Polk Speaker Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A friend of mine has a Polk soundbar which I was super impressed in regards to the sound quality. It sold me on the brand, so I want to do Polk speakers in our new space. I am looking at the followings options - would appreciate feedback from people that own these or know a lot about them!

Front R/L
Polk Audio TSi400 Floorstanding Speaker

Center Channel
Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker

Subwoofer
Polk Audio Monitor Series PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer
Polk Audio PSW125 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

Rear R/L
Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
If I may, a couple of suggestions about your Polk setup. I have Polk Monitor 70 towers (equivalent to TSI500 or Monitor 75T) and the CS2 center (equivalent to the CS20 or 25C). The are fine speakers, very dynamic and clear....and for the money - excellent speakers.

The entire Monitor series ( Monitor - old and new, Monitor II, and TSi are functionally equivalent). The TSi400 = Monitor 60 = Monitor 65T, the main difference is who sells them and the price.

I strongly recommend you check our www.newegg.com and sign up for their "e-Blast" sales newsletter to catch very good sales on the Polk "new" Monitor "T" series. Shipping is usually included in the sales price (a very big deal for heavy speakers)

As to the subwoofer, I recommend the PSW505 12" powered subwoofer at the starting point for your consideration. The units you mentioned are made to a price point and I'm afraid they tend to sound like it.

http://www.newegg.com/Home-Audio-Speakers/BrandSubCat/ID-12345-494

IF you have room, I'd recommend the larger CS20 (CS2 or 25C in the other Monitor series) center channel. The center speaker carries almost all of the spoken audio and a very high percentage of the effects audio that is centered on the screen action - it should be as capable as you can make it.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input m_vanmeter. Why would Polk make it so confusing to have 3 of the same speakers? Or are you just saying that they may look different - but the stuff that matters is the same?

I definitely have room for a larger center channel, so I will look at upgrading that one from what I originally was looking at. Same for the sub.

I chose the TSi400 for the front surrounds are a medium between the 300 and 500. Do you have any experience with the 400 to compare it to the 500?
post #4 of 20 Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I don't know if you already made your purchase but I would strongly recommend you forego the TSI series and move up to the RTI series if possible. Especially if your speakers are for home theater use. The sound for me personally is night and day. Try Polk Ebay.....the TSI series is ok but if you don't want that itch to upgrade get the RTI line. As far as a SUB goes looki outside of Polk. They're not known for making Subs. Try SVS or HSU. The Polk PSW505 is an ok sub considering it could be had for 180..so in that sense its no so bad.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I really think the different Monitor series have more to do with distribution channels (and specific pricing within each). The latest series, the "T" series like the Monitor 65T towers and 25C center are the "newest" in the line of Monitor speakers and do exhibit a change in speaker layout and possibly the crossover electronics. I do not have any experience with the TSi400 (Monitor 60, Monitor 65T)....just the 70 series.

As to the above comment on the RTi series...I agree IF you have the budget. The Polk Monitors and TSi series are a hell-of-a buy when on sale and you will have to spend considerably more to get a noticeable upgrade in sound.

The Polk store on eBay is "Polk Audio Direct" and the seller name is "polkaudio". I have purchased from the store and was very satisfied with the speaker I received. Please, DO NOT fall into the trap of buying speakers from any random seller on eBay - only deal with the authorized Polk Audio Store to insure the quality and warranty of the product you receive. Be careful of shipping costs as well - speakers are heavy.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

I really think the different Monitor series have more to do with distribution channels (and specific pricing within each).

Agreed. And probably being able to raise the price, too. Seems like the Polk Monitor T series has been a little more expensive at Newegg than the Polk Monitor IIs.

This comparison of Polk Monitor II 70s and Polk Monitor 75Ts may help to understand better what is going on:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456569/polk-monitor-75t-vs-polk-monitor-70-series-ii-review-comparison

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The CS10 is their cheapest center speaker and sounds like it.

It will not match up that well with the other speakers. The CSiA4 would be a much better choice.

Those subwoofers are not what you want. They are inadequate. I suggest that you get either the Polk PSW505 or the Klipsch RW-12D.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleon621 View Post

I don't know if you already made your purchase but I would strongly recommend you forego the TSI series and move up to the RTI series if possible. Especially if your speakers are for home theater use. The sound for me personally is night and day. Try Polk Ebay.....the TSI series is ok but if you don't want that itch to upgrade get the RTI line. As far as a SUB goes looki outside of Polk. They're not known for making Subs. Try SVS or HSU. The Polk PSW505 is an ok sub considering it could be had for 180..so in that sense its no so bad.

Nothing has been purchased yet. Got a few months to figure out exactly what I want. I understand there is always going to be something better, but it also always comes at a cost. I guess I'm more curious to see what peoples opinions are of the class speakers I outlined then committing to spending even more. I'll look into the sub recommendations - thanks!
post #9 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

I really think the different Monitor series have more to do with distribution channels (and specific pricing within each). The latest series, the "T" series like the Monitor 65T towers and 25C center are the "newest" in the line of Monitor speakers and do exhibit a change in speaker layout and possibly the crossover electronics. I do not have any experience with the TSi400 (Monitor 60, Monitor 65T)....just the 70 series.

As to the above comment on the RTi series...I agree IF you have the budget. The Polk Monitors and TSi series are a hell-of-a buy when on sale and you will have to spend considerably more to get a noticeable upgrade in sound.

The Polk store on eBay is "Polk Audio Direct" and the seller name is "polkaudio". I have purchased from the store and was very satisfied with the speaker I received. Please, DO NOT fall into the trap of buying speakers from any random seller on eBay - only deal with the authorized Polk Audio Store to insure the quality and warranty of the product you receive. Be careful of shipping costs as well - speakers are heavy.

