Newform Research fully acive speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just browsing their site and noticed they're currently offering active versions of their popular models, hypex amps/digital crossovers for under $1000 extra per speaker pair

anybody here ever listen to these? gotta say that the apparent value on these models seems extraordinarily high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nobody?
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

nobody?

Not many folks have owned these speakers so don't expect very many if any replies. I used to own the 1st version of the 645's. I thought they were nice sounding speakers for 2 channel music listening and one of the better ribbons I've heard. There are tweaks you can do but I never got into any of that. I wouldn't recommend them for HT. Certainly not your average looking speaker with the stove pipe look. I'd say they are worth the money if your going to use them for music. Once in a blue moon you'll see a used pair of an older version for sale.

Denon AVR4311CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #4 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

anybody here ever listen to these? gotta say that the apparent value on these models seems extraordinarily high

I own a set of their R630's and absolutely love them. By far my favourite speaker over all the other speakers I own such as Monitor Audio's GX50, PSB Imagine B, Dynaudio DM2/6.

I think their design has a lot of merit. Most ribbon speakers cross a lot higher. Like 2.3 kHz for my GX50's for example. The R630's ribbon plays down to 1 kHz though. Its sheer 30" size allows it to go that low and yet still put out the necessary dB levels. A smaller more conventional ribbon could not put out enough dB level that low down without major distortion. And then the fact it's extremely narrow and more free from baffle bounce. Not to mention the other benefit of 1K and up acting as a line source.

They sound very detailed yet natural and lifelike. Soundstage is wall to wall and very 3D. They have certainly cured my upgradeitis. I can't think of any other speakers I would prefer to be using without going into a substantially higher price range. If I have some money burning a hole in my pocket one day, I may look at upgrading them with the active crossover package.

I have no problem with them performing a HT role as well as for music. I have them crossed at 80hz to subs and use the Monitor Audio GX50's as my side surrounds and a Monitor Audio GX150 center. So long as you can have at least 6 or 7 feet descent from them to your listening position... they don't work as a nearfield speaker.

I do think Newform Research is a very underrated company and would happily recommend them.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-16-2013, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I have recently listened to some other highly regarded speakers and yet nothing still comes close to my Newform Research R630's. Sonus faber's new Venere 1.5, Dynaudio Focus 260, as a couple of examples, left me rather unimpressed in comparison. Which is a good thing because it saves my credit card getting a hammering whenever I audition other speakers now.

And that seems to be a recurring theme amongst owners of the R630's and R645's...

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/newform-research/r630/prd_120260_1594crx.aspx

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/newform-research/r630v2/prd_291497_1594crx.aspx

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/newform-research/r645/prd_120261_1594crx.aspx

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/newform-research/r645v2/prd_291498_1594crx.aspx
post #6 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have ordered a pair of their Pyramid 45s as my mains. These are a departure from their earlier designs in that the ribbon is mounted in front of the woofers and use the oval neo ribbons. May end up using them in phantom center mode which is what they recommend.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Newform Research

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page