Planning to get an Ascend 340 surround system, is it worth is to switch my sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've decided to get a 5.1 system made up of Ascend 340's, since I'd really like that neutral, music-friendly sound. I currently have a HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub, but according to a review on here, the speakers blended extremely well with the Rythmik LV12R. Since the sub is also on Ascend's website, I suppose that they really do go together well.

My question is, worth it be at all worth it/noticeable to swap my HSU for the VTF in this case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
You'd change subs because of that post? You unhappy with your sub? What did you do to setup your sub? Did you integrate it with your current setup? IMHO it's not the brand of sub, its the setup you do with placement and crossover; any sub should work and I think the swap you propose is more a lateral move than an upgrade. Now might be the time to upgrade your woofage, maybe dual VTF2 mk4 subs would be a good idea at this point.

You're going to use 340's all around instead of just mains? You listen to multi ch music?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I was considering it due to that post, and the fact that it seems Ascend either makes or at least strongly endorses the Rythmik. So I thought they would blend better. Basically right now I'm trying to figure out if that's true or not.

I listen to music with Pro Logic on, and I watch movies in surround sound. So you don't think one can tell the difference between the 170's and 340's when they're being used as surrounds?
post #4 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Ascend and Rythmik are separate companies, just a marketing agreement afaik (with Ascends inherent approval of the sub's quality). I use 170SEs as surrounds, 200SEs as rear surrounds with Sierra-1s for L/C/R. While I'm sure it'd be nice to have Sierras all around, it's really not necessary as the content in the surround channels in movies isn't as strong (for lack of a better word at the moment), might be more noticeable in multi ch music. but the 170SE is a very nice speaker and more similar than different compared to the Sierra-1s (I've compared them in my room a/b as L/R pairs). No doubt Rythmiks are very nice subs, but so are Hsu subs and several other offerings out there. I would save the money on the 340SEs for surrounds and get the 170s for surrounds (or even 200SEs depending on how you plan to place them) and think about a dual sub setup instead. IMHO. YMMV. Depends also on how much you want to budget for this change...just what do you have now? Room size?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #5 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I see. Now that I think about it, there's probably no way a sub can "color" the sound a particular way like a speaker can, and the reason different reviewers have noted the 340's ability to blend with their sub is more likely testament to the 340's very neutral sound. And perhaps wanting all my speakers to be exactly the same quality is just a little OCD on my part biggrin.gif Then again, I don't mind waiting and saving up the couple hundred to do that.

I might like a second sub, if I didn't live in a studio apartment at the moment. Ceiling is 10' high, room is 16' wide, 13' from from to back, and I sit 9' back. Though despite living in an apartment, I've created a complete blackout solution involving velvet drapes along all the walls, and something I kind of invented for the ceiling involving velvet, hooks, and 2 PVC rods. If and when I get a house (somehow), I will certainly consider a dual sub solution.
post #6 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, apartments and great woofage can be a issue. I think when people wax lyrical on their new gear they're mostly excited about the new gear. smile.gif 340SEs as surrounds are also kinda large, especially in an aparrtment? Would you put them on stands adjacent to your main LP?

post #7 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Yes, apartments and great woofage can be a issue. I think when people wax lyrical on their new gear they're mostly excited about the new gear. smile.gif ...

IME the two best things for a sub in an apartment are:
- Get a pad/riser for the sub to help reduce floor/wall vibrations (but still allows the sound to stay clean).
- Get an accurate and detailed sub. That will let you play the bass at a lower volume while still hearing everything clearly. (It's easy for the volume to creep up when you're straining to hear the details in the bass.)

I don't have any personal experience with the HSU VTF-2 MK4 but it is a well respected sub here in the forums, along with Rythmik, Outlaw, Powersound and SVS subs. (I have an SVS SB12-NSD and it works great in an apartment.)
Quote:

... 340SEs as surrounds are also kinda large, especially in an aparrtment? Would you put them on stands adjacent to your main LP?

Smaller speakers for surrounds is considered common and acceptable in the forums. A notable exception is for folks who often listen to 5-channel (multi-channel) recorded music (different than stereo music processed through Pro-Logic).

But, it's not like the 170's are some satellite speaker with weak mids and no low end. A lot of people use them for LR front mains wink.gif
post #8 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, apartments and great woofage can be a issue. I think when people wax lyrical on their new gear they're mostly excited about the new gear. smile.gif 340SEs as surrounds are also kinda large, especially in an aparrtment? Would you put them on stands adjacent to your main LP?