I will definitely look into the eBay store route. Amazon also has really good warehouse deals on returns - which I have used for all kinds of stuff and it is always a good deal. They also have a great return policy if you are unhappy.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

It will not match up that well with the other speakers. The CSiA4 would be a much better choice.

Those subwoofers are not what you want. They are inadequate. I suggest that you get either the Polk PSW505 or the Klipsch RW-12D.

Great - thanks!
post #11 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The CSiA4 is not a proper match for the Polk Monitor II, Polk Monitor T, or TSi series. It's the matching center to go with the Polk RTiA series.

However, it would be best to get the Polk CS20 or the Monitor 25C. These are the better grade of center channels to match those speakers.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #12 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts on these surround speakers:

It sounds like for the front channels I am best waiting for a good deal to come up on the Polk Monitor II 70s and Polk Monitor 75Ts. Center channel the consensus looks to be the CS20, CSiA4 or the Monitor 25C. Polk has a couple of subs that are decent, but I guess I may be better off looking at a different brand to get the best in this range.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshaheen View Post

Any thoughts on these surround speakers:

It sounds like for the front channels I am best waiting for a good deal to come up on the Polk Monitor II 70s and Polk Monitor 75Ts. Center channel the consensus looks to be the CS20, CSiA4 or the Monitor 25C. Polk has a couple of subs that are decent, but I guess I may be better off looking at a different brand to get the best in this range.

No. The CSiA4 is probably NOT the best center channel choice. Your center channel should timbre match the left and right speaker for an optimal front soundstage. That means either (a) using the exact same speaker as the center as the left and right (which is optimal) or (b) getting the center channel from the manufactured made to match in the same series. Even though the CSiA4 is a better grade of center channel because it's from a higher model series, it could easily be a poor timbre match.

But you can double check by asking in the Polk owners thread on AVS. They can also advise you regarding the on-wall speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread

post #14 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker for rears shouldn't be a problem. The front stage is priority since they do all the work and you want the front stage timbre matched as mentioned above. CS20 is probably your best choice. I use TSI400 for surrounds and my front stage speakers are the RTI series. At some point I will get the matching surrounds though. So you could just get TSI100s. Up to you.

Good luck
post #15 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

No. The CSiA4 is probably NOT the best center channel choice. Your center channel should timbre match the left and right speaker for an optimal front soundstage. That means either (a) using the exact same speaker as the center as the left and right (which is optimal) or (b) getting the center channel from the manufactured made to match in the same series. Even though the CSiA4 is a better grade of center channel because it's from a higher model series, it could easily be a poor timbre match.

But you can double check by asking in the Polk owners thread on AVS. They can also advise you regarding the on-wall speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread

Appreciate the info - makes sense.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker for rears shouldn't be a problem. The front stage is priority since they do all the work and you want the front stage timbre matched as mentioned above. CS20 is probably your best choice. I use TSI400 for surrounds and my front stage speakers are the RTI series. At some point I will get the matching surrounds though. So you could just get TSI100s. Up to you.

Good luck

I have tons of space in the front for whatever size speakers, but my surround space is more limited (open floor plan with lots of windows). I'd love to have floor standings for surround as well, but it probably will not work out. My only real decision to make in regards to surround is 5.1 vs 7.1. I've had 7.1 for a few years now and like having the best (yes, I know - there are now even better configurations), but I really wonder if it is worth it. Most of what I watch (antenna, AppleTV, Netflix) is 5.1. The occasional blue ray comes along with 7.1 and its always cool, but I feel like most of the "neatness" is just in my head and not any audible difference... Don't won't to stray from the original topic as I can imagine there are tons of opinions on this, but thought I would throw it out there in case anyone has any feedback with what I am trying to do here.

Thanks for all the input everyone!
post #17 of 20 Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

After looking at the Polk eBay store (which has great prices), I'm contemplating the RTi10 fronts, CSi5 and still the OWM-3 surrounds. My question now is if I need a sub right off the bat (I've read that these speakers deliver a lot of bass on their own). Also, I don't want to spend more than $500 on a receiver to adequately power these - is that possible, and if so, what recommendations do people have?
post #18 of 20 Old 07-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Liked: 11
My understanding in trying to plan out my own open floor plan is that it will take some serious subs, near field placement or a combination of both. I would go ahead and plan on putting whatever you get directly behind or beside your seating position.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-17-2013, 01:03 PM

I would recommend you find a receiver that has pre outs so that in the future your able to add amplification and adequately power those RTI10's. A receiver @500 won't do them justice. Now if you start looking at Yamaha Aventage, Pioneer Elite SC, and Denon 33XX, then you at least know your getting some good juice out of them to power your speakers. As far as a sub goes, I recommend HSU, SVS, Epik, or Outlaw. SVS has some really good subs for 499.99. Good luck.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would recommend you find a receiver that has pre outs so that in the future your able to add amplification and adequately power those RTI10's. A receiver @500 won't do them justice. Now if you start looking at Yamaha Aventage, Pioneer Elite SC, and Denon 33XX, then you at least know your getting some good juice out of them to power your speakers. As far as a sub goes, I recommend HSU, SVS, Epik, or Outlaw. SVS has some really good subs for 499.99. Good luck.

Hey - thanks for the reply. I actually settled on a little different setup after some help from the Polk thread. This is what I plan on going with for those interested:

Front
Polk RTi8

Center
Polk CSi5

Surround
Polk RTiA1

Sub
Outlaw Audio LFM-1

Receiver
Pioneer SC-1222-K (with intentions of adding an amp down the road - but the D3 should keep me happy for a while)
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page