping out the OP. . . .

I repeat. The OP IS GONE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp3 View Post

but no one here seems to be discussing a speaker & sub package for $1500 anymore, so im unsubscribing to this thread.

cel4145 is online now  
post #217 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Member
 
imranh86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Following this thread is frustrating. Brian323, you have expressed your opinion, now please move on. There is no right or wrong answer, it's simply about preference as I'm sure both, Ascend and Hsu, are quality speakers within this price range.
imranh86 is offline  
post #218 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Don't you dare call me a troll. You turned this thread into the Brian show. Despite criticism from everyone else about your postings, you kept going, and going, and going. And now the OP has been run off because this thread became about you instead of about helping him. And you seem oblivious to this, even to the point of making it about sharing pictures of your setup and videos of your setup.

As for your video, you told us we could see how your speakers sounded using your video, despite the fact that it has been pointed out to you that listening to YouTube videos doesn't help to evaluate speakers. But you posted your video anyway, and the audio quality of that video IS HORRIBLE. I don't believe that HSU speakers sound horrible, but based on the sound in that video, your speakers sound terrible. I specifically said, "Based on what I heard in the video, his speakers" so that you would hopefully get the point that your video provides NO evidence of the SQ of your speakers.

However, like everything else people have tried to tell you in this thread, you just don't seem to get it or you refuse to get it.

I have to agree with cel4145 here, this whole thread kind of turned into the Brian323 show.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #219 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
You were outed as a fraud for your negative comments regarding Ascend. Anything you said after that was not taken seriously.

You should have stopped when you said you were going to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

This is the final word. Peace and good luck with your purchase.

I'm done. Sometimes the best thing to do is just shield myself from stupidity. Block works.

Nethawk is offline  
post #220 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chevypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
His passive-aggressive attack on Ascend backfired. Didn't convince one person to follow him! But without his stupid rant, I wouldn't have gotten to read Dave's excellent response. So thanks Brian for helping me buy Ascends! My Ascend CBM-170SEs just got delivered, can't wait to get home and try them out!
Chevypower is offline  
post #221 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

His passive-aggressive attack on Ascend backfired. Didn't convince one person to follow him! But without his stupid rant, I wouldn't have gotten to read Dave's excellent response. So thanks Brian for helping me buy Ascends! My Ascend CBM-170SEs just got delivered, can't wait to get home and try them out!
You are not looking well. Maybe you should go home early. smile.gif
Nethawk likes this.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #222 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chevypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
hehe! smile.gif
Chevypower is offline  
post #223 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

His passive-aggressive attack on Ascend backfired. Didn't convince one person to follow him! But without his stupid rant, I wouldn't have gotten to read Dave's excellent response. So thanks Brian for helping me buy Ascends! My Ascend CBM-170SEs just got delivered, can't wait to get home and try them out!

I consider Poh Hsu a friend and I really tried to explain to Brian that he is doing just the opposite of promoting Hsu's products. That said, for anyone reading this thread -- don't let Brian's ranting's discourage you, Dr. Hsu makes excellent bang-for-buck products. We sold HSU subwoofers for many, many years and HSU used our loudspeakers in their demo room, until they released their own loudspeakers.

What Brian doesn't seem to get is that there is a ton of mutual respect between many of us smaller high-quality audio manufacturers, our "competition" is not really each other, instead it is the more mainstream / brick & mortar companies. There is also a huge amount of mutual respect between members here (even if opinions / preferences differ) and that is the driving force behind this wonderful forum. For the benefit of this forum, let us hope this is the end of it...

All that said, enjoy your 170's!!

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is offline  
post #224 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 1,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

I was gonna get the stands but If I turned this into a literal T.V room with nothing but speakers and a computer, my parents would kill me so i had to compromise.

This quote explains a lot of the 'logic?' Behind Brian323 posts to me. wink.gif
Nethawk and cel4145 like this.
grasshoppers is offline  
post #225 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 PM
 
Brian323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

His passive-aggressive attack on Ascend backfired. Didn't convince one person to follow him! But without his stupid rant, I wouldn't have gotten to read Dave's excellent response. So thanks Brian for helping me buy Ascends! My Ascend CBM-170SEs just got delivered, can't wait to get home and try them out!


Dude, do whatever you want with your money. I dont have a personal beef with Ascends. Whats hillarious is you spent your money just to go against my opinion of what I thought were the better speakers hearing both of them first hand.

Matter of fact, just to get the facts straight.. While you purchased your Ascends, I dont think it was based on my opinion that you bought them since all the late posts by me have been posted the last 2 to 3 days. (Ascend bashing as some call it)

And I think once ordered and shipped, it ususally takes about 3-5 business days for it to be delivered so you and I and now everyone else knows that you are Ascends personal friend maybe? So you have lied and have been caught red-handed.

Seems like another Ascends buyer that wants to convince themselves the Ascends are the better speakers, even to go the extra mile of lying to everyone lol. Sorry man, they REALLY are not.

And another member saying I was frauded and that is why I am going against Ascends? Dude.. get a clue. It was only about $37.00. No big deal lol.


