Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Helping my friend get new speakers.

Some notes though, we both have the same receiver or had it. It was the HT-RC360. I would recommend the Polk Monitor 70 but I'm hesitant to. I blew my tweeters twice, and I know he likes listening at loud volumes like I do. I hardly think the amplifier in the HT-RC360 will power these speakers. In fact, I know they won't because I blew my tweeters twice haha. They currently run off a Crown XLS1500 now and are never low on power.

Wondering, are there sensitive speakers that would do well on the HT-RC360, he has a subwoofer already by the way, or is there a good amp/speaker combo that he can get where he can upgrade the speakers later but still get something decent now.

I realize that the HT-RC360 doesn't have preouts, but is there an amplifier/speaker combo he could get where the amp would take speaker level inputs?

These are the questions I wanted to know before recommending him something. I would recommend a lower power requirement speaker but we tried the Polk Monitor 50s and blew those too. I just don't have much faith now in tower speakers, with my listening habits, unless I'm using an amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

Helping my friend get new speakers.

Some notes though, we both have the same receiver or had it. It was the HT-RC360. I would recommend the Polk Monitor 70 but I'm hesitant to. I blew my tweeters twice, and I know he likes listening at loud volumes like I do. I hardly think the amplifier in the HT-RC360 will power these speakers. In fact, I know they won't because I blew my tweeters twice haha. They currently run off a Crown XLS1500 now and are never low on power.

Wondering, are there sensitive speakers that would do well on the HT-RC360, he has a subwoofer already by the way, or is there a good amp/speaker combo that he can get where he can upgrade the speakers later but still get something decent now.

I realize that the HT-RC360 doesn't have preouts, but is there an amplifier/speaker combo he could get where the amp would take speaker level inputs?

These are the questions I wanted to know before recommending him something. I would recommend a lower power requirement speaker but we tried the Polk Monitor 50s and blew those too. I just don't have much faith now in tower speakers, with my listening habits, unless I'm using an amplifier.

How big is his room?

Is he looking to just have a couple of stereo speakers or does he want to expand to surround sound someday?

Also, what does he listen to?

Any size/space/color considerations?

Does he live in a major metro area where there is a Fry's?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 626
There aren't many speakers within that budget which will take the kind of abuse you give it. Your best bet is a pair of these BIC America FH-6ts. You could also look for used PA speaker like what DJs use.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

I know he likes listening at loud volumes like I do.

Since you already have a subwoofer the DIY Karma-8 kit is a get high output speaker that is very sensitive and doesn't require huge sums of power.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/karma-series-kits/karma8-kit.html
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/seos-flat-packs/eos-8-flat-pack.html

There is also the Cheap Thrill kit that uses a high output 12" woofer and compression horn tweeter and will play very loud.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/bwaslo-15-kit.html
Old 06-22-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

How big is his room?

Is he looking to just have a couple of stereo speakers or does he want to expand to surround sound someday?

Also, what does he listen to?

Any size/space/color considerations?

Does he live in a major metro area where there is a Fry's?

Thanks.
There is a Fry's near one of us and I go to his place so I wouldn't mind picking it up. No size/Color considerations prefer black and yes surroundsound some day.
Music mostly. We throw parties a lot and have similar listening habits. We blew 2 sets of speakers each because we didn't have enough power from the HT-RC360 to the speakers. So I need "sensitive" speakers right?
Oh, the room was 12 by 12.... So not that big and still it wasn't loud enough for us =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

There aren't many speakers within that budget which will take the kind of abuse you give it. Your best bet is a pair of these BIC America FH-6ts. You could also look for used PA speaker like what DJs use.
Ok I'll look at those, I think I'm looking for "sensitive" speakers right? Speakers that get loud without that much power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Since you already have a subwoofer the DIY Karma-8 kit is a get high output speaker that is very sensitive and doesn't require huge sums of power.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/karma-series-kits/karma8-kit.html
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/seos-flat-packs/eos-8-flat-pack.html

There is also the Cheap Thrill kit that uses a high output 12" woofer and compression horn tweeter and will play very loud.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/bwaslo-15-kit.html

I'll look into DIY but for him it isn't as big as an option as it is for me. I love doing this, he might not.