OK, need a little "Expert" advice on Front Speakers and Center Channel..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my dilemma(if you want to call searching for speakers a "dilemma"):

I currently have a set of Chapman T1(boutique speakers) for my mains and the rest of my system consists of a Definitive Technology CLR2500, 4 Def Tech BPX surround speakers and an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub mated to a Pioneer Elite SC-55 Receiver and an OPPO BDP-93 Blu-Ray player. Basically, I'm looking to completely upgrade the front soundstage and I'm really having a tough time figuring out what do with regards to speakers. Preferably I would like to keep the 4 BPX surround speakers and the SVS sub as I don't really think I'd benefit much by upgrading those particular components at this time, but when it comes to the front mains and center channel I really don't know where to start. I will say that the system is used for 100% Blu-Ray and DVD movies(no music or TV watching) and I'd like to stay in the $5000 or less price range if at all possible. I've been doing a little preliminary research around this section and here are some of the candidates I've come up with:

SVS Ultra Towers and Ultra Center: been hearing great things about these and I'm a huge fan of their subs so they're definitely on my short list.
Definitive Technology BP-8080ST: these would probably allow me to keep my CLR2500 or I could add the CS-8080HD and either would also give me a full Def Tech system(not something that's necessary, however).
Klipsch THX Ultra2 7.2 System: this is a longshot candidate, but I could get an almost new full system at a very good price.....just don't know if it's too overpowering for the room and if my receiver would be enough to run them.
Paradigm Studio Series: Probably getting out of my price range with these, but still under consideration as I've always thought highly of Paradigm speakers.

Since I've been out of the speaker game for a while there are other brands I'm hearing a lot about, but really know nothing of their products such as: Ascend Acoustics, Salk, Philharmonic, JTR, Monitor and Energy. I don't even know which ones of those would fit within the budget and if they are good matches with regards to the other pieces in my system, but I do know those are all popular names around here so I wanted to get some thoughts on all of them. Overall, there are about 10 different brands I'm considering and since I have completely no bias towards any of these speakers I'm open to any and all suggestions as to what would best fit my needs.

I'd really like this thread to be helpful and friendly without lines being drawn in the sand so to speak with regards to what's good and what isn't. I know everyone has their preferences when it comes to speakers and even though I'm far from an audiophile I still think I have a pretty good idea as to what constitutes good sound so I'm just trying to achieve the best movie watching HT system possible while remaining on a somewhat reasonable budget. Look forward to the suggestions and advice.

smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone awake around here? biggrin.gif
post #3 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wait for it - there will lots of guys with their standard recommendations in the morning.

I'd love to help you but I fear that another argument would soon break out.

In the mean time, perhaps you might want to go back a month or so & read some of the myriad of similar posts & get some ideas on what others have said already.

Good luck...

TAM
post #4 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post

Anyone awake around here? biggrin.gif

Yes...lol...for me since you own definitive my vote is for the 8080-st's.I own the 8060-st's myself and love them...I would of bought the 8080's myself but when I bought mine they only had the 8060's but they sure do put out for music and movies.I think you would be very happy with the 8080-st's.Especially with a 100 % movie setup...the deftech's are hard to beat IMO.Do test the other speakers though...with your budget you want to be sure you bought the best you could without regret...smile.gif

Best of luck

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #5 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the responses, Josh and TAM. Hopefully the discussion can remain civil without turning into a pissing match. As I said in my original post, I'm not asking everyone to choose their favorite speaker on the planet, but rather try to help me figure out what would work best for my particular setup with the equipment I currently have.

Also, even though my desire is to keep the SVS sub and Def Tech surrounds, I can't help but being drawn to that Klipsch THX Ultra2 7.2 set referenced above. I know it would probably be overkill, but I keep thinking that would be the closest reproduction to movie theater sound I could get at home. Someone please try to talk me out of them.
biggrin.gif
post #6 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 AM

I for one, am not going to talk you out of anything, ha!!

TAM
post #7 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post

I for one, am not going to talk you out of anything, ha!!

TAM

That's what I'm afraid of....this could end up very badly for my wallet if I'm not careful. biggrin.gif
post #8 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Aw, you only live once - get out that fat wallet, lighten it & enjoy.

BTW, I'm surprised that there is not more traffic here yet as the sun is well up now. Perhaps it's because I'm in here, ha!!

TAM
post #9 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still looking for some input. cool.gif
post #10 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Klipsch THX Ultra2 7.2 System: this is a longshot candidate, but I could get an almost new full system at a very good price.....just don't know if it's too overpowering for the room and if my receiver would be enough to run them.
I'm just trying to achieve the best movie watching HT system possible while remaining on a somewhat reasonable budget. Look forward to the suggestions and advice.

