Newb putting together 7.1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I'm a newb putting together my entertainment room. Ordered a BenQ w1070 to be projected on a 106" Jamestown screen. Now working on the surround. I'm on a small budget for my intro level system. I bought a Yamaha RX-V575 Receiver. Has 3D pass through, is 7.1, and has 5 HDMI in ports. Can support 4K displays (doesn't help me now, just trying to somewhat future proof things where I can).
After all that, I have about $1500 left for speakers/sub. I realize this isn't much, but was hoping you all could suggest some specific speakers for my 7.1 surround system. I know nothing about this so any suggestions are helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp86 View Post

Hey everyone, I'm a newb putting together my entertainment room. Ordered a BenQ w1070 to be projected on a 106" Jamestown screen. Now working on the surround. I'm on a small budget for my intro level system. I bought a Yamaha RX-V575 Receiver. Has 3D pass through, is 7.1, and has 5 HDMI in ports. Can support 4K displays (doesn't help me now, just trying to somewhat future proof things where I can).
After all that, I have about $1500 left for speakers/sub. I realize this isn't much, but was hoping you all could suggest some specific speakers for my 7.1 surround system. I know nothing about this so any suggestions are helpful!
I agree about starting with a 5.1 system.

Not that much source material for 7.1 out there.

Also, how big is your room and how much of what type of material will you be listening to?

Thanks.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked: 16
Ascends are the go to 5.1 set in this price range. However, I'll throw another choice out there. The Wharfedale DX-1 HCP can be found for under $500. Add in a Power Sound Audio XS-30 and you're at $1650. Sell the Wharfedale sub for $50-$100, or use it in a secondary system. Don't be fooled by the Wharfedale's price/size/HTiB-esque packaging. The speakers are based on the Diamond Series which cost more and sound awesome in their price range. So the DX-1 HCP is a relative bargain. The sub that it comes with however, is not a subwoofer. It's a toy. That's where the PSA XS-30 comes in. This system will give you much more slam than the Ascend with SVS. If you want it to play it safe the Ascend package recommended above is good, but the SVS subwoofer may leave you wanting. The Wharfedale and PSA setup will be easier to upgrade down the road. You can just replace the speakers and keep the monster sub.

Main
Selah Prestigio Dual Epik Empires
Desk
GR Research N2x BIC F12 Ultrasone Pro 650 Velodyne vpulse
TV
Wharfedale 9.6
post #4 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 515
7.1 can be done well close to that budget. Here is a suggestion: go for the Hsu 'Hybrid 2' 3.1 package for a subwoofer and front stage speakers. Get four of these Behringer 2030p speakers for the surrounds. Total cost after shipping is under $1550. You get a great sub, powerful front stage speakers, and terrific surround speakers. I think this speaker set would be a bit more balanced than the above suggestions, whereby you end up with either a weak sub or weak speakers. If you need mounts for the surround speakers, the very best bang-for-the-buck mounts are the Videosecu Side-clamping speaker mounts. You can not beat those mounts for anywhere near that price.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

I agree about starting with a 5.1 system.

Not that much source material for 7.1 out there.

Also, how big is your room and how much of what type of material will you be listening to?

Thanks.

The room is 14'x23' and will predominantly be used for movies/sporting events and occasional gaming (if I can play on a 106" screen without wanting to puke all over the place). Want a system that will have some good sound during action movies, etc. I had thought about starting at 5.1 (and haven't ruled it out), but think I will maybe at least get good 5.1 speakers and mediocre rear surround speakers that I can upgrade later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

7.1 can be done well close to that budget. Here is a suggestion: go for the Hsu 'Hybrid 2' 3.1 package for a subwoofer and front stage speakers. Get four of these Behringer 2030p speakers for the surrounds. Total cost after shipping is under $1550. You get a great sub, powerful front stage speakers, and terrific surround speakers. I think this speaker set would be a bit more balanced than the above suggestions, whereby you end up with either a weak sub or weak speakers. If you need mounts for the surround speakers, the very best bang-for-the-buck mounts are the Videosecu Side-clamping speaker mounts. You can not beat those mounts for anywhere near that price.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely be looking into this setup. The speaker mounts look great. My 2 rear speakers will be mounted from the ceiling about 5 ft behind the listener and aimed back down at the listener. Would those mounts work for that as well or does anyone know of a good ceiling mount for those two speakers?
post #6 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely be looking into this setup. The speaker mounts look great. My 2 rear speakers will be mounted from the ceiling about 5 ft behind the listener and aimed back down at the listener. Would those mounts work for that as well or does anyone know of a good ceiling mount for those two speakers?
That mount might work on the ceiling. Obviously you need to affix it to a ceiling joist. You would need to use the screw holes in them to screw the speakers in, as I wouldn't trust the clamps alone to hold them up against gravity. The clamps would have to hold the speakers from the upper rear panel. Adjusting its position in that orientation would be tricky. Like I said, it might work, but don't hold be to that.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The room is 14'x23' and will predominantly be used for movies/sporting events and occasional gaming (if I can play on a 106" screen without wanting to puke all over the place). Want a system that will have some good sound during action movies, etc. I had thought about starting at 5.1 (and haven't ruled it out), but think I will maybe at least get good 5.1 speakers and mediocre rear surround speakers that I can upgrade later on.

