Why is is so hard to move used gear? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-30-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Starting off, I have a pair of Polk Audio RT-600 floor standing speakers that originally retailed for $679.99 a pair back in the early 2000s. They are in mint condition, and they are not the black cabinets, their WOOD.

I put them for sale on Craigslist and Facebook for $150 a pair. Now that's not a bad price.

They never sold.

So I lowered it to $100 a week ago, and had a bunch of people lowball me, but no takers.

Is it the economy, or something else? I mean that's $50 a speaker. The cheapest new polk floor standing speakers are $200. These were not the cheapest of the line either.

Then...I had a Fisher Studio Standard Record player, all I wanted for it was $20. No dust cover, but it looked fine without it, it had nothing wrong with it.

Being that the cheapest decent turntable is like $80, you think it would sell, right?

Nope..

So what's the deal with people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I think in this day and age, people have a bias against buying used electronics, since many companies electronics are so cheaply made, so they assume everything is that way. You are better off adverstising those speakers on a specialty site like this one where people are more aware of the quality of the brands you are selling.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #3 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Welcome to the wonderful world of retail. There isn't a day that a customer doesn't want a deal. Just the other day I had someone that wanted to use 10 coupons for the items they wanted to buy. I told them store policy was 1 coupon per visit. The person stormed out. We now live in entitlement nation. Everyone wants something for nothing.smile.gif
post #4 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
You are better off adverstising those speakers on a specialty site like this one where people are more aware of the quality of the brands you are selling.
+1. Audiogon.com is another good site to use.

Here in Canada, canuckaudiomart.com is a great site for selling electronics - you might want to check out their U.S. version, usaudiomart.com.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 AM

Liked: 14
I sold my Polk Monitor 60s when they were less than two years old for $150. I bought them for ~$240 but Newegg often sold them @ $99/ea so I was happy with the price. Try posting a link to a more current model that compares to those to give them some more perceivable value. I'm not a Polk expert but I think those are the middle of the RTxxx line which would translate to the RTi A7 today or the RTi10 (previous model). I'd say unless you need the money to hold out for a fair customer. $100 is a steal for those speakers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTi10-BLACK-Tower-Loudspeaker-Speaker-Polk-Audio-NEW-PAIR-/390589512601?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5af0f2fb99
post #6 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I rarely sell anything as I find it to be more hassle than it's worth.

I usually donate my used gear to someone who is less fortunate than I...

TAM
AcousticRanger likes this.
post #7 of 25 Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Man, if you live near Ks I'll come pick them up and pay you happily. That's a nice set of speakers to give away for $100
post #8 of 25 Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
HDTV I think that part of it is the economy. A lot of people that I know are struggling with money and bills, but also I see people wanting to buy digital music and not so much cd players anymore to jam the polk audio speakers to. people like those ipod docks skull candy etc. I have seen Rotel parasound, b&w, Linn, paradigm, magnepan have trouble selling on craigslist. I usually see the stuff re posted for months. If you want to try reposting it and nobody bought them for 100 maybe 70 to 80 buck range?
post #9 of 25 Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 53
That is why I keep my boxes. I had some fantastic Dynaudio speakers on cl for months with no luck. I know the bay charges are outrageous but it reached a huge market. I would up getting more for them than my cl price, even with the seller fees deducted.

post #10 of 25 Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
+1 on keeping original boxes and packing. I've sold a 7.2 and a 7.0 speaker system on craigslist and got my asking amount. Careful photos, with equipment nice and clean, offering demos and inviting the buyer to bring over favorite material has seemed to help.
Nethawk and xFreshEntrailsX like this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #11 of 25 Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

+1 on keeping original boxes and packing. I've sold a 7.2 and a 7.0 speaker system on craigslist and got my asking amount. Careful photos, with equipment nice and clean, offering demos and inviting the buyer to bring over favorite material has seemed to help.

+2

One thing that always catches my eye are people who mention they will ship in original boxes. That instinctively tells me the sellers are somewhat passionate about their audio equipment. It also helps if you have any or all instructions and manuels included. I have all mine in the garage rafters, ready to use if I need to sell something.
Nethawk likes this.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #12 of 25 Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Bart I think that the problem was a lot of people didn't hear of DynAudio on craigslist. Until a year ago I didn't hear of a lot of hi fi brands or know that some hi fi speakers weren't much more then the big box stores like best buy and hh greg and sounded better.
post #13 of 25 Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Summer is a bad time to sell audio equipment. Plus most consumers are not familiar with high-quality equipment and just want something cheap. As cheap as possible, that is -- many would rather spend $10 on a pair of plastic speakers from an Aiwa all-in-one than spend even $30 on a much better set of quality speakers. And the few who do know about the quality stuff are aware that they're the exception rather than the rule, and some will play that up to get a major "score!" before committing to a purchase. Or they're flippers and again won't buy unless they can get the item very very cheap so they can resell on eBay for profit. If you want to sell quality audio equipment locally you often have to be willing to "lose your shirt" on the deal.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM

Liked: 14
+1 on the "flippers" scenario. I find myself guilty of this at times. I often check my local CL in hopes of finding someone who doesn't know what they actually have and getting it at a bargain. Usually this is for equipment that I have no real need for in my system, so I'm not willing to pay "what it's worth." I have had good experience selling audio equipment on there but it was a major brand name (Polk) that a lot people are aware of and a quick google search gives them an easy reference for value and pricing.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Well, you know, it's not like either of those two items have got people saying they were classics and killer performers in their time.
Nethawk likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #16 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked: 16
I gotta agree that it's hard to sell used gear. Just for fun I once posted an ad on craigslist for speakers that are valued at $2800 MSRP, two towers and center for $650 mint condition, all three just to see if I would get a bite. I only got one and he kept saying he wanted less repeatedly, like $400 for everything. I obviously declined and wonder if he was messing with me or actually serious.

