Help me choose between BIC Acoustech or Klipsch Home Theater Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at either the Klipsch or Bic home theater speakers that are about the same price.

BIC Acoustech PL-89II Theater System with PL-200 with BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black)
or the
Klipsch RF-42II Home Theater Bundle-FREE BIC Acoustech PL-200 with Klipsch RB-41 II Bookshelf Speaker - Black - Pair

For a recever, I had been looking at the Denon AVR-2313CI or the Pioneer SC-1222-K . Are these suitable for those speakers? Im trying to stay under $2000.

I thought it would be easy, but all of the speaker and receiver options are blowing my mind! Would either of these receivers and speakers be a good combination? Thanks in advance!

My last system was an old Sony theater in a box, so I haven't bought a receiver and speakers separately before. Am I on the right track?? I guess either one would be far superior to what I was considering Onkyo HT-S9400THX 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speak​er Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 449
I would skip both packages and get some good bookshelf speakers with a good sub. With tower speakers, you are paying for bass extension that you just won't be using if you set your subwoofer up correctly, so if you want better bass, get a bookshelf speaker front stage instead, and put that saved money toward a better sub. In my opinion a package like this would be a lot more logical, because the sub is so much better. klipsch makes some great bookshelf speakers as well but I would go with some RB-51s or RB-61s at least.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input shadyJ.

I came across that package in my research but for the same money I thought the others with nice floor standing speakers with surround speakers and bookshelfs as the back surround would be better.

Reviews on the bic pl200 were great. Why would 6 bookshelf shelf speakers be better than 2 floor, 2 surround and 2 bs as the rear?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-22-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefton View Post

Reviews on the bic pl200 were great. Why would 6 bookshelf shelf speakers be better than 2 floor, 2 surround and 2 bs as the rear?
It would be better simply because the sub is much better. Also, mixing surround speakers with bookshelf speakers nearly defeats the point of bipole surrounds. Bipole surrounds are meant to project a vague sound stage, so whatever else you throw back in a surround sound stage is just going to get smeared away by the bipoles. I would go with either two bipoles or four bookshelf speakers, as mixing the two doesn't make a lot of sense.

As for the tower speakers vs the bookshelf speakers, like I said, the big advantage towers have over bookshelf speakers is deeper bass extension. However, when you set your system, you will probably be crossing the sound over to your sub at 80 hz, which takes away the bass advantage that tower speakers enjoy over bookshelfs. At that point. what makes a difference is the subwoofers, and the VTF2 will be much better than the PL200, trust me on that.

By the way, I htink the Hsu speakers might be a bit overkill for surround speakers. What you might do is use the Hsus as front stage speakers, but save some money and get some of these Behinrger 2030p speakers as surrounds. They would serve terrifically as surround speakers and save you a couple hundred dollars to hot a full 7.1 system. The mounts to get are the Videosecu side-clamping mounts, they are by far the best mounts at their price. Not many other mounts are rated to hold as much weight, and those that do require you to drill holes in your speakers, which the Videosecus do not.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-22-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:

I came across that package in my research but for the same money I thought the others with nice floor standing speakers with surround speakers and bookshelfs as the back surround would be better.

If you have a good sub and use it with proper bass management, much if not all of the difference between a floor stander and a bookshelf is erased by the configuration. The usual crossover cutoff at 80 Hz or so essentially turns off the floorstander below this frequency.

I have a nice pair of floorstanders, but to be honest because I have a good subwoofer and my AVR has good bass management, their floorstanding part mostly acts as a speaker stand.

There is also usually no need to timbre match subwoofers and the rest of the system, so you can mix and match subwoofers and the balance of the system from different manufacturers.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-22-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Unless you have a big room and can set them up properly, going with 7.1 may not result in any appreciable sound quality benefits over 5.1.

With a $2000 budget, I recommend looking into the Ascend Acoustics CMT-350 SE mini towers. A pair of those with matching center and then Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE bookshelves for rears will run you $1100 shipped. Pair them with a Klipsch RW-12d when on special at Newegg for $299 or less (see this discussion thread about the RW-12d), and that leaves you plenty for your receiver.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!

I saw this on newegg while looking around MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1 for $299. Are the speakers or systems recommended here going to be tremendously better than the Martin Logan? Seeing the huge price difference, it would save a bunch of money.

I figure these are two different extremes, but can I get good setup for so cheap?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 12
Just curious what you wound up getting and how you like it.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for the advice!

I saw this on newegg while looking around MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1 for $299. Are the speakers or systems recommended here going to be tremendously better than the Martin Logan? Seeing the huge price difference, it would save a bunch of money.

I figure these are two different extremes, but can I get good setup for so cheap?

I have the mlt-2 setup that replaced my Polk rti towers, center and rears. I wanted to go smaller. They did sound great, for small speakers, but I missed the bigger center sound for voices. I have just got the pair for left and right (fh6-lcr) and will be getting the center next month. I'm over-riding the wife, which is why I went small, now I'm going back to big. They still need breaking more, but the voices are fantastic.

Back to the mlt-2, at the current price of $199 on new egg, they are amazing at that price. The sub is worth that much alone.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 AM

Liked: 24
I picked up the pl89-11 system with an extra pair of the same surrounds in the system for just under the asking price of the original system using the make an offer option back in June. It sounds terrific. I had a friend over who's had Paradigm reference active 40s the last few years backed by high end electronics and he was shocked that my 1800 buck system was quite comparable sound-wise to his system that cost him in the low five figures. He chalked it up to advances in technology and a lucky match with the room, I figure they're just darned decent speakers for the money.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:

The bookshelves wouldn't be any better than the floorstanders unless you also invested in a subwoofer and implemented it correctly.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 42 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 42 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page