New TSx550t's vs RTiA7's - Same price... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Folks,

I am deciding between the new Polk TSx550t and RTiA7 speakers. They are both the same price at $1000/ pair and seem to have similar specs other than their frequency range and sensitivity, the A7's being lower sensitivity at 89 dB. I have heard that the A7's may need more power to sound their best but they are also from Polk's higher end line up... For reference I am using an Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver.

Has anyone had a chance to listen to form an opinion on the new Tsx550t's ?? I am still a rookie in the stereo game so please edumacate me on anything that you feel necessary.

I couldnt find much input on the new TSx series as they are pretty new so thanks for all the help everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
You can get the RTiA7's at Polks eBay store for $800 a pair with free shipping.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm... well if price were out of the game what would you guys go with. Which is the better speaker?
post #4 of 36 Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM

This needs an answer for I am in the same boat, though the new speakers might still be too new for anyone to have an opinion.

RTiA7's or TSx550t's?...
post #5 of 36 Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Liked: 11
To me their is no comparison i'd get the TSx550T sense it has 8 inch woofers vs 7 inch and 2 5 1/4 inch mids vs 1 6.5 inch mid, What's odd though is the RTIA7 has equal low end extension when compared to the TSx550T i'm guessing that has to do with the damping material and the encloser.
post #6 of 36 Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I feel like I read somewhere these new Tx speakers were going to replace the RTi line, so if that is true then I would imagine they are pretty comparable, the RTiA7s are heavier and have smaller drivers, so I would imagine the cabinet on the RTiA7s is heftier.

Order them both from Crutchfield and return the ones you don't like as much.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #7 of 36 Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 787
^^ I'm fairly certain the tsx series is replacing the tsi series. The rtia line is unaffected.....though probably due for an update soon.

Also of note the tsx 550T does share some design features of the rtia series...kind like a smaller a9. The rest of the tsx series are more comparable to the tsi series (or monitor series).

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #8 of 36 Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

^^ I'm fairly certain the tsx series is replacing the tsi series. The rtia line is unaffected.....though probably due for an update soon.

Also of note the tsx 550T does share some design features of the rtia series...kind like a smaller a9. The rest of the tsx series are more comparable to the tsi series (or monitor series).

Ah okay good to know, again this was just a comment in the Polk Owner's thread I believe. But if they TSx speakers match up with the TSi, then that would make a lot of sense.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #9 of 36 Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

You can get the RTiA7's at Polks eBay store for $800 a pair with free shipping.
You can get a pair of A9 for 1k at polk ebay store.

Cost wise, you should also look at what center you can afford. My expectation is that the rtia will have a better finish and sound a little more detailed. If it were me I would probably get the A5 and a good subwoofer.
XStanleyX likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I'm just glad to see Polk moving back to some larger woofers.
post #11 of 36 Old 07-12-2013, 01:39 PM

Liked: 11
Even though i admit i like having slightly bigger drivers i do think its easier to make an accurate driver when its no bigger than a 6-8 inches. Not to mention i heard lots of bigger subwoofers and to be honest for music 8 inch subs usually sound the best to me.
post #12 of 36 Old 08-21-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello all! I've had the Tsx550T's for exactly one week. I've done a lot of stereo music listening and managed to watch one blu ray (MI Ghost Protocol). The polk's replaced a bose AM 5 set up for the fronts. WOW! Detailed, powerful yet not fatiguing at high volumes, great highs, mids I haven't heard before and very good base. I have them Bi-Wired to my old but faithful Onkyo TXDS 787 THX receiver (100 watts per channel). Of course, I can't compare them to other speakers in Polk's line, but they sound SUPER to me. What an upgrade!

My system:

Panasonic 2012 ST series 60 in 3D Plasma
PS 3 for BD
Onkyo TXDS787 Receiver (lossy DD and DTS, set up for 5.1 only)
TSx 550T for the front, CS10 for Center, Bose AM5 for surround and an older 15 inch definitive subwoofer that I swear by.

Thank God, the system sounds great! The TSX 550 T's come highly recommended from me!

Any questions, please let me know.

W
post #13 of 36 Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Finally.

Someone who actually owns and can provide a feedback about these 550Ts.

I have always wondered about how they performed.

I came close to picking up a pair this past week but decided to go with the A7s which are more proven.

