Help - 40 year old B&O repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

My fathers 40 year old speakers, B&O Beovox 3702 has started to fall apart and its time for some upgrades and repair.
They have sounded pretty bad for a few months and we found out that the whole foam on both of the 8" woofers (mid-bass range) was gone and pretty bad.

We bought a pair of foam repair kits from the internet which looks successfull and fits good. Still they sound pretty bad, but one of the is in pretty good shape. The other one sounds awfull, especially on higher volume with bass. I have found out that it is most likely is blown, since it also makes wierd noises when i push the coil gently down. It sounds like the voice coil is touching somewhere.

Tonight, I took a knife to cut the dust cap off to reach the voice coil. Unfortunately I had to rip off the speaker spider (which looked good) since it was glued to the voice coil, does it cost much?
The voice coil looks pretty good, but I could feel a bit friction when i pushed it down. It felt like it was some sort of dust down there (probably because the foam was gone?), so I took a vacuum-cleaner to try and suck out the dust down there. It got maybe a little bit better, but not much.

But..... when I look at the voice coil, it looks like it has a small open area, almost like it has started to go apart where the tape is trying to hold it togheter. Maybe thats the cause? That it has gotten wider, which makes the coil touch inside the core and making friction?

I probably have to just buy a new basket or element, does it cost much. The best would be to buy only the spider with the voice coil on, since I have already bought foam, glue and extra "glue" protector for the cone. Is that possible or should I just buy a new 8" element with the right amounts of ohm?

Thanks.

Links for big pictures:

0o2471.net/54138
0o2471.net/54139
0o2471.net/54142
0o2471.net/54143
0o2471.net/54144
0o2471.net/54145
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any ideas? smile.gif
Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Get some replacement drivers and crossovers. Had you left the drivers alone and sent them out for professional refoaming the expert could have told you whether the coils are still good. After you've mucked about inside its doubtful you could find someone to rebuild them.
Beovox likes this.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!