Looking for a Pair of Floor Standing Fronts for around $500 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Martin Logan and Arx are not of the same design. Smallish towers and ribbon/amt tweeters are the only thing they have in common. Its also funny that he is critizing a speakers he's NEVER heard and has no plans of every even letting them in his house. I'm sure I can find many quotes of unsatified Axiom owners/former owners about how the speakers have no fidilty, incohesive mess of a sound stage, finger nail on chalk board tweeters, cheap bargin bin quality components, the worst off axis speaker ever in the VP150, hollow unbraced subwoofers, port chuffing, ect......

While not every speaker is perfect, these Axiom speakers seem to be the worst or almost the worst avaible. And this is coming from someone who has actually listened to them and not just reading quotes on a forum and basing the descision on that.

But the quote above was taken out of context and was about experiementing with speaker setup and like the Axioms guys always say when someone doesn't like the Axioms, is ROOM plays a big part. Thats the typical Axiom go to line when someone doesn't like the speakers. But yet they just right on the speaker bashing if its something else.

Wait a minute I found one from a very happy Axiom owner that owned them for an entire 6 months before selling them and taking a 50% loss.

Why are you bringing up axioms again, this thread is about speakers with ribbon tweeters pathetic the way you keep attacking axioms when i am making valid points. So Rustolium didnt like his axioms hopefully he found something he did like i am ok with that. At least he doesnt go on incessantly about them. No one speaker suits everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Heres the users response after experimenting with placement and angles like Jon and Buford suggested. Since you left that out. That user also posted photos of his room and made the comment he liked the PSB bookshelfs better as far as imaging and soundstage. Jon Lane made some suggestions to improve the soundstage and now the OP is happy and is even comparing the A1b to 2.5X expensive speakers.

Thank you GT for making my point. Ribbons are fussy and jon explained how to fix that . Why would i need to share the other posters response it had no relevance,all that mattered was the info needed to cure the problem.
post #63 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

Why are you bringing up axioms again, this thread is about speakers with ribbon tweeters pathetic the way you keep attacking axioms when i am making valid points. So Rustolium didnt like his axioms hopefully he found something he did like i am ok with that. At least he doesnt go on incessantly about them. No one speaker suits everyone.

Your the one constantly mentioning Arx in this Martin Logan thread. He has every right to say whatever he wants and so do I and so do you. I just hope someone who only reads Rustoliums review takes what he said and runs with it and makes Axiom equal low fidelity and just incohesive mess. Would be similar to what you are doing, with Arx.

Quote:

Thank you GT for making my point. Ribbons are fussy and jon explained how to fix that . Why would i need to share the other posters response it had no relevance,all that mattered was the info needed to cure the problem.

You trying to make the point that taking time to set up ribbons EQUALS narrow small sweetspot. How about you actually listen to the speakers before jumping to conclusions. You know same way its not right to suggest all metal dome tweeters are bright.

Taking time to setup speakers doesn't equal narrow and small soundstage. That poster took advice and is now more than pleased with his speakers and has said the soundstage has opened up and is much better, which is the exact opposite of what your trying to prove that its small and narrow.
post #64 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your the one constantly mentioning Arx in this Martin Logan thread. He has every right to say whatever he wants and so do I and so do you. I just hope someone who only reads Rustoliums review takes what he said and runs with it and makes Axiom equal low fidelity and just incohesive mess. Would be similar to what you are doing, with Arx.
You trying to make the point that taking time to set up ribbons EQUALS narrow small sweetspot. How about you actually listen to the speakers before jumping to conclusions. You know same way its not right to suggest all metal dome tweeters are bright.

Taking time to setup speakers doesn't equal narrow and small soundstage. That poster took advice and is now more than pleased with his speakers and has said the soundstage has opened up and is much better, which is the exact opposite of what your trying to prove that its small and narrow.

You are the one that brought ARX into the discussion, you opened that door. Since ARX uses what some would consider upscale ribbons and information was handy right here on sight I felt it prudent to share how to properly set up speakers with ribbons. None of the words I quoted were mine, I have not said anything derogatory about ARX in this discussion. And FWIW looked into buying a set of ARX bookshelf to put side by side with my M2's but it was cost prohibitive. I do not have anything against ARX despite what you think,yet you keep going at me about AXIOM like I am somehow responsible for their product. They have lots of happy customers. I have tried to find used AXIOMS and lo and behold there is nothing available. IF you like I can share again your raving reviews about AXIOM ???

Here is the breakdown.

A1b - 299.00 US
Shipping 155.00 US
_________

GST 22.75
_______

Duty 60.00 apprx
________
536.00 plus exchange

My axioms were 338,00
tax 16.90
_________
Free shipping anywhere in North America

And if I could have done it for 400 I would have , since I could use a set of speakers in my office.

Canada has 40 million people roughly, and California has roughly the same, the population of the USA is 313 million (holy smoke ) and you found one person other than you who doesn't like AXIOM , congratulations.
post #65 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Your first post was based on what you read from the AVS GTG. About what was said about the Arx A5 and so you decided to label "RIBBONS" as narrow thats where I decided to chime in as well as Nethawk.

