Klipsch Reference or Synergy for a small room? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
blue13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi guys.

I have a small 5 by 5 meter listening area where I have a klipsch Quintet 5 with sub. For movies its more than enough, but for music its lacking.

Thats why I thought rhat considering the size and price an f-20 or f-30 synergy based system would be more than enough for music.

Now I can also get an rf42 system for a just a bit more. But on the other hand Im thinking that the bigger cones of the f-20 or f30 would be better than the rf-42.

Option 3 would be to save up for a rf52 rf-62 but would it make sense for such a small space? And the price would go up significantly. Just dont want to over spend for such a small area. But the emphasis is on music. Just also noticed that the recommended rs-52 are huge which would also look weird innsuch a small space.

So basically I have a 5by5 meter area for movies/music in an appartment and have a 5007 marantz receiver. Should the f-20/30 be enough or an rf-42? Would an even high rf-52/62make any sense?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note II
blue13x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
How about going with the reference series bookshelves instead? You could get the RB-51 and RC-52, matched with a good sub it will sound just as good at the larger towers. The Klipsch reference series is much better than the Synergy line, I would definitely wait and save up for that. With the money saved from going with bookshelves instead, put that towards a better sub.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
blue13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

How about going with the reference series bookshelves instead? You could get the RB-51 and RC-52, matched with a good sub it will sound just as good at the larger towers. The Klipsch reference series is much better than the Synergy line, I would definitely wait and save up for that. With the money saved from going with bookshelves instead, put that towards a better sub.

Hi thanks.

Im aware that the rf is more detailed.
But detailed enough to notice in a small listening area?
Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note II
blue13x is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Shady195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If your not a complete audiohpile I'd get the synergy F-30's

A friend of mine has a complete F-30 setup and I must say it sounds pretty good. I personally don't like Klipsh due to the horn style tweeter, not going to go into to much detail aside from that but his F-30's have quite a lot of bass, i was actually quite impresed. They sound clear, have a lot of detail and can get quite loud with no distortion (I have personally witnessed him crank them up almost all the way and had his Denon reciever shut down before they ever broke up LOL)

I have also heart the RF-52 or 62, to be honest I don't recall which one it was..

Spent a littel bit of time with them when I was speaker shopping. Now granted i did not hear them Side by side for an A-B comparasion.. but I hardly could pick out a difference. I would say maybe the reference is a bit cleaner sounding.. based on that even myself if I wanted to save some cash I'd just get teh F-30's.. I think you'd be quite happy saving the cash and getting the F-30's.. they are great sounding speakers my own dislikes of the horn tweeter aside. They are clear, get loud and so long as you have a semi-decent reciever they won't distort on you.

I personally don't think there was a distinct enough difference to warrant the extra money but thats just me.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Shady195 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Room size has nothing to do with speaker clarity, and honestly, a 15'x15' room isn't all that small. Bookshelves + sub offer great value. I would say get the reference bookshelves versus the synergy towers, use the extra money to get a better sub.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,504
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 288
The Synergy line is the cheapest they make and it sounds like it; not good.

I suggest that you read the article in the current Stereophile magazine regarding the Pioneer BS-22 speakers.

They are incredibly good-sounding speakers for a price that is amazingly low.

You can buy four of the BS-22 speakers at Amazon for only $220 TOTAL and the CS-22 center speaker for around $150.

The article compared these speakers with some very good ones that cost 3 TIMES as much, and they sounded nearly as good.

They should be perfect for your situation, and a sound a LOT better than any Klipsch speakers you can buy for under $800.
commsysman is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
There is a thread in here where a guy was comparing the Pioneers to the Klipsch Reference series and ended up going with the Klipsch. They are two totally different sounds, so make sure you listen first (Best Buy carries both I believe).

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Shady195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I apolgoize my friend has the Icons KF-28 not the Synergys..

I cannot comment on the Synergys as I have not heard them


However my statement still rings true in regards to the Icons.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Shady195 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
blue13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

If your not a complete audiohpile I'd get the synergy F-30's

A friend of mine has a complete F-30 setup and I must say it sounds pretty good. I personally don't like Klipsh due to the horn style tweeter, not going to go into to much detail aside from that but his F-30's have quite a lot of bass, i was actually quite impresed. They sound clear, have a lot of detail and can get quite loud with no distortion (I have personally witnessed him crank them up almost all the way and had his Denon reciever shut down before they ever broke up LOL)

I have also heart the RF-52 or 62, to be honest I don't recall which one it was..

Spent a littel bit of time with them when I was speaker shopping. Now granted i did not hear them Side by side for an A-B comparasion.. but I hardly could pick out a difference. I would say maybe the reference is a bit cleaner sounding.. based on that even myself if I wanted to save some cash I'd just get teh F-30's.. I think you'd be quite happy saving the cash and getting the F-30's.. they are great sounding speakers my own dislikes of the horn tweeter aside. They are clear, get loud and so long as you have a semi-decent reciever they won't distort on you.

