My speaker rubber surround is softened. Is that good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-17-2013, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay so I own a floorstand Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 I bought back in 2009. It's been a great riddance and sounds wonderful to my ears and I never really touch or tinker about the speaker itself.
Well who does that anyway, right?

But recently I just upgraded my center and just for the sake of it I opened all the grille. Just because I like to see the driver design biggrin.gif

Long story short, I touch the woofer surround on my 9.6 .. And all of so sudden it feels like .. wow, it's so soft eek.gif So easy to push/pull and press. Feels like it's thinning off. Nothing abusive though, just a light finger touch to the surround. But it's a bit worrying.

While my newly upgraded center has this stiffer and stronger feeling on the rubber surround.

Question is, is this a normal/good sign or should I start worried about my woofer surround deteriorating or wearing off? Will it need the replacement soon? To be exact, the rubber surround feels too elastic than I remember when it was new, no wear and tear signs thankfully.

Just softer while my new center rubber surround is stiffer and feels great to the touch (well it's new, it should be like that, no?)

Any input and thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-17-2013, 04:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post

Okay so I own a floorstand Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 I bought back in 2009. It's been a great riddance and sounds wonderful to my ears and I never really touch or tinker about the speaker itself.
Well who does that anyway, right?

But recently I just upgraded my center and just for the sake of it I opened all the grille. Just because I like to see the driver design biggrin.gif

Long story short, I touch the woofer surround on my 9.6 .. And all of so sudden it feels like .. wow, it's so soft eek.gif So easy to push/pull and press. Feels like it's thinning off. Nothing abusive though, just a light finger touch to the surround. But it's a bit worrying.

While my newly upgraded center has this stiffer and stronger feeling on the rubber surround.

Question is, is this a normal/good sign or should I start worried about my woofer surround deteriorating or wearing off? Will it need the replacement soon? To be exact, the rubber surround feels too elastic than I remember when it was new, no wear and tear signs thankfully.

Just softer while my new center rubber surround is stiffer and feels great to the touch (well it's new, it should be like that, no?)

Any input and thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

As long as the voice coil doesn't rub and there are no breaks in the surround, don't worry about it. Driver suspension compliance is not a strong influence on bass response since in most speakers the air in the cabinet whether vented or not, does much the same thing.

Your available option is to replace the old driver.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

As long as the voice coil doesn't rub and there are no breaks in the surround, don't worry about it. Driver suspension compliance is not a strong influence on bass response since in most speakers the air in the cabinet whether vented or not, does much the same thing.

Your available option is to replace the old driver.

Thank you for the reply, sir. I double checked definitely no wear and tear signs nor cracks and brittling. In fact, it feels a bit more elastic than I remember it. Haven't opened the grille for so long so I couldn't remember exactly.

So you're saying the rubber suspension does not generally affect bass response of my woofer? Even if it's a bit torn or cracked it could be unnoticeable by the sound of it?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page