Looking for a new 5.1 or 7.1 setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roadking00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm in the market now for a new set of good quality speakers and Sub...I will eventually have a newer 65" plasma mounted on the wall and for now a Marantz SR 7300 AVR (can always upgrade at a later date) , looking for a good wall mountable set not too small like satellites but not huge neither? I'm looking for good crisp solid sound for watching good action movies (and my sons cartoons and Disney stuff) but at the same time want to have good quality regular TV watching audio at normal volume levels, don't wanna have to crank it up to high just to watch the news (if that makes any sense) I like to really feel the bass on a good movie or just a good concert on DVD...been reading a lot on here and there are so many different options out there? I don't wanna break the bank but I think somewhere between 1000-2000 for the speakers should be able to get me a good quality sound?? Any help is much appreciated....

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk
roadking00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Speakers: AscendAcoustics.com
- CMT-340 SE mains
- CMT-340 SE C center
- CBM-170 SE surrounds
Total = $998 + $98 shipping.

Subwoofer: RythmikAudio.com
- LV12R subwoofer ($589, shipped)

Grand total: $1,685
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
avfanatic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hsu Research Hybrid 3 5.1 Package:
Prices range from $1599 to $2198 shipped depending on whether you want a 5.1 or 7.1 setup and in satin black or rosenut (rosenut being a few hundred extra).

Both the Hsu and Ascend are very good speakers and you will have people argue back and forth each way and each have their advantage, although you will be happy with both. Regardless of whether you get Hsu speakers or not, I would get the Hsu VTF-3 MK4 sub (which is probably more powerful than the LV12T) although some of the more powerful Rythmik subs are very well rated.
avfanatic1 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 06-30-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roadking00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm assuming theses would be at a high end audio store to listen to?? They both look really good, the Ascends look like they may be to large though? Gotta measure a bit...don't want a speaker mounted on the wall that if to big looks out of place....I will be putting mocked up tape on walls for the Plasma soon and possibly the speaker dimensions as well.

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk
roadking00 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 06-30-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
No, they're well-rated Internet-direct (ID) brands, so you can't demo them at a store. But both Ascend and HSU offer 30-day in-home trials with money-back guarantees if you're not satisfied. All it costs you is the shipping.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roadking00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Major difference in quality with good in wall speakers? Was just chatting with a new coworker and he is big into HT and mentioned possible in walls as an option to? He did say you could and would most likely lose a little sound quality but decor wise can look real nice? Just researching and exploring ALL options....

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk
roadking00 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roadking00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I've decided on in walls....looking at a few threads now and Def Techs seem to be one of the top ones preferred...still reading reading and reading some more...
roadking00 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Senior Member
 
avfanatic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You shouldn't necessarily lose audio quality as long as you can still place them appropriately. Hsu has an in-wall version of their speaker on their site you can also look into, and it may be worth looking into in-wall speakers by Polk.
avfanatic1 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM
 
Brian323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post

So I'm in the market now for a new set of good quality speakers and Sub...I will eventually have a newer 65" plasma mounted on the wall and for now a Marantz SR 7300 AVR (can always upgrade at a later date) , looking for a good wall mountable set not too small like satellites but not huge neither? I'm looking for good crisp solid sound for watching good action movies (and my sons cartoons and Disney stuff) but at the same time want to have good quality regular TV watching audio at normal volume levels, don't wanna have to crank it up to high just to watch the news (if that makes any sense) I like to really feel the bass on a good movie or just a good concert on DVD...been reading a lot on here and there are so many different options out there? I don't wanna break the bank but I think somewhere between 1000-2000 for the speakers should be able to get me a good quality sound?? Any help is much appreciated....

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk


Hsu Hybrid-3 5.1 package is the win.
Brian323 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 12:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post

I like to really feel the bass on a good movie or just a good concert on DVD

How far is your listening position from the front soundstage? How big is your room including any open areas? Subs have to move air, so the bigger the room space (volume, not area), the more sub you need. If your room is really big, then you might have to decide where to compromise.

cel4145 is online now  
post #11 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roadking00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfanatic1 View Post

You shouldn't necessarily lose audio quality as long as you can still place them appropriately. Hsu has an in-wall version of their speaker on their site you can also look into, and it may be worth looking into in-wall speakers by Polk.
Thanks for the reply, i should be able to cut them in the walls at their optimal spots for sure..I looked into HSU as well as Polk in walls but after a lot of reading I was under the impression in walls with the backer box enclosures would give a much better overall sound (which to me make sense)...like the def techs have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Hsu Hybrid-3 5.1 package is the win.
Thanks also, those were one on my top choices until I decided on in walls....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

How far is your listening position from the front soundstage? How big is your room including any open areas? Subs have to move air, so the bigger the room space (volume, not area), the more sub you need. If your room is really big, then you might have to decide where to compromise.

My seat will be roughly 14-16' from the screen and only one 4'entrance way into the room up in the corner of the room where the TV will be but on the longer 23'wall not the 15' TV wall...and if I did my math right the whole room is @ 2900 cu ft....
roadking00 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 636
The LV12R would be very capable in a 2,900 cubic feet room. smile.gif

cel4145 is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roadking00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The LV12R would be very capable in a 2,900 cubic feet room. smile.gif

Looks like I may have a opportunity to pick up a Sealed Dayton Audio T1503K 15" titanic MKIII 1000W sub...maybe a little overkill for my room but may not be wise to pass up the price?
roadking00 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off