are book shelf as good as floor and what should i buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a room that is an open floor plan. will be sitting 10 ft from plasma; read in hometheater magazine aon books shelf golden ear with a woofer is super and also been told floor speakers are better..b and w cm8 or monitor speakers. i am confused and could use some advise; have around 3k for surround sound including woofers..suggestions would be welcome:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM
D_M

Liked: 17
Proshow123,

Are you trying to build a 5.1., 7.1, or 11.1 system? Is the budget just for speakers alone? Do you already have a receiver / processor?
post #3 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your quick response; not sure re the difference. plan to use surround sound and buy a marantz 6007 or yamaha; ..thanks so much for the advise
post #4 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

sorry; the budget is just for speakers. i dont have a receiver as yet
post #5 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 02:51 PM
D_M

Proshow123,

By the time you purchase decent stands for the bookshelf speakers, you are usually with in a few hundred dollars of the floorstanders. Knowing what furniture will be in the room is just as important. The height of the speakers relative to your listening position should be factored into your speaker selection. Bookshelf vs Floorstanders for home theater is more about preference than anything. Most speakers need the support of a decent subwoofer to be effective at home theater duties. There are hundreds of speakers that we can recommend, but your better off going out and listening to some of them first.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 125

I'd personally rather have floorstanders with a sub than bookshelf speakers with a sub.  I'd rather have certain floor standers without a sub than bookshelf speakers with a sub.

There are nice folks on this forum who will offer different opinions and they will be valid opinions.  I don't mind the floor space a full size speaker takes (I've got some large speakers).  My subs are huge, something approaching 4 feet by 5 feet by 18 inches deep.  I don't mind those either, they make a nice place to set extra hats when they're not being worn.

It's all a matter of trade-offs and priorities (in my opinion)

post #7 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 PM
D_M

Like I said, I would suggest that you listen to a few first. I am a fan of polk speakers. I would recommend speakers from polk's ebay store. Don't be apprehensive about buying from them, many people have bought from them. The speakers are listed as refurbished, but they show up blemish free for the most part. Many people have bought from accessories4less as well. The system below should serve you well. Keep in mind that I didn't include any cables for connecting everything together. I'm over your budget by $210. You could drop one of the subwoofers or the amplifier, which would provide you with $700 - $800 for cabling.

RTi A7 $800 (polk ebay store)
CSi A6 $300 (polk ebay store)
RTi A3 $200 (polk ebay store)
Dual PC12-NSD cylinders $1399 (http://www.svsound.com)
XPA -5 amplifier $810 (http://www.emotiva.com/)
Marantz SR6007$700 (http://www.accessories4less.com/)
post #8 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by proshow123 View Post

i have a room that is an open floor plan. will be sitting 10 ft from plasma; read in hometheater magazine aon books shelf golden ear with a woofer is super and also been told floor speakers are better..b and w cm8 or monitor speakers. i am confused and could use some advise; have around 3k for surround sound including woofers..suggestions would be welcome:)

How big is your room?

Thanks.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by proshow123 View Post

..suggestions would be welcome:)
Floorstanders are larger and more expensive than bookshelves to allow them to play to lower frequencies. That's justified if you don't have subs, but if you do have subs it's not, as those low frequencies are produced by the subs, not the L/R speakers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you can perfectly integrate a subwoofer into a system bookshelves and floorstanders would perform identically. Most people either dont know how integrate a sub perfectly or dont have the ability to move the sub around so full range towers might sound a little more complete.

I have never been a fan of polk audio. I find their tweeter bright and fatiguing. With that said quite a few people like them the A7 and A9 are your best bet. I dont know if i eould jump on a separate amp. It gives you more headroom and lower distortion however you dont realize those gains unless you push the speakers. If you do tend to test their limits then it might be worth the investment.

Svs makes some very nice subs. Rythmik also makes very nice subs. For $700-800 i think PSA offers the most value. They have 15" ported and sealed designs that compete with much more expensive units.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page