Cambridge S30 vs Cambridge Min 21.... which speaker is better bang for the buck? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which is the better value assuming a pair of S30's (un-modded) are $250-299, and a pair of Min 21's are $360-400.

Assuming one can pick either for free, which one sounds the best? For music, I listen to almost every genre/style imaginable. I would say country and hardcore metal/thrash is the kind of music I LEAST listen to. I like more of the folk/poppy music which include my favorites on the top of my head;

Sarah Harmer
Weepies
The Corrs
Alice in Chains (Layne Staley era CDs)
The Cars
Beach House
Slowdive
Florence + The Machine
U2
Sheryl Crow
Tori Amos
Veruca Salt
Richard and Linda Thompson
Joshua Radin
Fiona Apple
Elliot Smith
Beatles
Explosions in the Sky

I know, very large list and kind of diverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi,

You will absolutely need a decent sub that matches well with the Min21's - they are basically micro speakers with a single 2.25" BMR Driver & a 2.25" Woofer. They need a much higher crossover than the S30 so make sure any sub you get can do that if you consider them.

Theere may be a number of deals around on the S30's which mean they might be better value.

Bazzy!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I have a pair of S30's and think they are particularly nice for music. Generally speaking micro-speakers, or satellite-speakers, can work great for HT/surround but might not be optimal for strait-up music listening. Larger drivers with a fuller mid-range are more desirable for music.

FWIW everywhere I've looked the S30's are $219 a pair. At that price point the S30 is really, really are hard to beat.

A common "next step up" for speakers is the $300 mark. Two forum favorites at that price point are the Arx A1b and the Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 (the CBM 170 is on sale for $300 through July 4, normally it's $350).

Note - the prices mentioned don't include taxes and shipping.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
In the middle of that price range is the Mordaunt Short Aviano 1... good deal at closeout pricing around $250ish.

I'm demo'ing a pair now, and while I think I am going to return them, I can see how many people would really like them. Kind of remind me of the Energy RC-10, but with more pronounced midrange... I wouldn't call them neutral, but fun to listen to... kind of a "powerful" type of sound... not laid back or subtle to my ears.

I just like my NHT Classic Three better.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
S30 + sub. Not a fan of micro speakers - at least none that I have heard.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The CBM 170 looks VERY similar to the S30. So even with the new and improved BMR, an S30 and the other recommendations are still sonically better?

Does S30 have a great or even excellent midrange, and is it better than Min 21? I NEED my midrange, and completely forgot to mention that. I know the subwoofer can get the low end, but midrange and even highs are important for me-- almost a necessity:eek:

Tags
Cambridge Audio S30 Speakers Dark Oak Pair , Cambridge Speakers S30 N , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30