Here is how smile.gif :

I'm leaning towards the 340's as surrounds- as well as looking into 5.1 music. I have come across 24-bit music with large bitrates, but only in stereo. I'm considering the 340 center speaker as the, ahem, center as well. The Sierra 1 center isn't that much more, but it would pay to have all the speakers well-matched, right? As for the pad/riser, does it help already that the sub came with carpet spikes?
post #9 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlynx View Post

I'm leaning towards the 340's as surrounds- as well as looking into 5.1 music. ...
If you're interested in 5.1 music then the 340's as surrounds will be a treat wink.gif
Quote:

... I'm considering the 340 center speaker as the, ahem, center as well. The Sierra 1 center isn't that much more, but it would pay to have all the speakers well-matched, right?
Yes, matching is the priority. If you're using 340's as LR mains then you want the 340 center.
Quote:

... As for the pad/riser, does it help already that the sub came with carpet spikes?
I'm sure it "helps", but using a pad/riser makes a big difference. Reducing the vibrations in the floor/walls will typically let you up the sub's volume a bit (and it often cleans up the subs sound some). This is the one I use ...
http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Subwoofer-Isolation-15x15x3-inch-Charcoal/dp/B001140OZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372656724&sr=8-1&keywords=subwoofer+riser
But really any of them work fine. My neighbor actually made his out of $10 black shipping foam from a box store, honestly I think it works better than mine wink.gif
post #10 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd go with the 340 center over the Sierra for output as well as a match across the front three (and if it could be done, I'd use three regular 340SEs in a vertical orientation but that can be hard to do depending on your room setup).

As far as just using a pad like the Auralex, believe it was Bill Fitzmaurice who did a bunch of measurements and found these types of pads do nothing measureable. Believe he puts them in the class of magic speaker wire and such. The sub can induce vibrations in floors and walls simply by operating properly, depends somewhat on the resonance of your walls/floors.

Here's the thread I was thinking of http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449388/my-ocd-with-the-auralex-subdude-hd

As to a true riser to elevate the sub (and more than just an inch or few), that would probably have some real audible difference but still your neighbors would probably know you have a sub.

post #11 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

I think a good reason for using the 340's over the 170's for the rears, is that they simply look a lot better! Shallow, I know. But the small-grill-area look of the 170's is pretty dated looking. Those Klipsch Reference speakers that I'll be sending back tomorrow look too awesome (but they sound too harsh).

On the other hand, not having a weak link in the system is probably 70% OCD on my part as well rolleyes.gif
post #12 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey if you want it and can afford it, do it!

post #13 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Sure I can afford it...after another week or two of work smile.gif
post #14 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Don't forget that hsu used to be on ascends web page(if I'm remembering correctly) and IV heard many say the blend well with ascend speakers.

I just like how unbelievable the rythmiks are accuracy wise. Must be do to servo design I'd guess..

If u like your hsu I'd hang on to it personally

Yamaha rxv373Ascend acoustics cbm 340se mainsAscend acoustics 340se centerAscend acoustics 170se rear SSRythmik lv12r
Dual rythmik fv15hps
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
post #15 of 32 Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I recently read that too, in an old review of the 170's. I have yet to read anyone directly comparing the HSU and the Rythmik, and I've looked. Just lots of "The Rythmik is awesome. And the HSU is also great." My OCD would nag me mightily about getting whichever one was incrementally better. I'm like that with black levels too.

But I do distinctly remember when first using my HSU, I was watching the beginning of Transformers: Dark of the Moon, the part on Cybertron where they showed the inside of a ship while they were firing giant bullets (rrgh, how come they never used lasers in that whole movie series? Cause they don't make explode enough, duh!) anyway, when the shells were hitting the ground, the very deep clanging of them bouncing off the ship's hull was incredibly detailed, and immensely satisfying to behold (much moreso than those drab and convoluted robot designs). Something my BIC H-100, which I loved, didn't render nearly as well.

In fact, I've decided to mux out that exact clip (with 1536 kbps DTS audio), and upload it so y'all can test it on your own equipment and see what you think: Transformers Clip
post #16 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

I sent an email on the subject to Ascend Acousticss and here is the reply from the owner:

Thanks for the inquiry!

The VTF-2 MK4 is a great subwoofer for the money, however -- it is entirely outclassed (in my professional experience) by the Rythmik FV15. The Rythmik extends deeper, provides greater output, sounds "tighter" with more punch while also being more detailed.

Quick question for you, what are the room dimensions? Also, do you feel something is lacking with the VTF2?

Thanks in advance!

Good Sound To You!
ASCEND ACOUSTICS, INC.
post #17 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I sent an email on the subject to Ascend Acousticss and here is the reply from the owner:

Thanks for the inquiry!

The VTF-2 MK4 is a great subwoofer for the money, however -- it is entirely outclassed (in my professional experience) by the Rythmik FV15. The Rythmik extends deeper, provides greater output, sounds "tighter" with more punch while also being more detailed.

