New Home Theater System Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,
Would love some suggestions or guidance on what to get for my new home theater system setup. I plan to allocate roughly around $2,000 to $2,500 for the whole speaker system including a receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I used to a Bose Lifestyle system thinking it was good, and realize I could of gotten a much better setup with the same amount of money I spent on the Bose system.
fuzion23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Are you looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 system? Are floor standing front speakers ok, or do you need all bookshelf's? How big is the room?
crn3371 is online now  
post #3 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to get measurement for my living room. I don't mind having floor standing speakers if they are really much better. What are reason for me to go with 7.1 instead 5.1?
fuzion23 is offline  
post #4 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,757
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
A good sub is the heart of an HT setup. So if you get a good sub, then you can crossover your speakers at 80hz, eliminating the need for floorstanding speakers.

But before anyone can advise you further, they definitely need to know your room size. One reason for that is that subwoofer performance is tied to your total room volume (not just area), including any open adjacent areas. So the bigger the room, the more sub you need, thus impacting how much you have to put toward speakers.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My living room and kitchen combine is about 22x20 1/2 feet. Since I have an open floor plan I assume I include kitchen opening. Thanks for all the input so far.
fuzion23 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,757
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Is that normal ceiling height? Or cathedral? It's volume that is important, not just area. Subs have to affect the air in the room.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Normal ceiling height. No catherdal
fuzion23 is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 03:33 AM
Member
 
jklick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is this primarily for movies or will there be other purposes mixed in (e.g. music listening, video games, TV shows, sports games)? Is this an apartment/condo where you have to worry about neighbors or is it a separate house?

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)
jklick is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,757
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion23 View Post

Normal ceiling height. No catherdal

In that case, one of the larger 12" ported subs from the Internet direct subwoofer vendors would be a good choice: SVS PB12-NSD, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, or an HSU VTF-3 MK4 would be my choice. Those vendors produce subs that are much better values than those from home audio companies that are typically sold in brick and mortar stores.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklick View Post

Is this primarily for movies or will there be other purposes mixed in (e.g. music listening, video games, TV shows, sports games)? Is this an apartment/condo where you have to worry about neighbors or is it a separate house?

I live at a home. I will use it primarily for movies and tv show.
fuzion23 is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion23 View Post

I live at a home. I will use it primarily for movies and tv show.

Do you live near a Fry's? They often have good deals.
bladerunner6 is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

In that case, one of the larger 12" ported subs from the Internet direct subwoofer vendors would be a good choice: SVS PB12-NSD, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, or an HSU VTF-3 MK4 would be my choice. Those vendors produce subs that are much better values than those from home audio companies that are typically sold in brick and mortar stores.
Thanks for the suggestion I will look into those subs. How about some speakers suggestion and reciever
fuzion23 is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion23 View Post

T
Thanks for the suggestion I will look into those subs. How about some speakers suggestion and reciever

One system might be:

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE for Fronts, CMT-340 SE C for a center and a CBM-170 for rear speakers.


http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/purchase/advisor.mv#bottom

A Powersound Sub:

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xv15

That would take you to $1900.

Then a Denon receiver that meets your needs. Something on sale, open box or refurbished can save you some money:

https://www.accessories4less.com/index.php

For a receiver, you might want to check some local B&M stores for some close out models.
bladerunner6 is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

Do you live near a Fry's? They often have good deals.

This. Right now Fry's has the Infinity Primus p363 tower speakers on sale for $107 each. At that price you might as well get some for surrounds as well. Add a Primus c351 center, and you have a great speaker system for a killer price, about $600. Throw in a couple of good subs, I would look at the Hsu VTF2 or the Rythmik FV12r, a dual of either would be about $1200 shipped. Get a good Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon/Kardon, or Denon receiver for five to six hundred. That will give you a slammin audio system for under $2500.

Another good looking deal right now is the well-reviewed EMPtek E55Ti speakers, on sale for $350 each. Add to that its center, the E56Ci, $400, and a pair of the E5 bookshelf speakers, $225 a pair. That comes out to $1325 for the speakers, that only leaves room for one good sub instead of two, and again I would look at the Hsu VTF2 or the Rythmik LV12r. Get a good $500 receiver with the rest and you are under a $2500 budget again with a great system.

One more thing great alternative is to get a full Hsu Hybrid set. You could get a 5.1 package with one massive sub for about $1825 shipped, leaving over $600 for receiver and accessories. You could also get a 5.1 with the VTF2 sub for $1460, and throw another VTF2 for an additional $600. That would be a great system with its own advantages as well.

A couple things: get your HDMI cable from monoprice, not at any electronics store like BestBuy or Radio Shack. The markup on cables at electronics stores is insane. You can get your speaker cable at Home Depot, I would get a roll of 14 AWG with excess length in case you end up needing it. Their cable is as good as anyone's, and it is cheap too. If you need a speaker mount, THE mount to get is the Videosecu side-clamping wall mount. It can hold 20 lbs speakers easily and does not require you to drill holes in your speakers unlike most other mounts. If you need banana plugs, wall jack plates, and other accessories, get them from monoprice, they have solid equipment for great prices.
shadyJ is online now  
post #15 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

This. Right now Fry's has the Infinity Primus p363 tower speakers on sale for $107 each. At that price you might as well get some for surrounds as well. Add a Primus c351 center, and you have a great speaker system for a killer price, about $600. Throw in a couple of good subs, I would look at the Hsu VTF2 or the Rythmik FV12r, a dual of either would be about $1200 shipped. Get a good Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon/Kardon, or Denon receiver for five to six hundred. That will give you a slammin audio system for under $2500.

