Serious static - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plugged in my speakers, ran audyssey and put on a blu-ray. Boom, huge static coming from all speakers. It is not noticeable in my viewing area, but very noticeable when walking by the speaker. Never had this issue, and now I am confused....thanks in advance.

Denon AVR 3312ci--Samsung pn51e7000--Klipsch RC-62 II--2 Klipsch RF-82 II--Polk fxi-a4 surrounds--Panasonic DMP-BDT300--Xbox 360--PS3--Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC with TWC--2 Dayton sub 1200's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
First, I'm confused about the noise that is audible at the speaker but not in the viewing area, and yet it is "huge static." Can you describe a little more what you mean?

Also, how about any additional information, such as

* Does it only happen with bluray?
* What happens if you disable Audyssey? Or what about 2 channel direct mode?
* Did you try rerunning Audyssey since you seem to indicate it happened ever since you ran Audyssey?
* What did you do/add to your system that required rerunning Audyssey?
* Did you try resetting your receiver?
* Anything else you can think of to tell us?
avthokie likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

First, I'm confused about the noise that is audible at the speaker but not in the viewing area, and yet it is "huge static." Can you describe a little more what you mean?

Also, how about any additional information, such as

* Does it only happen with bluray?
* What happens if you disable Audyssey? Or what about 2 channel direct mode?
* Did you try rerunning Audyssey since you seem to indicate it happened ever since you ran Audyssey?
* What did you do/add to your system that required rerunning Audyssey?
* Did you try resetting your receiver?
* Anything else you can think of to tell us?

Sorry...should have thought more about it. I re-ran audyssey after resetting my avr. This feedback issue is only present when using blu-ray. It is not as loud as the actual sounds being produced by the speaker, but I have never heard it this loud before. I cannot hear it in my viewing area, but do not need to have my ear right up to the speaker either. This almost sounds like there is a "shower" on in the films I am watching. It is a very audible static....it is more noticeable in quiet scenes, and comes from all speakers, but less so from the center. It is only being produced by the tweeters as well. After disabling audyssey it changes but doesn't go away. It seems to get deeper sounding. Like I said it is not present when watching TV, or playing xbox.

Denon AVR 3312ci--Samsung pn51e7000--Klipsch RC-62 II--2 Klipsch RF-82 II--Polk fxi-a4 surrounds--Panasonic DMP-BDT300--Xbox 360--PS3--Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC with TWC--2 Dayton sub 1200's
post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Maybe something is wrong with your HDMI cable and it's interfering with the audio stream?

Sorry. That's just a guess. And perhaps a bad one. But I always like to check the easy stuff first smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Maybe something is wrong with your HDMI cable and it's interfering with the audio stream?

Sorry. That's just a guess. And perhaps a bad one. But I always like to check the easy stuff first smile.gif

+1. Start with the easy possible problems. Could be your speakers are more sensitive and now you're hearing static (hissing) that was there before, however, not heard from less sensitive speakers. Check power cords for the blue ray and AVR. Are they touching? Do they use the same surge protection device?

About a month ago, I added an external amp to my setup. Noticed that my tweeters from all 5 speakers would intermittently hiss (loud enough to be heard from the MLP) and then the hiss would go away. I went crazy. I narrowed the problem down to either the amplifier or some type of electrical interference from another source (i.e. I checked my air conditioning units, refrigerators, micro waves, dimmers). I unplugged everything, switched out cables/power cords, ensured a separate socket for the amp, etc. For a few weeks, i was thinking about returning the amplifier because I read that capacitors/resistors that are starting to go can cause hissing in your tweeters. Finally, I figured out the cause of my problem. Every time my daughter would turn on her light and fan in her bedroom (2 stories up from my speakers/amp and certainly not on the same amp line), my tweeters would hiss. As soon as she shut her light/fan off, my speakers became deadly silent. It's just one of those things that took a long time and a lot of experimentation to figure out. Now its time to call an electrician to fix the problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob from NJ View Post

+1. Start with the easy possible problems. Could be your speakers are more sensitive and now you're hearing static (hissing) that was there before, however, not heard from less sensitive speakers. Check power cords for the blue ray and AVR. Are they touching? Do they use the same surge protection device?

About a month ago, I added an external amp to my setup. Noticed that my tweeters from all 5 speakers would intermittently hiss (loud enough to be heard from the MLP) and then the hiss would go away. I went crazy. I narrowed the problem down to either the amplifier or some type of electrical interference from another source (i.e. I checked my air conditioning units, refrigerators, micro waves, dimmers). I unplugged everything, switched out cables/power cords, ensured a separate socket for the amp, etc. For a few weeks, i was thinking about returning the amplifier because I read that capacitors/resistors that are starting to go can cause hissing in your tweeters. Finally, I figured out the cause of my problem. Every time my daughter would turn on her light and fan in her bedroom (2 stories up from my speakers/amp and certainly not on the same amp line), my tweeters would hiss. As soon as she shut her light/fan off, my speakers became deadly silent. It's just one of those things that took a long time and a lot of experimentation to figure out. Now its time to call an electrician to fix the problem.

Quote:

I am getting a whole new set of front speakers which i will re-wire and I am also doing all new HDMI cables as well. I will remove all the speaker wires from power cords and see what happens. I will post back with updates within the next 2 days. I appreciate the help!

post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by avthokie View Post

This feedback issue is only present when using blu-ray.
That indicates that the fault is probably with the blu-ray deck. It could be the cable, but doubtful.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page