Are in-ceiling for rear surround and heights worth it with JTR 228 setup? - AVS Forum
Speakers > Are in-ceiling for rear surround and heights worth it with JTR 228 setup?
hogues's Avatar hogues 03:04 PM 06-23-2013
Hey, everyone. Looking for some advice on whether or not in-ceiling speakers are worth it for the rear and high speakers. My LCR speakers are JTR 228's and my side surrounds are Axiom qs8's (along with a couple of Cap 1000's). My ceiling is about 7'2" high, so I'm not even sure that directional in-ceiling would add anything. I don't have anywhere to mount the rear speakers for a 7.1 setup, so it would, again, have to be a directional in-ceiling speaker. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 06:26 PM 06-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Hey, everyone. Looking for some advice on whether or not in-ceiling speakers are worth it for the rear and high speakers. My LCR speakers are JTR 228's and my side surrounds are Axiom qs8's (along with a couple of Cap 1000's). My ceiling is about 7'2" high, so I'm not even sure that directional in-ceiling would add anything. I don't have anywhere to mount the rear speakers for a 7.1 setup, so it would, again, have to be a directional in-ceiling speaker. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hogues why not just pick up another pair of the QS8's for your rears? That's the exact same setup I have, and while I'm not really a fan on any of the other Axiom speakers I have to say that the QS8's have worked great so far after a years worth of fairly regular use.

Axiom sells a mounting bracket that would allow you to mount a pair of QS8's to the ceiling.
hogues's Avatar hogues 07:32 PM 06-23-2013
I should have said that I have a sort of L configuration to my room which makes the right surrounds difficult to place. I'm only able to have the one set because I can place one on a support post and a soffet form a T. There's nothing like that further back in the room because the room opens up a bit. Thanks for the help, jbrown. How do you like the 228's?
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 08:14 PM 06-23-2013
So far I love the 228HT's, how about you?
hogues's Avatar hogues 08:25 PM 06-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

So far I love the 228HT's, how about you?

Unfortunatly, delays have prevented me from hooking them up. It's killing me. I'm glad that you are enjoying yours, though!
hogues's Avatar hogues 10:28 AM 06-24-2013
I guess I could just go for it and not use them if I don't like it. I can get some Episode speakers for pretty cheap.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 06:55 PM 06-24-2013
I know one concern I would have is that now you're trying to mix three different brands and designs of speakers hoping that they will all get along and sound good.
hogues's Avatar hogues 07:35 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I know one concern I would have is that now you're trying to mix three different brands and designs of speakers hoping that they will all get along and sound good.

That's what I was thinking, too. I think that I'm going to stick with 5.2.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 08:37 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

That's what I was thinking, too. I think that I'm going to stick with 5.2.

Yeah I would just concentrate on a great 5.2 setup. Why not get rid of the QS8's and pick up a pair of S8's or Slant 8's from JTR?
hogues's Avatar hogues 10:25 AM 06-25-2013
I actually do have a pair of slanted 8's, but they're just too big. Or, more accurately, one of them is too big.
Up
Mobile  Desktop