I personally don't think there was a distinct enough difference to warrant the extra money but thats just me.

You pretty much said what I was thinking. It seems everybody is quick to tell you to buy the Reference line. But I have a feeling that the difference is minimal and only when you have very good DVD-Audio recordings.
blue13x is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
blue13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Room size has nothing to do with speaker clarity, and honestly, a 15'x15' room isn't all that small. Bookshelves + sub offer great value. I would say get the reference bookshelves versus the synergy towers, use the extra money to get a better sub.

That's the other option I thought about. But a good quality reference bookshelf requires HUGE rears and an expensive center. In that case its almost better to go full tower.
blue13x is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Shady195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

You pretty much said what I was thinking. It seems everybody is quick to tell you to buy the Reference line. But I have a feeling that the difference is minimal and only when you have very good DVD-Audio recordings.

Keep in mind my post above.. I was incorrect as it was the Icons my friend has that I've listened to not the SYnergys.

I don't think the price difference between them is that much these days though

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Shady195 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 9,872
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 796
The Reference line uses lighter stiffer cones and more powerful motors, compared to the Synergy line. For the small price difference, I would go with the Reference line.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

That's the other option I thought about. But a good quality reference bookshelf requires HUGE rears and an expensive center. In that case its almost better to go full tower.

I am not sure what you mean by this? You would use the same center with either bookshelves or towers, and the surround speakers are irrelevant. The reference towers will play lower, but if you have a sub and a crossover set, the lower extension of the towers becomes wasted.

You can get the Reference bookshelf system for about the same price as the Synergies, and it will sound better.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flickhtguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

Hi guys.

I have a small 5 by 5 meter listening area where I have a klipsch Quintet 5 with sub. For movies its more than enough, but for music its lacking.

Thats why I thought rhat considering the size and price an f-20 or f-30 synergy based system would be more than enough for music.

Now I can also get an rf42 system for a just a bit more. But on the other hand Im thinking that the bigger cones of the f-20 or f30 would be better than the rf-42.

Option 3 would be to save up for a rf52 rf-62 but would it make sense for such a small space? And the price would go up significantly. Just dont want to over spend for such a small area. But the emphasis is on music. Just also noticed that the recommended rs-52 are huge which would also look weird innsuch a small space.

So basically I have a 5by5 meter area for movies/music in an appartment and have a 5007 marantz receiver. Should the f-20/30 be enough or an rf-42? Would an even high rf-52/62make any sense?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note II

You may want to look into the BIC America Formula Series speakers or the BIC Acoustech Platinum Series speakers. They sound great for the price and are way cheaper than the Klipsch. acousticsounddesign.com has great deals on them.

Shawn
flickhtguru is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 12-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Robbiey60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

Hi guys.

I have a small 5 by 5 meter listening area where I have a klipsch Quintet 5 with sub. For movies its more than enough, but for music its lacking.

Thats why I thought rhat considering the size and price an f-20 or f-30 synergy based system would be more than enough for music.

Now I can also get an rf42 system for a just a bit more. But on the other hand Im thinking that the bigger cones of the f-20 or f30 would be better than the rf-42.

Option 3 would be to save up for a rf52 rf-62 but would it make sense for such a small space? And the price would go up significantly. Just dont want to over spend for such a small area. But the emphasis is on music. Just also noticed that the recommended rs-52 are huge which would also look weird innsuch a small space.

So basically I have a 5by5 meter area for movies/music in an appartment and have a 5007 marantz receiver. Should the f-20/30 be enough or an rf-42? Would an even high rf-52/62make any sense?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note II
Get the best you can possibly afford. If you can only afford synergy get the f30. Really good speaker for everything. If you go reference get at least rf62ii, the others are too small compared to the f30. I own f30 and rf82ii. The reference are better, but the synergy arent far behind(for these 2 floorstanders only) I started with f30 as mains, then upgraded to 82ii.

(2)RF-83 (1)RC-64ii (2)RF-82ii (2)RC-62ii
(2)Exodus audio tempest-x 15" subs in 200l sealed enclosures
Onkyo 705 pre/pro and rear surrounds
DSPeaker Antimode 8033 sub eq Behringer EP4000 subs
NAD C275BEE mains
AMC 2N100-3 surrounds and center
Robbiey60 is online now  
post #16 of 16 Old 12-07-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,707
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 262
The thread dates from last June. The OP must have bought his speakers by now!

He has RF82II and RC-62 II as front three:

Robbiey60 likes this.

psgcdn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off