New Speaker Idea's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi: In the next little while I’m thinking of replacing my speaker set-up I have the following: Axiom M-60ti(V1),VP-150(V1), Mirage 190i’s for the rear, Paradigm PDR-10 subwoofer(I live in an apt. So not upgrading it...however to upgrade mains would sell it) I’m looking to spend (including what old speakers bring me) about $1500-$2000 over time. Room size is about 12w x 19l x 9 h, Yamaha RX-A1000 is the receiver. Thinking PSB, Paradigm monitors series something in that range. Thanks for the input in advance!!!

P.S I forgot to add I live in Canada so that does limit me somewhat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-14-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Just do auditions, is all I can say. Any of us can suggest our favorite speakers. But its your ears doing the listening. Go with what you think sounds best in your price range.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-14-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I think you're on the right track looking at smaller speakers, but dont count out the small towers available. A true 3 way with a dedicated midbass/midrange can have advantages over a standard sized TM monitor.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=arx-a5-floorstanding-loudspeaker&products_id=227&osCsid=bf7ab6da64a0abaa7de829c02a044e35

http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Tower-Speaker?sc=12&category=3773

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15494-wharfedale-diamond-107-tower-speakers-pr.aspx
post #4 of 20 Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

how would these compare to my Axioms?? E55Ti Tower Speakers are the 1's I'm reading up on, how would they sound? Thanks
post #5 of 20 Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
All you will get is subjective views that probably will not jive exactly with your personal tastes. Only you can choose what you like. Above all, don't worry about peer approval.

There are literally hundreds of recent subjective recommendations here where you might want to note a few in your price range & seek out places to audition them. ID companies generally allow 30 days auditioning in your own setting that is far better than in a showroom but can be a pain if you decide to pack them up to return them. Being a Canuck like me, beware of the issues of purchasing out of country though as unexpected additional charges (shipping, brokerage fees, customs) can ruin what was thought to be a good deal.

Your Axioms are quite dated now (I recently retired a perfectly good set of AX2s that are even older) as there are newer versions being produced in Ontario. Axiom continues to build, quality competitive products & makes the ID purchasing very easy with friendly excellent customer service. After all this time of ownership you probably like their sound so the latest versions may be worth considering. Check out their website & forums.

Anyway, there is an overwhelming amount of fine product from a myriad of different manufacturers out there making choosing even more difficult. Good luck in you quest...

TAM
post #6 of 20 Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereoguy99 View Post

how would these compare to my Axioms?? E55Ti Tower Speakers are the 1's I'm reading up on, how would they sound? Thanks

Haven't had the chance to try out any EMP speakers but I did direct side by side listening with the Arx and the Axiom speakers. My opinion the Arx was a better speaker. Higher quality drivers, well braced cabinets, high quality xover components, and sounded great. The planar IMO is far superior to the metal dome the Axiom uses, I noticed a slight overhang or after ring with the Axiom compared to the planar Arx ribbon.

I did not get a chance to compare the Arx A5 against an Axiom tower though. It was the Arx A1 and A2 against the Axiom M2, M22 and VP150. The only thing the Axiom was able to do was play louder with less power, but thats about it. Quality receiver and you'd have no problems. The Arx A1 actually compared very well against the two times as expensive M22 and the Arx A2 LCR just walked all over the M22. Much larger soundstage, deeper more natural bass (40hrz) and movies just had a more power sound to them, (theres were the monster woofers come into play, extra larger motor and crazy excursion). I would put the Arx A5 against the Axiom M80 any day.

Email The Audio Insider and ask for a quote for shipping and other charges to Canada.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 AM

The above is another in a long line of subjective opinions. You might hear it differently & prefer something else - it's all up to you.

Since it seems that we're talking a HT setup here, it would be assumed that a sub or 2 will be used.

Subs do all the heavy lifting below 80 Hz where most HTs are set so deep bass from the L & R is not as important as it used to be. The subs do all the work there. It seems from what I've read around the net, towers are really not required anymore (unless the room is huge) if decent sats are used. That's the way that I went in my medium sized HT using 2 modest 10" subs.

Interestingly, Audyssey continually sets my M22s at 40Hz in my room (so there must be some decent bass extension there) but I manually bump them up to 60 or 80 Hz like most folks do. They sound just fine with great power handling & articulate, accurate sound 'for me' - again an unabashedly subjective view on my part that probably is totally irrelevant for others in the grand scheme of things.

Again, beware of the possible foibles of cross border ID shopping....

TAM
post #8 of 20 Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post

The above is another in a long line of subjective opinions.

