Former Klipsch Owner needs new Klipsch speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Forum Members!

I am a former Klipsch owner. Former because my RF-5's and RC-52 were destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. Many moons ago, I had a pair of original Heresy's that I sold for a pair of Polk RTA 12Cs which after years of missing the sound of my Heresy's I sold the Polks and bought the RF-5's. Eventually, I supplemented the bass with a HSU VTF-3.

Now I am ready to buy a new set of speakers. I am partial to floor standing speakers obviously, but to satisfy the WAF I am considering "bookshelf" size speakers. I contend that bookshelf speakers on stands take up the same floor space as floor standing speakers do, but for the sake of argument, I have several questions to ask.

So, given the fact that I had RF-5's for so many years, which current RF speaker would you all suggest to replace the RF-5? And, which RB speaker would be equivalent in sound quality and timbre to the RF-5 or any RF equivalent? Keep in mind that I will include a sub in any system I put together.

Do you really need the extra speakers and size of a RF if you have a sub? I mean, I set my RF-5 speakers on my Denon Reciever to small so there would not be any signal below 80hz coming out of the RF-5's anyway.

So if I were to put a RF system together, I'd want either RF-82II or RF-62II for floor standing fronts
or
a RB-81II or RB-61II for "bookshelf" fronts. They'd be on stands anyway. Since Klipsch doesn't sell stands, what would be the best stand for these and where can I get them?

Center channel would be at least a RC-62II. After having the RC-52 with the RF-5, I couldn't quite hear dialog as well as I think I should have. It didn't sound bad, but I thought I could do better (I could be my tired old ears too). Maybe the RC-52II is a better speaker than the original RC-52?

For surrounds which I never had before, I am considering the RS-52II. I'd look at the RS-42II, but a salesman in a store just shook his head no when I mentioned it to him. He said I had to get at least the RS-52II or RS-62II. Is that a valid point?

I'm only going 5.1 I just don't have the room for more.

As for a sub, I'd consider the SW-12D that's always available at Newegg for a very good price. I'd also consider a HSU to replace the one I lost.

The main question is: would a RB-81II or RB-61II make me as happy as a RF-82II or RF-62II?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I'm open to anything as long as it's Klipsch!

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 614
I would say the choice between tower Reference speakers and bookshelf Reference speakers should be determined by how loud you like to listen to stuff. If you just like really really loud, go for the bookshelf speakers (I would go with the RB-81s). If you like crazy loud, go for the towers, as two woofers ought to offer louder mids than a single woofer. The extra bass extension on the towers won't matter since you are using a subwoofer. Speaking of subs, you will want something beefy that can keep up with Klipsch. You might go for a Hsu VTF15h, it's big but it will have no problem keeping up and will be an upgrade over your previous VTF3. Something else you might think about is getting two VTF2 mk4s, that will give you better room coverage and a more even bass sound. The VTF3 is a great sub too, and is on sale right now with a $50 discount. Klipsch has a beefy and affordable sub as well with the Sw-115, you might inquire about that one.

As for surround speakers, I would skip bipoles like the RS series. In my opinion, monopoles are better for that task and are cheaper as well. I would go for some RB-51s. If you wanted to save some money you could also use the Hsu HB-1 speakers for surround duty, if you can bear the thought of a non-Klipsch speaker. For a mount for bookshelf speakers, go for some Videosecu side-clamping mounts, these are easily the best bookshelf speaker mounts at anywhere near their price.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks shadyJ.

As for surrounds, my seating arrangement is not optimal. The right surround will be far enough away from any seating position that a monopole would suffice, but the left surround will practically be on top of the three seating positions. I thought I had to get a bipole to properly disperse the sound. OTOH, if I mounted a monopole on the kind of bracket you mention, then I might be able to angle it enough to face the seating positions for decent sound disbursement.

I've been looking at the Hsu HB-1 MK2 and wondering if it can match or keep up with any Klipsch I buy or even get HB-1's instead of Klipsch's (true heresy!). Does anyone have any experience with the Hsu HB-1's?

Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

In your seating arrangement , it might make more sense to go with bipole type surrounds. I have heard the Hsu speakers (own em), and they aren't that much like the Klipsch. They have good dynamics and controlled directivity like the Klispch, but their highs aren't nearly as bright. However, for surround speakers, it doesn't make as much of a difference, since surrounds hardly ever do music or dialogue. Surrounds are pretty much relegated to effects sounds and ambient noise. This being the case, I would want a relatively sensitive speaker for that, as there is no sense in having a speaker drawing a lot of energy from the amp for this unimportant role. I also don't think there is much sense in spending a lot of money for speakers for this unimportant role as well.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

So does anyone have any suggestion about an equivalent Klipsch speaker to the RF-5?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The current Klipsch equivalent of the RF-5 is the RF-82 II.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 159
If you need bookshelf, the RB-81 or the older RB-75 would work great. I've owned the RB-75's and they have a really huge sound for bookshelf speakers. Paired with a sub and they rock. The RF-82 are a great bang for your buck and would be somewhat similar to the RF-5's although most guys in the Klipsch forum would probably say they prefer the RF-5's over the RF-82's. Best wishes with your search.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Main difference is the Rf-82 use vinyl and the rf-5 used real wood vaneer. The 5s are a nice speaker top to bottom but the drivers are very similar. Have you tried to look for used rf-5?

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #9 of 9 Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 257
You could look for used RF-5 or even used Heresy and get back to your true origins. The Heresy is better adapted to modern times now that bass management is available.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page