Thanks for sharing willymo.

Receiver: Onkyo NR818
Speakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6
SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2
Source: Pioneer BDP62FD
Display:Panasonic TC P50S60
post #14 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 AM

You're very welcome!!!
post #15 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Demoed the 7s and 550s at Fry's a few weeks ago. On its own the 550 sounded OK, but back to back against the 7s they sounded muddy and dull and the 7s had more bass.

It was only a quick demo and it was at a Fry's so......................take it for what it's worth but I would go with the 7s all day over the 550s even if they cost more.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #16 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Surprised the 7's had more bass. The 550's have two 8" drivers and their +/- 3db point is 36hz

[HT]

Energy RC-70 Rosenut
Energy RC-LCR Rosenut
Energy Veritas 1.0CM
SVS PC12-NSD
Pioneer SC-1522-K

[Desktop]

Emotiva Airmotiv 4

Sennheiser HD555 modded

Pics of my setup

post #17 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasor View Post

Surprised the 7's had more bass. The 550's have two 8" drivers and their +/- 3db point is 36hz
Yes I'm surprised as well.............
One would think the four 8s would put out some serious bass as well as midbass....
and the 550s are rated to have a higher sensitivity.... interesting

StayThristyMyFriends
post #18 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasor View Post

Just goes to show, there's more to speaker design than sticking drivers in a box. smile.gif

Plus the 7s look much nicer. The real wood finish in person is really impressive for a speaker at that price.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #19 of 36 Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 AM

Interesting...I would love to hear the 7's! LOL I actually paid less for these than retail (blessed). I had placed an Amazon order for the TSI 500's. When these should up at my door, I made the inquiry. The TSI's were basically gone, so the retailer sent me these at no extra charge! I couldn't be happier. They sound clean and powerful, with much detail and clean, punchy mid bass and bass. I'm a bass freak, so I integrated them with the 15 inch sub....awesome! This TSX line will replace the TSI line, as I understand it.
post #20 of 36 Old 08-23-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post

Interesting...I would love to hear the 7's! LOL I actually paid less for these than retail (blessed). I had placed an Amazon order for the TSI 500's. When these should up at my door, I made the inquiry. The TSI's were basically gone, so the retailer sent me these at no extra charge! I couldn't be happier. They sound clean and powerful, with much detail and clean, punchy mid bass and bass. I'm a bass freak, so I integrated them with the 15 inch sub....awesome! This TSX line will replace the TSI line, as I understand it.

So you ordered the Tsi and got the new TSX? Wow! Score!

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #21 of 36 Old 08-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Just goes to show, there's more to speaker design than sticking drivers in a box. smile.gif

Plus the 7s look much nicer. The real wood finish in person is really impressive for a speaker at that price.

Yeah I had RTi 10's before so I know that the 7's have pretty capable bass. I also had the RTi A5's, and was really impressed with the sleek cabinet design for the price (polk refurb back in the day less than $500 shipped)

[HT]

Energy RC-70 Rosenut
Energy RC-LCR Rosenut
Energy Veritas 1.0CM
SVS PC12-NSD
Pioneer SC-1522-K

[Desktop]

Emotiva Airmotiv 4

Sennheiser HD555 modded

Pics of my setup

post #22 of 36 Old 08-23-2013, 06:19 PM

Score indeed!!
post #23 of 36 Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM

I did some more listening this weekend, as I upgraded to a Panasonic dmb-bdt500 BD Player, connected to my receiver via 5.1 channel analog output. Wow! The high res soundtracks on movies really open things up! These speakers sound excellent, in my opinion. The sound stage is very open, surpassing the speaker locations. Howver, for the type of bass that I love, you definitely need a powered sub, which most people either have or would add anyway.

There is a lot of detail in the high bass, low midrange to upper midrange frequency. Same goes for the highs. I actually lowered the treble just a bit (may not be the speakers, as my listening area is very bright to begin with). The low bass, from the towers, is very tight and musical, but as I mentioned, for movies, I like the sub to kick in. Speaking of the sub, it blends very well with the towers (more so than in my last set up, which sounded more boomy by comparison, with the same sub!). Everything just sounds more complete, cleaner and crisper at high volumes.

