Speaker advice and suggestions moving into smaller space - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am currently planning on moving to a nearby city later this year from where i currently live. I decided to just get an apartment/condo, as I have looked at a few and really liked them and they were luckily on the bottom floor as I dont want to be above anyone and hear complaints about bass. I should mention I am also no audio file, so while im not ignorant to good sound, it will mainly be used for moves and a bit for music.

My current setup is modest, I have athena As-F2 front speakers, an athena center speaker and two pairs of athena As B2 bookshelf speakers for a 7.1 system. I have a velodyne sub which I am happy with and living in an apartment unless I am mistaken i probably shouldnt be looking to upgrade my sub, even on the bottom floor.

Now my reasoning might be wrong, but I would like to switch to an all bookshelf system as I dont really want large speakers in a smaller space and transport will be rough.

But I am also wondering if budget bookshelf speakers could provide better sound then my older athena's, or if the athenas would still provide better sound even in a smaller space? I guess thats my first question.

And if the answer is yes and I should switch to bookshelf, minus the sub (which i am happy with yet) i was looking at 7 surround sound speakers.

My idea was to look at polk monitor 40's for the front, the polk CS10 for the center and then just some monitor 30's for the surround sides and back since they are nice and small. I really dont want to spend much more then 700 as i have needs for my money elsewhere at the moment, and can think about upgrading later.

Would like any insight or opinions on this. What approach would other people take? Will this be an upgrade or downgrade? Is this configuration and speaker selection ok? And is it a good idea in a smaller space to go with these bookshelf speakers or stick with what i have?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 02:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I am currently planning on moving to a nearby city later this year from where i currently live. I decided to just get an apartment/condo, as I have looked at a few and really liked them and they were luckily on the bottom floor as I dont want to be above anyone and hear complaints about bass. I should mention I am also no audio file, so while im not ignorant to good sound, it will mainly be used for moves and a bit for music.

My current setup is modest, I have Athena As-F2 front speakers, an athena center speaker and two pairs of athena As B2 bookshelf speakers for a 7.1 system. I have a velodyne sub which I am happy with and living in an apartment unless I am mistaken i probably shouldnt be looking to upgrade my sub, even on the bottom floor.

Now my reasoning might be wrong, but I would like to switch to an all bookshelf system as I don't really want large speakers in a smaller space and transport will be rough.

As I see things, you already mostly have a bookshelf system. The minority exceptions are the two floorstanding L & R speakers.

I look into the future, and you replace the L & R speakers with bookshelf speakers (maybe a pair of Athena bookshelves you pick up on the used equipment market) which you put on speaker stands and end up with about the same profile and footprint as the floor standers.

Congratulations! You just went full circle!
Quote:
But I am also wondering if budget bookshelf speakers could provide better sound then my older athena's, or if the athenas would still provide better sound even in a smaller space? I guess thats my first question.

There are Athena reviews including fairly technical detailed and laudatory ones from Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/645/

and

Soundstage:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/athena_asb1.htm

Looks to me like you got money burning a hole in your pocket, and if so maybe you should invest in some room acoustics treatments for the new place.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

... Looks to me like you got money burning a hole in your pocket, and if so maybe you should invest in some room acoustics treatments for the new place.

+1 Often does more than new speakers to improve the sound wink.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting never really thought of it this way. Guess thats why its always good to ask advice on here before I do anything.

I suppose my thinking though was that I should not mix and match the speaker brands. Or is that just the front setup? I suppose i could replace center and floor standing speakers.

The only other question as well would the monitor 40 be an upgrade or downgrade to the As-F2? Im not sure if newer speaker technology does anything or we have seen advancements. I think the athenas were built around 10 years ago. I dont know if speaker technology in this price range advances like tv's do (im more of a video guy so I really have no idea on this subject).
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You do realize that the Polk Monitor 40 hasn't been made for a while now? They where available for very cheap for a while from Newegg, but that has been over for some time. I got a pair over a year ago for a very good price. Soon after that they became unavailable. They do have a new model out now. But you're going to pay more for them then when the Monitor 40's where available for a steal.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I suggest that you read the article on the new Pioneer BS-22 speakers in the current issue of Stereophile (available online).

For under $200, these appear to be an amazingly good speaker; way more than one would expect for such a low price.

The Pioneer CS-22 center speaker is around $150.

I think you could use those 3 speakers with the small surround speakers you have now.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
The only other question as well would the monitor 40 be an upgrade or downgrade to the As-F2? Im not sure if newer speaker technology does anything or we have seen advancements. I think the athenas were built around 10 years ago. I dont know if speaker technology in this price range advances like tv's do (im more of a video guy so I really have no idea on this subject).

The Athenas were highly rated speakers in their time. The F2 towers got especially high marks. The Monitor 40 nor BS22 would be an upgrade over your B2 bookshelf speakers and definitely not the Athena towers.

Just go with 2 pairs of B2's and C1 center and make a 5.1 setup if you want an all bookshelf setup.

You'd be treading water at best spending money on those other speakers. Use the money on a tighter subwoofer if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

What AV receiver do you have?

Afro GT
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently sold off my Polk Monitor 60s for Totem bookshelf speakers. I loved my Polks until I realized what I was missing out on. Great entry level speakers, but that's about as far as they go. I wouldn't waste your money on the monitor 40's or the "new" monitor 45s. My argument for bookshelves, since you already have a good sub, (and some may disagree) is that you tend to get better components for your money going with bookshelves over floorstanders. Most $600-800 bookshelves will be of better quality than floorstanders in the same price point.

Upgrading is fun. Get new speakers if you can afford it. Don't if you can't. Try not to over-think it!
Socketman likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The Athenas were highly rated speakers in their time. The F2 towers got especially high marks. The Monitor 40 nor BS22 would be an upgrade over your B2 bookshelf speakers and definitely not the Athena towers.

Just go with 2 pairs of B2's and C1 center and make a 5.1 setup if you want an all bookshelf setup.

You'd be treading water at best spending money on those other speakers. Use the money on a tighter subwoofer if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

What AV receiver do you have?

Right now I have a denon 3311, but due to network problems I am looking at maybe the X2000 or pioneer Vsx-1123, I am still a bit unsure at the moment.

Honestly it sounds like unless I really need the space and or I really dont want to transport the AS-F2, i should just suck it up, transport them to the new place and make it work in the room and save money. And put the money elsewhere...
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page