As far as Axiom vs Arx and the prices? Well the A1b is definitely an M22 competitor and not the M2 or M3 (hybrid of M3 and M22). Don't forget Axiom doesn't use premium high end components in there speakers. Arx use xbl2 woofer with lots of copper, heavy cast frames (mini subwoofer)massive motors, air cores and premium caps for crossovers. At least 20hrz or more deeper extension and a tweeter that costs almost 4X the price of the Axiom tweeter (Parts-Express) as well as woofers that are probably 2x the price of typical similar priced speakers.

I have the smaller A1 and had M2s and the M2 had only effieciency and nothing else. It couldn't come close to the output, bass, impact and dynamics that the Arx did. The newer A1b is a larger cabinet 10hrz deeper bass and more efficient so the M2 hasn't got a chance. M22 maybe except for bass extension.
post #66 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Your first post was based on what you read from the AVS GTG. <<< How is it you came to this conclusion. Are you now claiming to be clairvoyant ??? You know nothing about me.

This post had died down to third page , I revived it with a explanation and apology and invited the op back and people started posting here again. But it seems
everytime you arrive you drag this thread sideways and people all go away. I see this happen whenever AXIOM is mention, you show up and the thread goes south.
The thread gets revived and you show up and again it goes sideways. Do you see a theme here. Your defensive and it really sad that the only way you can prop yourself
up is by attacking other people and their personal choices. Anyway , I have nothing more to say with regards to you incessant whining except to say that when you read any of my posts please refer to
my avatar. You are now on my block list so rant on.

Peace.
post #67 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

I would suggest experimenting with your toe-in angle to find the right balance between imaging and soundstage. I have found that many speakers have a good balance when they are toed-in to the point where, if you were to draw a straight line out from the speakers, they would cross just a little bit behind you.
+1, but this advice doesn't apply to just ribbons or planars, it applies to all speakers irrespective of the tweeter design.
BufordTJustice likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #68 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
As I've already stated, I toed-in my audio only domes as described above but with no tilt. It made no difference to the sound in my room but as I said, it looks cool.

As for my HT, they fire straight ahead & not tilted up. For me, this is preferable as they provide more uniform dispersion (although not perfect due to off axis characteristics) throughout multiple seating positions - some off axis.

From what I've been reading on the net since the first of the year, several people in unrelated threads have noticed that their sound was not up to their expectations with their ribbons This is a rather new phenomena to me as I hadn't come across this subject before.

I can only assume from what I've read is that most domes are probably more forgiving in placement & require less tweaking to get them right - at least that's the experience that I've had with mine...

TAM
post #69 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

I for one am still looking forward to some pics of the house. A bad room can kill even the most expensive speaker and good room can make a mediocre speaker sound quite good. A lot of time and money has been invested in room correction software. Alas software can only do so much , physically treating a room is ideal. Doing it in to dedicated theater can be easier than your living room since it can be difficult to impossible to meet WAF. There are companies like Cinema Shop that can print family photo's or vacation photo's for example on to material used over their room treatments, which sounds quite appealing.

Diego ____They seem to be a bit better, I haven't had the chance to tweek/calibrate the speakers yet so I can't say with certainty. The place I used to live had a much smaller living room than what I have now. I can attach some photos later and everyone can take a look to see

This statement has me wondering, what receiver you are using and whether it has room correction. Have you run the room correction software since moving. I found that when running Audyssey its really important of follow instructions to the letter. Batpig has a really good walkthrough that helped me get some traction when I first started out.. It took a few tries to get the correction the way I like it. Any movement of your speakers requires rerunning room correction. This is all strictly based solely on my experience only and is just my opinion. Some people poopoo room correction, let your ears be your guide.

Richard
post #70 of 71 Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I for one am still looking forward to some pics of the house. A bad room can kill even the most expensive speaker and good room can make a mediocre speaker sound quite good. A lot of time and money has been invested in room correction software. Alas software can only do so much , physically treating a room is ideal. Doing it in to dedicated theater can be easier than your living room since it can be difficult to impossible to meet WAF. There are companies like Cinema Shop that can print family photo's or vacation photo's for example on to material used over their room treatments, which sounds quite appealing.

Diego ____They seem to be a bit better, I haven't had the chance to tweek/calibrate the speakers yet so I can't say with certainty. The place I used to live had a much smaller living room than what I have now. I can attach some photos later and everyone can take a look to see

This statement has me wondering, what receiver you are using and whether it has room correction. Have you run the room correction software since moving. I found that when running Audyssey its really important of follow instructions to the letter. Batpig has a really good walkthrough that helped me get some traction when I first started out.. It took a few tries to get the correction the way I like it. Any movement of your speakers requires rerunning room correction. This is all strictly based solely on my experience only and is just my opinion. Some people poopoo room correction, let your ears be your guide.

Richard

When I get home tonight ill post some pictures of the room i'm working with. I will also post more details about my system. Maybe you can help with some insight.
post #71 of 71 Old 07-01-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
^^ Glad to see you back Diego, sometimes the family squabbles run people away. biggrin.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 822 K 400w 5 Channel A V Receiver Network Ready Pandora Ipod Iphone Black , Martinlogan Motion 10 Floorstanding Speaker
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page