I watched Jack Reacher on BD and it sounded great. There's some serious gunplay in the beginning of the film and towards the end, which really sounded fantastic and energized the room. I played some key scenes from the Hulk, Live free or Die Hard, listened to some operatic tenors and pop music.

The speakers sound best with classical, instrumental music, R & B, jazz, hip hop and pop rock tunes. Heavy metal sounded a bit bright and fatigued at high volumes, but that could be my acoustics. I didn't hear anything that I would describe as "muddy or dull", but then again, I don't have an AB comparison to other speakers set up with the identical parameters.
post #24 of 36 Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post

I did some more listening this weekend, as I upgraded to a Panasonic dmb-bdt500 BD Player, connected to my receiver via 5.1 channel analog output. Wow! The high res soundtracks on movies really open things up! These speakers sound excellent, in my opinion. The sound stage is very open, surpassing the speaker locations. Howver, for the type of bass that I love, you definitely need a powered sub, which most people either have or would add anyway.

There is a lot of detail in the high bass, low midrange to upper midrange frequency. Same goes for the highs. I actually lowered the treble just a bit (may not be the speakers, as my listening area is very bright to begin with). The low bass, from the towers, is very tight and musical, but as I mentioned, for movies, I like the sub to kick in. Speaking of the sub, it blends very well with the towers (more so than in my last set up, which sounded more boomy by comparison, with the same sub!). Everything just sounds more complete, cleaner and crisper at high volumes.

I watched Jack Reacher on BD and it sounded great. There's some serious gunplay in the beginning of the film and towards the end, which really sounded fantastic and energized the room. I played some key scenes from the Hulk, Live free or Die Hard, listened to some operatic tenors and pop music.

The speakers sound best with classical, instrumental music, R & B, jazz, hip hop and pop rock tunes. Heavy metal sounded a bit bright and fatigued at high volumes, but that could be my acoustics. I didn't hear anything that I would describe as "muddy or dull", but then again, I don't have an AB comparison to other speakers set up with the identical parameters.

sounds good man! not a whole lot of info about user experiences with the tsx line yet. you should post up in the official polk thread. I have to admit that the tsx550 has me intrigued.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #25 of 36 Old 11-16-2013, 03:24 PM

I have the Polk Audio TSx550t 's  for my front speakers in a 5.1 HT set-up. They are decent, but do not push the clarity I was expecting from them from reading up on them. I use Monitor 70 series II for my surrounds and a CS2 center. I run these with a Pioneer Elite SC05 avr. I have pulled the speaker input terminal bridges to consider bi-amping, and found that when the bridges are pulled, it separates the tweeter only from the other 4 speakers, this made me choose not to bi-amp because the avr could push 130 watts to the tweeter and its crossover and I would guess they wont hold up to it. 

All in all, to be honest on it, I am not that impressed with them at this point for sheer volume output, clarity or tonal quality... I have had them around 2 months now. I wonder if I should not have gone with the Klipsch.

post #26 of 36 Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindlessCorpse View Post

I have the Polk Audio TSx550t 's  for my front speakers in a 5.1 HT set-up. They are decent, but do not push the clarity I was expecting from them from reading up on them. I use Monitor 70 series II for my surrounds and a CS2 center. I run these with a Pioneer Elite SC05 avr. I have pulled the speaker input terminal bridges to consider bi-amping, and found that when the bridges are pulled, it separates the tweeter only from the other 4 speakers, this made me choose not to bi-amp because the avr could push 130 watts to the tweeter and its crossover and I would guess they wont hold up to it. 
 All in all, to be honest on it, I am not that impressed with them at this point for sheer volume output, clarity or tonal quality... I have had them around 2 months now. I wonder if I should not have gone with the Klipsch.

I went with some Klipsch. First the RF52 then upgraded a week later to the RF62 which IMO are fantastic for the price. Watched Pacific Rim last night and at only -20db it was a wall of sound coming at us. smile.gif

They are forward and on the bright side but definitely not harsh. Fairly revealing and pretty detailed and without a sub have a surprising amount of bass.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #27 of 36 Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 AM

I just looked at them both in detail,  and I chose the RTiA7s...

There is some doubt about the TSx550t's woofers..  they might be passive radiators...

