Def Tech. fronts or start over? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to upgrade the mishmash of speakers I currently have to a more solid 5.1 system. The only speaker I am currently using that I am considering keeping is a Def Tech. Mythos 7 that I have because my parents were not using it in their current home. I can also likely pry free 2 pairs of Mythos Gems to use as surrounds for cheap/free. So the decision I am left with is whether to go that route and purchase a pair of Def Tech fronts and a sub or to ditch the 7 and purchase a complete 5.1 system. I don't have a solid budget for this upgrade but ~$3500 is probably near the high end of what I am looking to spend.

If I stick with the Def Tech. setup it seems like the most appropriate fronts would be either the Mythos 5s for ~1k or the Mythos STS for ~3k. Is the STS that much of an upgrade over the 5s if I pair the 5s with a decent sub from HSU or SVS?

If I were to start from scratch I've seen a lot of recommendations for Ascend and HSU in the 1-3k price ranges, are their other setups I should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
In general you want to keep timbre the same. Im not sure how well they match. What about the def tech sm65. Those seem pretty nice and the price seems pretty good. You can go with three up front and two sm55 in the rear. This would leave you quite a bit for a sub. For example you can go with the hsu vtf15 or a psa xv/s 15. If you wanted another brand you can look at those too. There are a lot of options available. Paradigm has their studio series which is really nice as well.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
The SMs haven't reviewed all that well - I've not listened to them - but I wouldn't build a fresh system around them.

I'd really want to hear the 5s and STS before making a decision. I think the 5s plus a quality sub or 2 would work better in most cases than the STS.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petden View Post

In general you want to keep timbre the same. Im not sure how well they match.

The 5 are definitely a timbre match and I'm fairly sure the STS's would be as well.

Thanks for the opinion lespurgeoun, that's the way I was currently leaning as well.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thats good thats it a timbre match. One issue I see with the STS though is that it has built in subs. The reason I see that as a con is that speaker placement and sub placement usually coincide. Also the specs on the built in subs are grossly overstated. According to third party measurements the -3 point is around 35hz. Even for music i think you'd want a bit lower. Dont get me wrong, I heard these once for a very brief time at an audio show and they seemed pretty good, very nice to listen to however I would still look at a quality sub with them. That does however reduce the need for towers and the built in subs for that matter. I hear its rather difficult to integrate these sub with a separate sub, I've never owned speakers with built-in sub so i wouldnt know.

I think you could get a similar sound to the sts with their bookshelf speakers. Like I said before there are a lot of great options to choose from. It all comes down to budget, auditioning ability, and WAF potentially.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page