Another good looking deal right now is the well-reviewed EMPtek E55Ti speakers, on sale for $350 each. Add to that its center, the E56Ci, $400, and a pair of the E5 bookshelf speakers, $225 a pair. That comes out to $1325 for the speakers, that only leaves room for one good sub instead of two, and again I would look at the Hsu VTF2 or the Rythmik LV12r. Get a good $500 receiver with the rest and you are under a $2500 budget again with a great system.

One more thing great alternative is to get a full Hsu Hybrid set. You could get a 5.1 package with one massive sub for about $1825 shipped, leaving over $600 for receiver and accessories. You could also get a 5.1 with the VTF2 sub for $1460, and throw another VTF2 for an additional $600. That would be a great system with its own advantages as well.

A couple things: get your HDMI cable from monoprice, not at any electronics store like BestBuy or Radio Shack. The markup on cables at electronics stores is insane. You can get your speaker cable at Home Depot, I would get a roll of 14 AWG with excess length in case you end up needing it. Their cable is as good as anyone's, and it is cheap too. If you need a speaker mount, THE mount to get is the Videosecu side-clamping wall mount. It can hold 20 lbs speakers easily and does not require you to drill holes in your speakers unlike most other mounts. If you need banana plugs, wall jack plates, and other accessories, get them from monoprice, they have solid equipment for great prices.

These are also excellent suggestions and I would agree that the Primus speakers are great, I have the P162's and really enjoy them.

If you go with the P363's, do get a receiver that is good at driving 4 ohm speakers because according to Audioholics, the P363's are really 4 ohm speakers.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/primus-p363
bladerunner6 is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 06-30-2013, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,707
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Any mid range receiver will handle the primus speakers fine. I just wouldn't want to put them on a super cheap receiver and blast the thing at Reference for a long time, but other than that, they will be fine.
shadyJ is online now  
post #17 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the suggestion. How about Mirage OMD-15 floor stand speakers for fronts. A friend recommend me to get that. I know it is a little more in cost but is it worth the price? Thanks everyone
fuzion23 is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,757
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion23 View Post

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. How about Mirage OMD-15 floor stand speakers for fronts. A friend recommend me to get that. I know it is a little more in cost but is it worth the price? Thanks everyone

The Mirage OMD series is a whole different kind of speaker from the others discussed so far. The OMDs create a diffuse sound field (more like what Bose tries to do, but better SQ).

So if that's what you are looking for and you can get a good price, then there's probably not a better option for you. However, depending on the price (their MSRP is really high), you might get better overall SQ from a traditional direct radiating speaker set for the same money, just not the diffuse sound field effect.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The Mirage OMD series is a whole different kind of speaker from the others discussed so far. The OMDs create a diffuse sound field (more like what Bose tries to do, but better SQ).

So if that's what you are looking for and you can get a good price, then there's probably not a better option for you. However, depending on the price (their MSRP is really high), you might get better overall SQ from a traditional direct radiating speaker set for the same money, just not the diffuse sound field effect.

They are pretty pricey. I think $1250 per speaker. Can you elaborate more on the diffuser part. How are they different from the recommendation you guys mention on the previous post. I greatly appreciate it. I really want a nice setup, but don't want to spend a lot on something if it isn't worth the price. Thanks again for all the help.
fuzion23 is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,757
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
The OMDs are like the Bose Lifestyle you used to have. They create a bigger more enveloping sound field than other speakers, and they would take that effect to a whole new gigantic level above the Bose Lifestyle. However, some people don't like this because they feel that diffusion is artificial and decreases clarity over comparably priced speakers.

Crutchfield has the OMD-15s for $599 each. With the C1 center and OMD-5s for surrounds, that would cost you $2100 for the set. Unless you are determined that you want that sound effect, there are other ways to use that increased budget that could give you better sound, too. For instance if you like bass, dual subs create a more even frequency response throughout a room; grab two of the Rythmik FV12r that were mentioned. Or you might go with a better grade of towers/center/surrounds in another brand.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The OMDs are like the Bose Lifestyle you used to have. They create a bigger more enveloping sound field than other speakers, and they would take that effect to a whole new gigantic level above the Bose Lifestyle. However, some people don't like this because they feel that diffusion is artificial and decreases clarity over comparably priced speakers.

Crutchfield has the OMD-15s for $599 each. With the C1 center and OMD-5s for surrounds, that would cost you $2100 for the set. Unless you are determined that you want that sound effect, there are other ways to use that increased budget that could give you better sound, too. For instance if you like bass, dual subs create a more even frequency response throughout a room; grab two of the Rythmik FV12r that were mentioned. Or you might go with a better grade of towers/center/surrounds in another brand.

Thank you so much so far with all the input. What are the towers/center/surrounds in another brand that in your opinion would be a better option than the mirage sets? Can you give me two different brand you would consider. I would like be within 3.5-4k budget with the receiver and sub
fuzion23 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,757
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Look into the Kef Q series and Focal Chorus 700 series.

I'm sure others will have additional brands to suggest smile.gif

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I sure like my B&W 684's. You could do 684 fronts, htm62 center, and 686 surrounds for slightly under $2k. That leaves you plenty left over for a good avr, and a nice sub, or two.
crn3371 is online now  
post #24 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the suggestion guys. The focal 714 chorus looks good too. On crutchfield it states preorder, i guess its new model.
fuzion23 is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fuzion23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the help everyone. I bought the Mirage OMD-15 since the price is cheaper now for $600 per speakers. I called a professional installer and he recommend me to setup in-ceiling speakers with klipsch CTD-5650II series. I told him is it ok keeping my OMD-15 towers in the front with the OMD-C1 center and just mix the surround with the Klipsch 5650 inceiling speakers. He say that wouldn't be that bad since its just the surrounds. What are you guys take on it? I really want to make sure my setup wont sound horrible because of that potential setup. Thanks for all the feedback in advance. smile.gif
fuzion23 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off