Ebay makes it worse 10% ebay fee, paypal fees, shipping, boxing prices since some manufacturer's speakers arrive intact but the boxes and styrofoam do not. Nearly impossible to repackage 60lb speakers.

Is it possible to list on Audiogon, no shipping and local only? Getting kind of frustrated here.

Just love seeing Bose and Klipsch selling no problem almost equal to MSRP. Klipsch I understand but Bose....................
post #17 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I've sold 2 pairs of speakers, a subwoofer and a receiver in the past year, all gone within a week for the asking price, all on Craigslist. I have a pair of Kef Q300 on Craigslist now for $450 that I bought from A4less 3 months ago, looks like they'll sell this weekend. I put a post up on classified here, $420 shipped, and every response I've gotten want me to lower my price. Go figure.

post #18 of 25 Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Being a buyer and a seller is both equally annoying for me on craigslist.

Seeing prices listed for close to new and seeing the same listing posted over and over until the end of time because of high price. Many sellers want close to new price for their used stuff.

Complaining about lowballers? That's not even that bad if they tell you before meeting up. The worst is when a buyer agrees to pay an amount, then when you meet up they try to lowball. I straight tell them to leave. So annoying especially when I have multiple buyers.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

csgamer some dealers who buy it for 20 bucks at salvation army and try to sell it for almost new asking price is annoying. three certain dealers on craigslist who i know they get a lot of stuff at the thrift stores because I have seen it there myself repost the same ad of the overpriced asking price then have trouble selling it and don't bother emailing you back when they say leave number or I won't respond or won't budge at all on price even when you show them other nearbye cities and states less then two to three hour drive away offering it much less then them. one guy keeps posting a non working receiver that says it won't turn on. resetting the micro processor didn't work. he list it as parts. who would want to waste 40 to 50 bucks on a non working receiver that won't power on or get out of standbye mode though. dealers who have flagged my ads looking for stuff to buy and they didn't like it because I didn't buy it from them I got them right back and got the persons ads deleted. when I called the dealers out who I felt flagged my ads they stopped for a while.
post #20 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

not everyone is always lowballing like some of the re sellers think. just because some audiophile is willing to shell out big bucks for a vintage amp on audiogon doesn't mean that I am a lowballer for not wanting to pay overpriced audophile prices. on craigslist. some dealers are honest where they get the equipment. others lie to me and say that a friend gave it to them.
post #21 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

if an item isn't selling for months it may not be a bad idea to lower the price 5 or 10 bucks. some loss in profit is better then having to deal with it taking up space in the house for up to a year.
post #22 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

hdtv do you think that you could convince them to buy the speakers by letting them hear the speakers in prison and hopefully they will fall in love with them?
post #23 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Suggest you folks look at selling on Amazon. Only sold 4 items; Oppo 83, iPad, DT 8040 center and 2 8060 towers. All items are current or former items Amazon sold. For current sales items, used prices appear on page with new listing so shopper can compare used vs. new prices. Product info for used shopper is same as for new. Always priced my items slightly lower than any other used price and everything has sold within 3 days and at asking price. No one tried to haggle over price.Note that Amazon shipping allowance is likely to low so you may need to adjust price accordingly. Amazon collects $ from customer and pays you in roughly 3 weeks by deposit to your bank account. Used customers will likely expect you to allow returns but you do not have to if you specify no returns. If returned, Amazon requires buyer to pay shipping and insurance to value. Discourages "try it an see if I like it" types. I would never use Craigslist or similar since I do not want strangers coming to my house and possibly seeing goodies they might want to steal later. Never would use Ebay since Paypal's negligence caused my identity to be stolen and it was a PITA to restore my credit score.
post #24 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

dsinger you make good points and provided valuable info thank you.
post #25 of 25 Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM

I've sold many pieces of audio and video equipment including amps, receivers, speakers, turntables, etc. on ebay. Yes the fees are high, but the world is your customer base, and it's likely that someone, somewhere, will want your items at or near your asking price...if you're not too out of line and buy your product at prices that will allow a decent profit. I've discovered there's been a resurgence in interest in vintage equipment since the return of the vinyl record, so I search out items still in good shape to send to new homes. Those pieces I buy that turn out to be too far gone to resurrect or turn out to be just plain junk I try to part out the usable parts to at least recover my initial investment. You can't always test components or speakers on site and sometimes have to take a chance on whether they will work or not. I've learned to pass on the obvious. When it looks trashed, it probably is. My biggest problem is damage that occurs during shipping. And I don't mean because the items weren't packaged well. I learned early that a little extra expense and effort goes a long way in protecting valuable and sometimes very fragile items in transit. Unfortunately, some idiots, especially at the USPS, don't regard your items with the same value you do. No packaging will protect an item from a 4 foot drop or a crushing blow with a forklift. I could get a substantial reduction on ebay fees if I agreed to returns, but that's not an option for me, especially when selling used items.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio T600 Floor Standing Speaker Each
Gear in this thread - T600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page