Help me spend my money: LCR + Sub ~$1500 Budget Target - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This system will be used primarily for home theater and gaming use. I'd say 70% HT / 30% Gaming. The only music I anticipate listening to is whatever is included on the soundtrack! Room dimensions are roughly 12x20. I've done a bit of research and based on where I want to end up from a budget perspective I've come up with the following:

Ascend CMT-340SE + Stands = $568
Ascend CMT-340SE Center = $298
Rythmik LV12R Sub = $589
Shipping = $104
Discounts = ($117)
Total = $1442 Shipped

Here are some questions... (your feedback is greatly appreciated!)

1) Is this a good speaker selection for primarily HT/Gaming in this price range?

2) Would you go a different direction? If so, what would you choose within this budget?

3) Would I see a major benefit in increasing the budget to $2000? I don't want to get too crazy with this one. To be honest my hearing isn't that great so if +$500 just adds a bit of clarity that the trained ear would detect then not sure I'll get the benefit. Might be worth using that $500 for an extra sub?

4) I'm using an older Onkyo TX-SR602 AVR for now. I do intend to upgrade in the near future but just wanted to verify that this will be sufficient to get me by until I upgrade (hopefully by the end of the year). Any issues here?

5) Lastly, I'm planning to use my current surrounds and will upgrade those eventually. They are JBL Northridge bookshelf speakers. Just an FYI on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
That should be a great setup!

If you like bass, a second sub would help smooth out your response, but unless you are in a large or open space, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

That receiver should do okay for the time being, but you are missing HDMI and all the delicious sound it brings. A newer receiver would be something I would prioritize over the surrounds. Denon or Yamaha are good choices, Onkyo has been having issues lately.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, I definitely understand the limitations of the receiver. I'm currently surviving via optical routing to multiple devices and HDMI switching for video being handled by the TV. Not necessarily optimal but hopefully it can work for a few more months at least.

I'm also open for alternate speaker suggestions in the same price range. The main reason I have the Ascends in mind is that they seem to be highly regarded here and just happen to fit nicely into my budget.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
This will be an excellent setup for HT/gaming. It would be great for music too if that were important. You will need an HDMI receiver ASAP as already mentioned.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #5 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Let me play the devil...

Personally, I would either go 2.1 or 5.1. If you are going to use a 3.1 setup to simulate 5.1, you have already lost all of the rear information. I would just run in a classic stereo setup. Either save on the center or find a bit of extra for the surrounds would be my suggestion.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-15-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Let me play the devil...

Personally, I would either go 2.1 or 5.1. If you are going to use a 3.1 setup to simulate 5.1, you have already lost all of the rear information. I would just run in a classic stereo setup. Either save on the center or find a bit of extra for the surrounds would be my suggestion.

I do have some small bookshelf speakers I'm currently using as surrounds (see #5 above) and do hope to upgrade those as well as the receiver by the end of the year.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

I've been doing some reading this morning and may just use the extra 500 to grab a Denon 2313CI. Seems like a great all around receiver.

Btw, thanks for the support guys, I figure if I had made some bad choices I would have a lot more feedback. The silence definitely speaks volumes I think. wink.gif
post #8 of 15 Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The Ascend/Rhythmik setup you listed is a very, very solid choice wink.gif

Enjoy!
post #9 of 15 Old 06-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Liked: 10
Heres what I did. If you can build cabinets, Bookshelfs for High end, 12s for low cabinets, and an 18" sub. sub and 12s are passive cabinets.

http://www.avsforum.com/g/i/178998/a/2203701/jbl-system/sort/display_order/

150 Watts Ea. RMS Bookshelf spkrs- Control 25 (PR) $270
350 Watts Ea.RMS ,Needs cabinets - JBL Selinium 12W10P-Nd-SLF (PR) $320
500 Watts RMS ,Needs cabinet - JBL 2044 (1) $325
2 sheets birch veneer plywood 3/4" $80

Total without screws and hardware $995

add center and rears. possible 4 more control 25s $540

Audio design and engineering
post #10 of 15 Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a little worried about opening the can of worms I'm about to open but here goes...

I've basically decided on the spearkers in my OP but noticed that Ascend has B-Stock of the Sierra-1 bookshelf speakers and center. Total cost increase of ~$397 over my original price. I set my original budget just to give myself a wall but do have the ability to stretch it. Is the change from CMT340-SE to Sierra-1 very noticeable? Keep in mind this would be for a 99% home theater/gaming setup.

thanks again guys!
post #11 of 15 Old 06-18-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin269 View Post

I'm a little worried about opening the can of worms I'm about to open but here goes...

I've basically decided on the spearkers in my OP but noticed that Ascend has B-Stock of the Sierra-1 bookshelf speakers and center. Total cost increase of ~$397 over my original price. I set my original budget just to give myself a wall but do have the ability to stretch it. Is the change from CMT340-SE to Sierra-1 very noticeable? Keep in mind this would be for a 99% home theater/gaming setup.
Yes...it's noticeable difference...the Sierra-1's are excellent. The 340SE's are no slouch, and the best bang for the buck in the Ascend line of speakers. If you are not going to be doing a lot of critical listening, especially with music, stick with the 340SE's.

If you need to spend that $397, buy a set of surrounds, or put it towards your new AVR. smile.gif

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #12 of 15 Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a plan. I've already decided to move forward with the Denon 2313CI, in addition to a 3.1 setup of either type, but it may make better sense to stick with the 340s and put that extra cash towards finishing up the surrounds. Now I just need to stick with my choice and pull the trigger!
post #13 of 15 Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

I've got a placement question now that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

My HT room is the bonus room over our garage. It's basically rectangular and does have a couple of windows that I have covered with black out curtains. I'm trying to figure out the optimal spot based on floor layout to place the sub and the surrounds. I know there is some science to sub placement but I guess I'm trying to see what the eyeball test says.

Here is a picture of the current layout:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2218/y9uy.jpg

So basically, based on the picture alone:

1) How would you angle the surrounds? Keep in mind that the couch is flush against the wall so direct left to right may be limited. I thought about angling them more directly towards the couch and pulling them back a bit.

2) Sub location. I'm thinking somewhere up front either in between the right speaker and TV or right speaker and wall (in order to get the sub in the corner). Not sure if that window is going to cause me problems there or not. Are there any issues putting the sub behind the couch? It's pretty open space back there so plenty of room for it...

FYI, I'd say it's about 5 or 6 feet from the couch to the rear wall. And it's about 9' from the front stage to the couch.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
1) The surrounds should be a higher than ear level and slightly toed in.
2) For SW, between the R speaker and TV might work but do some experimentation (they call it the "sub crawl"). Try it in each available location and see how it sounds. You shouldn't be able to localize the bass.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #15 of 15 Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

1) The surrounds should be a higher than ear level and slightly toed in.
2) For SW, between the R speaker and TV might work but do some experimentation (they call it the "sub crawl"). Try it in each available location and see how it sounds. You shouldn't be able to localize the bass.

Thanks for the tips. My current surround set up meets the height requirement but I'll be sure to make some modifications to toe them in a bit once the new set arrives.

As for the sub, I'll definitely crawl around looking for a good location in the front. Any reason to avoid putting it behind the seating area? (Other than the expense of a much longer cable!)
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page