C

post #28 of 36 Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 471
The TSi tweeters are the same tweeters used in the Monitor line. On every occasion I have had the misfortune of hearing that tweeter, it had been less than pleasant. I didn't mind the RTi tweeters though. I wouldn't want the TSx or Monitor speakers in any system of mine, and I am not nearly as picky about speakers as some guys around here. I can't imagine how anyone who has demoed the lower end Polks against many of its competitors would end up choosing the Polks. Every other comparably priced major speaker is better, to my ears at least, Infinity, Klipsch, Pioneer, Boston Acoustics, JBL, etc.
post #29 of 36 Old 04-10-2014, 10:44 AM

The woofers in the TSX550t are not passive...

the tweeters are very overrated (power-wise)

and, if not too late, I might suggest going in a different direction other than polk audio speakers...   here is why....

I own a pair of the Polk Audio TSX550t 's and use them as my fronts in a home theater system (5.1 at present, but will be going to 7.1 soon)

my set-up =

Panasonic GT50 - 60 inch plasma

Pioneer Elite SC-05 AVR

1 Polk Audio CS20 center channel

2 Polk Audio TSX550t 's front channels

2 Polk Audio Series II Monitor 70's rear channels

1 Polk Audio PSW 505 sobwoofer

I jumped into the Polk Audio speakers going by name and supposed reputation only. I wish I had gone different, but i have what I have...

a few of the lessons I have learned (the slightly expensive way)

1) I can not speak on every other polk speaker out there, but on the TSX's, I have replaced the tweeters 3 times so far, and have only had the speakers 6 months or so. Polk wont give out the spec's so that I can choose a after market replacement, so I will stick with the original style as polk sends me new ones as I burn them out... under the 5 year warranty. the tweets in all 5 speakers seem similar, (I have replaced them in each the fronts. rears and center) the tweeter itself is a soft dome/silk design, and weighs in at around 1 and one half ounces..... very weak

The woofers in the TSX's are driver, as while replacing tweets there, I removed all speakers to have a look, they are both wired in series

2) When you set up a newer AVR, you have to select what size speakers you are running, Large or Small. If you select Large, the whole range of frequency is sent to the main speakers, and no signal is sent out the sub output... this makes owning a subwoofer pointless, or you can select the speakers as Small in which case, all the lower frequency is sent to the sub, and no low frequency to the floor speakers (or at least not enough to make any difference ), now if you set your sub at 80HZ and under, you loose all the frequency range from 80 Hz  up to wherever the mids kick in (maybe around 1500 Hz or so) so this makes buying floor standing speakers that have woofers built in a waste of money.... I have not tried wiring the front speakers to pass through the subwoofer speaker level terminals yet, that is the last option I have to make all the woofers work. I have also considered changing out the crossovers in the cabinets and wiring the woofers as low mid's and running the existing mids as high mid's... 

3) I think if I start another HT setup, I will probably give Klipsch a strong looking at... it seems their speakers are rated better... but as to the ratings, manufacturers have found ways to re-word the ratings so that they can manufacture in cheaper methods and it still looks good on paper.

now, before the replies come in, stating that I am overdriving the Amp and sending clipped or distorted signals, look up the Pioneer SC-05 AVR, it uses the B&O designed ICE class D amp with the Nielsen corrective network. to summarize the reading for you, set at safety level 2 it will not allow the amp to clip or distort over 0.05 thd at 130 watts per channel (and yes, the Elite pushes 130 watts per channel with all channels driving)...

What is blowing the tweets is the fact that there is not enough winding to dissipate the heat associated with the power load.

Also with the Polk Speakers, I do occasionally hear a voice coil former slam into the back plate. Now, these floor standing Polk Audio speakers are rated to handle 300 watts continuous (on paper) so I should not be having any of these problems, but I do.

to wrap it up... Original Poster, give a look at the Klipsch Folded Horn speakers. If you like good sound, and like to run the volume up, they may suit your needs... 

post #30 of 36 Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 PM

hi again,

In My X,  Poppin tweeters does usually indicate a problem with the amp or signal path.  I just sold a set of Cerwin Vega's U321s to a fellow with a 50 watt Amp.  He's tripped the breaker on the tweeters several times already,  but I had run close to 200 watts into that same set,  but from a much higher quality, more powerful amp...and I never tripped them off...  But you do seem to know what your on about... I will say that I am very dubious of the claims of many of these so called AVRs... I think many of them are over rated...

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page