Need help with placing in-room speakers to deal with WAF - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hardly a unique problem, but one which I am sure some of you folks will be able to help me with. I am building a new home and will have a dedicated media room, which is not as formal as a dedicated home theater, but not as informal as a living room. The room is approximately 14'x15'. I own some very nice NHT speakers for my left, right and center channel audio, (8-1/2 inches deept and about 4-1/2 inches wide) and also have 2 NHT Sub-1 subwoofers which really give punch to the sound. I am building a small, (3'x2') yet functional media closet adjacent to the media room, to house all the equipment in a rack,as well as to have a cabinet for all my phone and data inputs. My dilemma is that my wife does not want the speakes on stands, or just slapped on the wall on either side of the TV and under it. So, what I am looking for is a solution that allows me to use my very nice NHT speakers and avoid purchasing in-wall speakers for the L, R and Center channel sound, but will not upset the aesthetics of the room. One idea was to build out some sort of soffits or bump-outs on the TV wall to house the speakers, which could then be covered with mesh or some other paintable material. Another possible solution would have me inset the speakers flush with the wall, and have the rear sticking out into my media closet. I am not real thrilled with that solution though. Any suggestions? Also, I would like any advice on precisely where, in relation to the TV and my seating area, would be the best place for my speakers and subwoofers (which I can have in the room.)

The TV will be mounted on an otherwise blank wall, and we will want another set of speakers either as surrounds located in the back 2/3 of the room, or as in-wall speakers on the back wall. Any suggestions on which one of these 2 options are preferable? Thanks for any sage advice anyone out there may have to deal with the WAF issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
... The room is approximately 14'x15'. I own some very nice NHT speakers for my left, right and center channel audio ... My dilemma is that my wife does not want the speakes on stands, or just slapped on the wall on either side of the TV and under it. ... Any suggestions?
- Get an extra long console table for your existing front three speakers.
- Replace your mains with towers, and get a regular-length console table for the CC speaker.
- Ask your wife to come up with a few reasonable / workable options options.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm thinking you might need to go to in-walls. I'd also recommend having a serious talk with your wife and see if you can negotiate having control of just this one room of the house so you can use your existing speakers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page