Yep my post is totally subjective. BUT at least its based on actual experience and not based on just pure brand loyalty. Get some actual experience outside of the world of Axiom, like you said theres a huge variety of brands and maybe you opinions would be more useful instead of the typical, searching for Axiom posts.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I own EMPtek towers and for the money, they are amazing! Mine are the recently discontinued mini towers, but they gave the same driver. Very laid back and accurate speaker!
Btw, it is likely the EMPtek e55 towers will go on sale soon for 700/pr. Check out the EMP owner thread!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #10 of 20 Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 PM

I didn't search out anything - it was staring us in the face.

I have had significant auditioning experience outside of my little world & finally chose what I did because they were best for me - completely subjectively of course. I do admit that I did not drag boxes & boxes of speakers home on a evaluation exercise with little expectation of purchasing them & that I'd have to return the open boxes to the hapless retailer. Therefore, their performance in the stores were what I got. When my choice arrived by FEDEX & I set them up in my HT for the 30 day trial, they sounded just fine to me - subjectively of course. They pleased me enough that I've purchased 2 more systems of the same brand throughout my house.

Now with 11 speakers comprising of 6 different V3 models throughout my house I guess that it could be construed with brand loyalty but I've been accused of worse. Heck, I use only Chevron/Texaco gas in my cars & motorcycle because of Techron so I guess that I'm loyal there as well. Nothing wrong with that.

Eli - good to hear your impressions on your EMPteks...

TAM
post #11 of 20 Old 06-15-2013, 04:26 PM

Liked: 12
According to their website, Emp doesn't deliver to canada. That's unfortunate, I'm also looking at them as well as the Monitor Audio silver Rx series even though they cost more. The MA Bx series might be something to consider for the op and would fit the budget better.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-16-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have had significant auditioning experience outside of my little world & finally chose what I did because they were best for me

Great, maybe you can tell us alittel about each and how they compared to the Axioms and why you chose the Axioms over the others? I would say significant auditioning has given you some insight to chime in on other threads NOT involving Axiom.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM

We're way off topic here again - as tends to happen as soon as Axiom is mentioned. I've been through this before with you but seem to conveniently forget or you don't want to hear it.

So, to refresh your memory & for those who haven't heard my boring story, last summer I auditioned perhaps a dozen or so brand name floor standers in the $1000 to $2000 range locally - some of which are obvious favourites here. As I've said before, they were all 'similarly good' but all with their own sound signature. I know that some don't like that description, but for me, I think that it says it all. Not one brand or model was what I would describe as poor - I could have been happy with any of them.

Having said that, in my biased, subjective view, none of them in that price range were able to equal my Axiom sats plus single sub system at home, especially when it came to full, clean bass extension. To be fair, no tower at that price point could be expected to. That's why I have what I have & I'm proud & happy to own them.

Yesterday I added a second EP400 sub to my M2 sats in my tube-amp system. It is even more powerful & articulate - my subjective opinion of course. I fear that I've created a mini disco in my living room, except that it is so much cleaner sounding. It is really easy to overdo the lower end now so I have to watch that to keep it in check.

Now back on topic - for the OP, how are you doing in your quest?

TAM
post #14 of 20 Old 06-16-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Update: Well I listened to both Paradigm Monitor 7's & 11's yesterday and they were not even close to my Axiom's M-60's in bass extension or clarity(treble) to say nothing of soundstage depth!!!! Also listened to PSB(which I've owned in the past 40mk 2) T5 they were better than the Paradigm's but not in the league of my Axiom's. So What I think I'm going to do is just upgrade my Mirage 190i's (rear speakers) looking at these very seriouslyhttp://fluance.com/product/Fluance_XLBP_Wide_Dispersion_Bipolar_Surround_Sound_Speakers.eng-111.html How close will they come to either say Mirage Omini 150's or Nano-Sats? I'd really like to get either of the QS4 or 8's from Axiom however just not in my budget for quite awhile so trying to get as close to that type of performance!!1Thanks [
post #15 of 20 Old 06-16-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We're way off topic here again - as tends to happen as soon as Axiom is mentioned. I've been through this before with you but seem to conveniently forget or you don't want to hear it.

We are not off topic, you have Axioms and the OP is looking for something besides his Axioms. You said you had extensive auditioning other brands. So please give us a breakdown of each and how they compared to the Axioms. It would be subjective of course but may just help the OP out. Since you take offense to my subjective opinion. Please tell us how great the Axioms are compared to those other brands. Maybe you think it only happens when Axiom is mentioned because you only really participate in Axiom involved threads.

And lets not forget you could have just ignored my post but just had to point out that its a totally subjective post and hinting that it should be ignored, I guess since its not Axiom is great blah blah.