The Klipsch Ultra2 system is very nice and you can find them discounted sometimes. Find a Klipsch Ultra dealer and work them over on price. Your receiver would have no problem running them, they are efficient and don't require huge sums of power to play loud. They are also probably some of the best measuring speakers around and are far from the typical Klipsch brightness.

JTRs is also something to look at and may just put them ahead of the Klipsch system. 3 JTR Noesis 228HT across the front would give you that huge dynamic theater sound and your receiver would run cool since the JTRs are 98db so very little power with huge output.

Don't worry about speakers over powering a room. The speakers don't over power, turning the volume is what overpowers. The Klipsch or JTRs will sound great even at lower volumes.

I would also add dome of the Waveguide DIY kits that gets raved about in the DIY section http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits.html would leave enought to replace surrounds and possible new upgraded subwoofer(s).
post #11 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
There's a full Klipsch Ultra2-THX 7.2 setup for sale in the AVS classifieds for $5800, that seems like a pretty good deal!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471401/klipsch-thx-ultra2-7-2-speaker-system
post #12 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

There's a full Klipsch Ultra2-THX 7.2 setup for sale in the AVS classifieds for $5800, that seems like a pretty good deal!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471401/klipsch-thx-ultra2-7-2-speaker-system

Yup, that's the one I'm looking at. wink.gif

I've already contacted the seller to see what shipping would cost and if there's any more room to negotiate on the price. I'm pretty sure that system would be overkill for my 16x24 HT room, but it's very tempting to have a speaker system that is actually used in movie theaters and now I'm just basically trying to figure out if it would be a better option than some of the other brands I'm seriously considering like SVS, Def Tech, Ascend, JTR, etc.

Please keep the thoughts and opinions coming. smile.gif
post #13 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, that's the one I'm looking at. wink.gif

I've already contacted the seller to see what shipping would cost and if there's any more room to negotiate on the price. I'm pretty sure that system would be overkill for my 16x24 HT room, but it's very tempting to have a speaker system that is actually used in movie theaters and now I'm just basically trying to figure out if it would be a better option than some of the other brands I'm seriously considering like SVS, Def Tech, Ascend, JTR, etc.

Please keep the thoughts and opinions coming. smile.gif

Well I have JTR Noesis speakers for my LCR setup, and I absolutely love them. But a JTR 7.0 setup consisting of three 228HT's and four Slant 8's for example would already cost more then that entire Ultra2 7.2 setup and you'd still have to get subs with the JTR stuff. Now do I think the JTR's would be worth the extra money, yes but that's just me.

And again a SVS Ultra 7.1 setup would set you back about 7grand too, if you went with the PB13-Ultra sub of course.

If you could get that Ultra2 7.2 setup with shipping for under 6grand and your budget would allow for it I would grab it.

I almost bought the Ascend Sierra towers and matching centre, and if I listen to more music I still might have bought them. But seeing that I'm pretty much 100% movies I wanted to try out the JTR's because of how dynamic I kept reading they were.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Well I have JTR Noesis speakers for my LCR setup, and I absolutely love them. But a JTR 7.0 setup consisting of three 228HT's and four Slant 8's for example would already cost more then that entire Ultra2 7.2 setup and you'd still have to get subs with the JTR stuff. Now do I think the JTR's would be worth the extra money, yes but that's just me.

And again a SVS Ultra 7.1 setup would set you back about 7grand too, if you went with the PB13-Ultra sub of course.

If you could get that Ultra2 7.2 setup with shipping for under 6grand and your budget would allow for it I would grab it.

I almost bought the Ascend Sierra towers and matching centre, and if I listen to more music I still might have bought them. But seeing that I'm pretty much 100% movies I wanted to try out the JTR's because of how dynamic I kept reading they were.

Thanks for the informative response. Like you, my system is used 100% for movies so that's the main thing I'm trying to highlight in my search for new speakers. Also, I already have the SVS 20-39 PC+ sub which I would keep in all scenarios except if I went the Klipsch Ultra2 route(since that system comes with the dual subs). So, if for example I went with the SVS Ultra Tower System I wouldn't buy a new SVS sub and same with most other systems under consideration such as Def Tec, JTR, Ascend, etc. as the SVS is still going to be a capable sub with any of those speaker systems.

I keep coming back to that Klipsch Ultra2 system because I think the price is a pretty good deal and I'm really drawn in by the fact that it's pretty much a commercial theater speaker system. The only drawback is that I've never heard them in person myself, but that pretty much goes for every speaker I'm considering and based on all the glowing reviews I've read of the Ultra2 system I seriously doubt I'd be disappointed. cool.gif
post #15 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

By the way, jbrown, what kind of sub(s) are you running with your JTR speakers?
post #16 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, jbrown, what kind of sub(s) are you running with your JTR speakers?

I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with the Ultra2 setup either. Of course IMO the same would be said for a JTR setup, but at the price of the one in the classifieds it would defiantly be the better deal.

I have dual PSA XS30's.
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xs30
And love them!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page