Quick question for you, what are the room dimensions? Also, do you feel something is lacking with the VTF2?

Thanks in advance!

Good Sound To You!
ASCEND ACOUSTICS, INC.

VTF-2 MK4: $560
Rythmik FV15: $1125

It better sound better for double the cost biggrin.gif Two different classes of subs so as one would expect, the much more expensive subwoofer is better. Yes it would certainly be an upgrade and would provide greater output and deeper bass, but if you wanted to spend $1000 on a sub you should be comparing it to the Hsu ULS-15. Then you have to decide whether you actually need another subwoofer.
post #18 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Ya the fv15hp HP would destroy your hsu but at that price its not a fair comparison.

I have the lv12r and I bet its tighter and more accurate than ur hsu.

Its honestly the most tight and accurate sub IV ever heard

Yamaha rxv373Ascend acoustics cbm 340se mainsAscend acoustics 340se centerAscend acoustics 170se rear SSRythmik lv12r
Dual rythmik fv15hps
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
post #19 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh whoops. I meant to ask about the LV12R, not the F15!

Newc33, what makes you think it's much better than the Hsu?
post #20 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Well its hard for me to comment because I have never heard your hsu and I'm not gona act like I have or act like I'm some kind of expert cause I'm not, however if I had to answer your question I'd say rythmiks advanced servo technology.

I'm will to bet that the hsu is about 1 step below it in the quality and acurracy.

Also my sub seems to handle being "pushed" particularly well.

I don't think you see a huge difference in the lv12r and your sub except for the lv12r edging it out slightly in the quality department.

Ask Dave from ascend what he thinks, he has delt directly with both such s

Dual rythmik fv15hps
post #21 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
My guess is that changing from the VTF-2 MK4 to the LV12R would likely be a small incremental upgrade. Shadyj did a comparison of the HSU VTF-3 MK3 and Outlaw LFM-1 EX with the FV12 (the LV12R is a revision of it) and the difference was not substantial, with the FV12 sometimes providing a little extra texturing in HT usage, but the larger subs definitely digging deeper in response.

I'd suggest another VTF-2 MK4. Dual subs have the benefit of smoothing the in-room response across a wider seating area. Really can be a nice sound improvement.

Or you might look at the Rythmik F15. Better driver than the LV12R.
zencarver likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #22 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

I completely agree with cel4145

Dual rythmik fv15hps
post #23 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You do realize that Ascend recommended HSU subs, and HSU Ascend speakers, until HSU decided to get into the speaker market right? If either Ascend or Rythmik ever decided to cross each others markets then you can expect them to all of a sudden "not work as well together" when you ask the company who you should give your money to. wink.gif

The easiest thing for you to do is add another VTF 2 to your setup to help smooth the in room response, and if you still have money to burn you can add a measurement setup with a EQ like a miniDSP to optimize your setup to an even greater level.
post #24 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

You do realize that Ascend recommended HSU subs, and HSU Ascend speakers, until HSU decided to get into the speaker market right? If either Ascend or Rythmik ever decided to cross each others markets then you can expect them to all of a sudden "not work as well together" when you ask the company who you should give your money to. wink.gif

The easiest thing for you to do is add another VTF 2 to your setup to help smooth the in room response, and if you still have money to burn you can add a measurement setup with a EQ like a miniDSP to optimize your setup to an even greater level.
It wasn't because Hsu got into the speaker market(although I wouldn't doubt that would have been an issue), it was because Hsu decided not to sell through second parties any longer.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #25 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I informed u of that post 14

Dual rythmik fv15hps
post #26 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

It wasn't because Hsu got into the speaker market(although I wouldn't doubt that would have been an issue), it was because Hsu decided not to sell through second parties any longer.

It all goes hand in hand. The HB1 and 170 are direct competitors, regardless of what is said..
post #27 of 32 Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

It all goes hand in hand. The HB1 and 170 are direct competitors, regardless of what is said..
LIke I said, I would not doubt it would have been an issue, but the partnership ended, if I remember correctly, a year or two before the HB-1 was introduced.

I know Dr. Hsu and DaveF personally, and the reason for the end of the partnership, at the time, had nothing to do with a speaker. Hsu stopped selling Ascend speakers even longer before that.

FWIW...I also think it would be smarter to add a VTF-2.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #28 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

My room is still 10' high, 16' wide, 13' deep. Would adding a 2nd sub at this point really be such a good idea?
post #29 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Yes smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #30 of 32 Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

...Fair enough tongue.gif I guess I could tuck one behind the couch. But it'll have to wait until AFTER I've upgraded my Epson 5020 UB to a Sony VW90ES
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page