I didn't judge speakers based on a demo session in a retail showroom, I took the time to properly set each speaker up in my own living room. And took advantage of the in home trial (thats why they have them). Some like to own the same speaker brand and just convinently said they are similarly good, while others go through a long drawn out trial period to try and find the best speaker within budget.
post #16 of 20 Old 06-16-2013, 04:35 PM

The OP seems to have decided to keep his Axioms for the fronts because he subjectively likes them better than what he just auditioned.

He is still looking for rears but all I can say subjectively is that I like my QS4s with their unique dispersion patterns & they work well in my HT; however, for him they are too pricey & he may have to look elsewhere or buy used...

TAM
post #17 of 20 Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

The OP seems to have decided to keep his Axioms for the fronts because he subjectively likes them better than what he just auditioned

Yes as I have limited funds I just can't sell my axiom's and just start over so I'm just going to start with the surrounds and go from there, if I come across a good deal for new mains and a center that is decidedly better then the M-60's then I'll go for it!! Thanks
post #18 of 20 Old 06-16-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes as I have limited funds I just can't sell my axiom's and just start over so I'm just going to start with the surrounds and go from there, if I come across a good deal for new mains and a center that is decidedly better then the M-60's then I'll go for it!! Thanks

Just make sure you give what ever else your considering a fair chance and in your room. Take the time to set them up properly and then judge them. Retail showroom isn't the best place and i'm sure if you put your Axioms in a retail store the could sound much different for better or worse. When you talked about soundstage and depth that can be a setup issue and room issue. You've taken the time to properly set the Axioms up, isn't fair to judge another speaker thats setup for looks in a showroom.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-16-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hi GTPsuper24: Thanks for the info, I'm aware of the showroom dilemma and always know that the speakers much like a TV will perform much better when you get them home, however in the case of the speakers yesterday(driven by an updated RX-A1020) I have a RX-A1000 there was such a gap in sound quality it was not worth going any further!! It is just fine not to like Axiom's but apparently you must have had a bad experience with them? I've been up to their(Axiom) facility and seen the "chamber" build like one in Ottawa that most/all Canadian speaker manufactures use in designing and testing their speakers, and met with people that work in the plant seeing the speakers being built. My point is imo the Paradigm's monitor line is totally inferior to both Axiom and PSB at least until you get into the studio line(way too much $$$ for me) and in the past I've listened to those too and found the same outcome. I've looked at the Arx's you suggested will look at them some more as now I'm in no hurry to upgrade anything but the rears. Thanks
post #20 of 20 Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi GTPsuper24: Thanks for the info, I'm aware of the showroom dilemma and always know that the speakers much like a TV will perform much better when you get them home, however in the case of the speakers yesterday(driven by an updated RX-A1020) I have a RX-A1000 there was such a gap in sound quality it was not worth going any further!! It is just fine not to like Axiom's but apparently you must have had a bad experience with them? I've been up to their(Axiom) facility and seen the "chamber" build like one in Ottawa that most/all Canadian speaker manufactures use in designing and testing their speakers, and met with people that work in the plant seeing the speakers being built. My point is imo the Paradigm's monitor line is totally inferior to both Axiom and PSB at least until you get into the studio line(way too much $$$ for me) and in the past I've listened to those too and found the same outcome. I've looked at the Arx's you suggested will look at them some more as now I'm in no hurry to upgrade anything but the rears. Thanks

Just wanted to make sure, too many rush to judgement on speakers that they listened to in a half assed Magnolia or other showroom and then try to compare that 10 min quickie to the speakers they setup properly and have owned for years. Again did you take the Paradigms home or are you saying they are inferior from you demo session at the store vs Axioms in your home? I test drove a new Chevy Camero in the dealer parking lot and from that demo it sure is inferior to my Ford Focus and speed.

With advancements in digital tech and software, chambers are not longer needed (although nice to have) to design a great speaker and having a chamber doesn't automatically mean competant design.

I'm just confused, you seem like a very proud and happy Axiom owner, why get new speakers if you like Axiom so much? I'm not going into my issues with Axiom, you can search my posts to find them.

I have no allegiance to Arx speakers, I realize there are better speakers out there, better looking speakers, better made speakers and that the Arx are not similarly good to other speakers out there. They compete well with other similar priced speakers and some more expensive speakers. I stumbled across them when I clicked on the "The Audio Insider" banner on AVS. I added them to the list of brands I decided to try out. XBL2 woofers was what really got me interested, its a proven technology and has resulted in some great subwoofers from several brands. I tried out Arx A1s, HSU's, Aperions, Boston Acoustics, and several others all in the same room with the Axioms. Thats how I came to my SUBJECTIVE opinon, not from blinded brand loyalty.

Try out as many speakers as you can and use the trial periods. Read up on Arx or don't, it doesn't matter to me. I chimed in only cause i've switched from Axiom to other speakers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page