For a room that size a Primus system might be a good fit. If you live near a Fry's, you can find the Primus P363 for fronts on sale fairly frequently for a bit over $100. Then a PC351 for a center and a pair of P163's for the rears. Even if you are not near a Fry's, Amazon and Crutchfield frequently put the P163 on sale for $86 (or less) and the PC351 and the P363 for $200.
http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/primus.html

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=primus+speaker

Then a Powersound sub:
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x

If you live near a Fry's, you can get all the Primus speakers on sale for plus the sub from Powersound for less than $1300 before taxes. If you have to buy Primus speakers from Crutchfield or Amazon when they are on sale, this package would a bit less than $1600, maybe $1500 if you buy some open box units from Crutchfield.

This is just one idea and there are definitely others.

But I do think a system like this would fill your room pretty well.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

+1 on Hsu all around.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 05:47 AM

Liked: 16
Ok, the hsu + behringer combo is probably the best recommendation here if you dont plan on upgrading for a long time. But that hsu sub will be weak if you watch action movies. Maybe you should even go for the ported psa sub just to be sure you won't get buyer's remorse. It's much easier to upgrade small bookshelf speaker than a sub..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Main
Selah Prestigio Dual Epik Empires
Desk
GR Research N2x BIC F12 Ultrasone Pro 650 Velodyne vpulse
TV
Wharfedale 9.6
post #10 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
OP if you can swing it just get the HSU Hybrid 2 7.1 system. Then as money allows maybe add a 2nd VTF2-MK4.

Shawn
post #11 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz View Post

Ok, the hsu + behringer combo is probably the best recommendation here if you dont plan on upgrading for a long time. But that hsu sub will be weak if you watch action movies. Maybe you should even go for the ported psa sub just to be sure you won't get buyer's remorse. It's much easier to upgrade small bookshelf speaker than a sub..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If I went in and separately bought the 2 HSU bookshelf speakers and HSU center speaker plus the 4 Behringer speakers for the surround, it comes out to $1026.98 after shipping. What sub would you all recommend to add to that?
post #12 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Funny, I would be looking to HSU for the subs, but probably not for speakers.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Funny, I would be looking to HSU for the subs, but probably not for speakers.

Why would you NOT go for Hsu speakers? Have you heard them? There are nothing but positive reviews about them. I have them myself and they are better than Ascends and Energy hands down for home theatre.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

You get a discount if you buy a Hsu speaker/sub package. Go for a Hsu VTF2 sub in the Hybrid 2 package, it is a very good one. You would be hard pressed to find anything better for the money. The only comparable subs at that price are the Outlaw Plus and the Rythmik Fv12.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have a suggestion on a ceiling mount that would hold up the Behringer 2030p speakers?
post #16 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Getting ready to buy some speakers finally. I've decided to go with the HSU Research Hybrid 2-3.1 package for the front speakers and sub. Was considering the Behringer 2030p for the 4 surround speakers. However, due to this awesome power sectional I just bought for the room, it only leaves a small walkway to get by it in the basement and happens to be right where one of the side speakers is going to be. People will have to try to avoid running into the speaker as it will be wall mounted and is quite large.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a smaller sized speaker of similar quality to the Behringer 2030p near the same price?
post #17 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Small, high quality speakers for cheap is kind of a tall order. You might try these Infinity Primus p143, they are small and should be able to work as surrounds. I think they have keyholes in the back too, for easy mounting. However, you would really want to angle them to face the listening position.
post #18 of 24 Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I would go for something like the JBL L810 It is shallow and would work well for a surround speaker.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #19 of 24 Old 07-19-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I will check into these options.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Guys, if the OP could look into Dipole/Bipole speakers, what about these level 2? http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Surround_2

They are the cheapest I have found with dipole/bipole option.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
post #21 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

I have a feeling I know the answer to this, but what about the Orb audio Mod1 for the 4 satellite speakers? Would those be good surround speakers if you have a good sub? They certainly would meet the small size I was looking for and are in my price range.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-26-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Continuing on with newb questions: I need to buy banana plugs for my speaker wire. Are there particular ones I need to go into the back of the receiver and into the back of the speakers? Does it vary based on different units or is it universal?
post #23 of 24 Old 07-27-2013, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Getting ready to buy some speakers finally. I've decided to go with the HSU Research Hybrid 2-3.1 package for the front speakers and sub. Was considering the Behringer 2030p for the 4 surround speakers. However, due to this awesome power sectional I just bought for the room, it only leaves a small walkway to get by it in the basement and happens to be right where one of the side speakers is going to be. People will have to try to avoid running into the speaker as it will be wall mounted and is quite large.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a smaller sized speaker of similar quality to the Behringer 2030p near the same price?
Quote:

I have a feeling I know the answer to this, but what about the Orb audio Mod1 for the 4 satellite speakers? Would those be good surround speakers if you have a good sub? They certainly would meet the small size I was looking for and are in my price range.

I don't know much about these NHT speakers but these might be an option:

http://www.nhthifi.com/Verve-Small?sc=12&category=2528
jp86 likes this.
post #24 of 24 Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

I don't know much about these NHT speakers but these might be an option:

http://www.nhthifi.com/Verve-Small?sc=12&category=2528

Yeah, I had been considering those speakers. I also was looking at the NHT SuperZero 2.0 speakers for the surround speakers. They have decent reviews and are very affordable.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page