BTW, "Ascend", I thought I told you it was a NOT a good idea for you to post on this thread. Might as well expose you even more.

Learn and do what you think is right, for example, YOU and I both know many of your Ascend speakers (not very good IMHO for the price) are bought and sold by Word-of-mouth on this forum.

Now, look at the BOTTOM of this very webpage, YOU do see Hsu Research logo on it correct? You do realize they are donating to the avsforum correct? Its called morals my friend.

Are all Ascend this bitter about their products? so much so they have to lie to the public? (Chevypower) not to mention Ascends should keep their customer profile private..


Ascends, as a customer, I am done with your company and so are many of my friends who are thinking of buying Home Theatre speakers after hearing the HSU's in my room.



Goodluck.
Brian323 is offline  
post #226 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chevypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Whats hillarious is you spent your money just to go against my opinion of what I thought were the better speakers hearing both of them first hand.
Since I could not audition them in a store, that's why they offer a 30-day money back guarantee. But I think you already knew that, or am I giving you too much credit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

I dont think it was based on my opinion that you bought them since all the late posts by me have been posted the last 2 to 3 days.
Oh yeah, did you forget about yours posts from 4 days ago, and going all the way back over 2 weeks ago? Yes, you got my attention with your comparisons, but as I am a critical thinker, I quickly saw your posts were not objective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

BTW, "Ascend", I thought I told you it was a NOT a good idea for you to post on this thread. Might as well expose even more.
Everyone knows there are two sides of the story, and nobody's buying your side. It's no wonder you don't want him posting rebuttals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Ascends, as a customer, I am done with your company and so are many of my friends who are thinking of buying Home Theatre speakers after hearing the HSU's in my room.
I'm sure you will be sorely missed. You have so many friends who just happen to be in the market for speakers right now. wink.gif

@Dave (Ascend). Just tried them out! These speakers are bloody fantastic, much better than what I was expecting. I would have been happy with "very good." They are eventually to go as rears, but I am using them as fronts with no sub, and I am really impressed. Already saving up for my CMT-340SEs. I want to recommend them to my family and friends in Australia, do you ship there?
Chevypower is offline  
post #227 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 PM
 
Brian323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

Since I could not audition them in a store, that's why they offer a 30-day money back guarantee. But I think you already knew that, or am I giving you too much credit?
Oh yeah, did you forget about yours posts from 4 days ago, and going all the way back over 2 weeks ago? Yes, you got my attention with your comparisons, but as I am a critical thinker, I quickly saw your posts were not objective.
Everyone knows there are two sides of the story, and nobody's buying your side. It's no wonder you don't want him posting rebuttals.
I'm sure you will be sorely missed. You have so many friends who just happen to be in the market for speakers right now. wink.gif

@Dave (Ascend). Just tried them out! These speakers are bloody fantastic, much better than what I was expecting. I would have been happy with "very good." They are eventually to go as rears, but I am using them as fronts with no sub, and I am really impressed. Already saving up for my CMT-340SEs. I want to recommend them to my family and friends in Australia, do you ship there?



Don't come off sounding like you are a newcomer on this forum and bought a pair of speakers based on my reviews (or against). Your join date states 2008, which means you have been around for awhile now reading on alot of reviews on this forum and its pretty obvious you have made a few friends here along the way (like Ascends). People are not stupid.

First you lie about your purchase, saying that you bought the Ascends just to go against me which is pretty darn redicilous and lol. (and a little crazy)

I think its pretty unfair to everyone (expecially those who are new to home theatre trying to make choices) to lie about your speakers just to go against my review of the two.

Its pretty obvious that you are going against me. The bottom portion of your post says it all.



Anyway, goodluck with your new speakers. You prabably won't get much out of it when watching movies.


Peace.
Brian323 is offline  
post #228 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chevypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Why are you so presumptuous? I joined AVSforums in 2008 because I have an AV background in relation to......video cameras. Yes, the camcorders section. I am new to this section. "good luck" and "you probably won't get much out of it." Like I said, you are "passive-aggressive!" And once again, I did not say I bought them to go against you, which makes you a liar, or stupid, or both.
Chevypower is offline  
post #229 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 PM
 
Brian323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyway, OP closed thread so there isnt much to post about anymore. Goodluck on your search for new speakers HT newbs.


Out.
Brian323 is offline  
post #230 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
BarnacleBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francicso
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I just read the eight pages in this thread. Phew!

I know it is too late for this thread, coming at the end, but there is an option to block a user. It makes this thread much better.
Nethawk likes this.
BarnacleBill is offline  
post #231 of 232 Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

This quote explains a lot of the 'logic?' Behind Brian323 posts to me. wink.gif

Oy. Yes it does. We've been dancing intellect with a kid. :facepalm:

On the bright side, when his parents get the credit card bill audio is likely to become a distant interest rather than an area of expertise biggrin.gif

Nethawk is offline  
post #232 of 232 Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
time out
zencarver likes this.

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
markrubin is online now  
Closed Thread Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr414
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off